Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «[FIXED] Long delay on new window creation in AWM 5.5 b2 » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 11785

tranglos

Posted: 11/05/2009 12:14:12

After installing AWM 5.5 beta 2 I started noticing one fairly significant issue: a perceptible delay whenever a new window opens on screen.

I noticed it first on opening TextPad (textpad.com). This is an MDI application, so when it starts, it first shows an empty MDI parent window, and then automatically creates a new document which fills the whole window, and adds a tab for it. Normally — without AWM or with AWM 5.3, which I was using so far — this happens so fast you never see the two steps of the process. Since installing AWM 5.5, there is a delay of about half a second between the time the main TextPad window opens and the moment a new document is created. This delay occurs every time I open TextPad, i.e. it is not affected by caching, CPU load, etc.

Another way it's easy to spot the delay is to hit Shift+Ctrl+Esc to open Task Manager. (Make sure the Task Manager will open to the Performance tab, and enlarge the window first to take up a large portion of the screen). When TM first opens, the green graph panes are just black rectangles, and again it takes between half a second and a second before the graphs show up.

The important thing is that *every* application is affected in this way; including a strange-looking delay on clicking the Start button. It's just easiest to notice the delay in applications that normally open very quickly. (Adding half a second to FireFox startup doesn't make much of a difference :)

The end result is that every program starts so slowly as if it were a .Net application — you can see the screen redrawing. My initial thought was maybe the new window thumbnails are responsible, but the delay still occurs after turning that feature off.

It seems as if AWM is detecting when programs create new windows, and does some lengthy processing before the program can continue execution. I hope you can eliminate this bottleneck. Please let me know if you need any more information.

(The issue may or may not be related to the thread on high CPU use:
http://actualtools.com/forum/read.php?FID=12&TID=835 )

(XP SP2 32-bit, no virtual desktops)

Alexander Belyakov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 11/10/2009 02:42:07

tranglos, thank you for reporting this issue!

We've managed to get rid of this annoying delay. The fix will be available in the coming beta or release (whichever comes first ;)).

tranglos

Posted: 11/10/2009 05:44:52

Fantastic, thanks!

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 11/20/2009 13:48:28

So the beta comes first! :) Please check it out and confirm the fix. Thank you for your help!

tranglos

Posted: 12/01/2009 19:50:16

The delay is completely gone, thanks!

However, my old problem with Acrobat Reader has reappeared. I first encountered in in version 5.4, and described it here:

http://www.actualtools.com/forum/read.php?TID=769

This problem did not occur in 5.5b2, but it does now.

To recap quickly: I have custom settings in AWM to move Acrobat Reader to monitor 2 and maximize it. When AR starts, it is positioned correctly, but the window contents is not drawn on screen (blank area). I have to force AR to redraw itself, e.g. by double-clicking the titlebar. I've tried experimenting with the AWM settings (e.g. use "save position" instead of resizing), but have had no success. The problem goes away only if I remove the special handling for AR window. The attached screenshot illustrates the issue.

(This happens with AR 8. I see now that version 9 is out; I'll install it and see if it makes any difference.)

tranglos

Posted: 12/01/2009 19:58:39

In addition to the above: the problem no longer occurs with AR version 9.2, so everything seems fine now.

Thanks again for solving the delay problem!

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 12/03/2009 09:01:07

tranglos, you are always welcome! :) Please keep informing us about any problems or ideas you have. Thank you for your support!

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register