Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Maximize windows over multiple monitors , Let a window use maximum desktop space » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 25907

Det Nader

Posted: 12/12/2006 14:01:14

I would like a feature that allows to resize windows using the whole desktop, which might use multiple monitors. For that probably the resolution and position of the monitors (in the desktop --> settings) must be considered to detect the suitable position and maximum height and width of the window.
A similar feature is realized by nVidias nView-manager, which I would like to replace.

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 12/13/2006 01:00:13

Det, thanks for your interest to our software. The feature you requested is already implemented in Actual Window Guard and Actual Window Manager since the 4.1 version: you can maximize any window to the whole desktop by the right-click on window's standard Maximize button. Also you can use the Resize feature with the "% of desktop" measure units to stretch your windows across several monitors.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 12/15/2006 03:58:58

Alexey,

That's true, but for those with 2 monitors at different resolutions, the way this is implemented makes it less useful than it could be - for me, it puts all the window buttons in an area that doesn't correspond to either of my monitors. I have 1600x1200 on the left and 1280x1024 on the right, and they are aligned at the bottom, so there is a rectangle of size 1280x176 'above' the top of the right hand monitor which is technically part of the desktop I suppose, but not visible.

For me, if a right click of the maximise button made the window resize to 2880x1024 and aligned it at the bottom of the screens, then everything in that window would be visible (and I'd now have a strip at the top of the left hand monitor which wasn't being used). Hopefully that makes some sense!

Cheers,

Dave.

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 12/16/2006 04:38:38

Though in most cases your suggestion seems to be usable enough, there may be some special monitor arrangements where it won't work as required; for example, the monitors which are arranged diagonally so the bottom-right corner of the first coincides with the top-left corner of the second (Windows allows such arrangement). What behavior of Maximize-to-Desktop could you suggest for such cases?

By the way, what was your reason to align your monitors by their bottom side, not top? In latter case, window captions would be visible always.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 12/18/2006 08:00:07

I guess whatever arrangement of multiple monitors you have, you may want to be able to automatically use the 'maximum visible' area for something, and not having to work that out by hand could be helpful... Monitors arranged diagonally would end up have a very smalle 'maximum visible' area across the monitors, but I guess the two monitors have to share some space to allow the mouse to move between the 2 (even if its only a couple of pixels!).

My moitors are aligned at the bottom as this gives the most visually 'natural' movement of the mouse from one to the other (I could stand one of them on bricks I suppose :)). Also things like Adobe Premiere timeline streched right across the bottom of the whole desktop are a classic use of multiple monitors.

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 12/18/2006 13:08:24

Well, Dave, thanks for the explanation. We'll consider this your suggestion while developing the next version of AWM. If there are any other questions arised then I'll contact you to discuss them.

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 10/14/2011 02:04:00

The requested feature is available since the version 6.1 of Actual Window Manager and the version 2.2 of Actual Multiple Monitors.

You can maximize a window to entire composite desktop via title button, window menu command or hotkey. Right-click the title button to maximize a window not to the entire desktop but just to selected subset of monitors.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register