Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Problems after upgrading from 5.3 to 5.4 » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 11350

tranglos

Posted: 08/20/2009 17:17:58

I first upgraded AWM from 5.3 to 5.4 when the new version was released in July. I encountered a few strange problems (described below), and had to revert to version 5.3. I have downloaded the latest release today (Aug 20), repeated the upgrade, and saw the same problems occur. I've had to downgrade to 5.3 again.

Description:

Win XP SP2; two monitors; virtual desktops feature not used.

1. I use a fairly light custom configuration. One of the few custom settings I have is for Acrobat Reader: I set it to always open on monitor 2, maximized. This works fine in version 5.3, but in version 5.4 (both releases), when Acrobat opens, the window is displayed on screen 2, but it is completely blank except for the title bar and menu (see partial screenshot). The content area of the window is drawn as if the program were not responding to messages (i.e. as if Acrobat could not repaint itself). The window is repainted correctly only when I manually click "Maximize" or "restore".

(I have a similar setting for .chm help files, but the problem does not occur with those.)

I suppose the difference between awm 5.3 and 5.4 may be related to this change in awm:

This improvement is aimed to result in applying the actions at window's startup before the window becomes visible.

2. This is a stranger issue, but it is definitely related to upgrading awm from 5.3 to 5.4. I have the Logitech MX Revolution mouse, with its thumbwheel set to control volume. When I nudge the thumbwheel, the mouse driver displays a volume control overlaid on screen. After installing awm 5.4, this feature starts to work with a huge lag: there is a delay of several seconds from the time I move the thumbwheel on the mouse to the time the volume overlay is shown (and the actual sound volume changes).

The delay is about 5 seconds - long enough that I initially thought the volume control stopped working completely. If I move the wheel several times in a row (to change the volume by more then one "tick"), the delay is even longer, and then volume changes suddenly in one step, rather than in smooth increments.

This problem goes away after reverting to awm 5.3, so it is definitely related. I have no idea what may be causing it, but the appearance is as if some Windows messages take an abnormally long time to be processed. (Normal mouse messages are not affected though).

I hope you will be able to troubleshoot these issues. Please let me know if you need any more information. I would love to keep up with the development of awm, but for now I have to stick with the older version.

Thanks a lot for looking into this!
marek

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 08/21/2009 08:42:03

Hi Marek!

First of all - great thanks for your outstanding review of AWM at DonationCoder! :) It's quite inspiring for us to know that our work is useful and highly appreciated.

Now, back to your feedback:

1. Please specify the exact version of your Acrobat Reader.

2. Did you try to exclude Logitech volume control application from AWM processing? I'd recommend you create an exclusion with only the "Program" criterion enabled.

tranglos

Posted: 08/21/2009 09:06:22

Hi Alex,

Thanks so much for responding. I really love all the features of awm and so far I'm happy to stay with the version that works for me. To answer your questions:

1. The version of Acrobat Reader is 8.0.0.

2. I don't think I can create an exclusion for the Logitech volume control, since it does not even have a window (or the window is completely transparent, I'm not sure). Please see the screenshot - it looks like a hardware overlay.

There seems to be some strange interaction between awm and the custom messages generated by the mouse driver. The messages are processed, but at a very slow rate.

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 08/21/2009 23:53:37

1. Okay, we will check it as soon as possible.

2. You can view the list of the running processes in the Windows Task Manager - it's very likely you may see there something like
Code
[i]MXControlCenter.exe[/i]
or similar. Try to exclude that EXE.

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 08/26/2009 03:34:32

Marek, I've just checked the first issue on my test machine (XP SP 2, AIM 5.4.1, Adobe Reader 8.0.0) - the problem is not confirmed. Probably, it's caused by some plug-ins that yours Adobe Reader has but mine hasn't. Or, it emerges only for some particular PDFs. Could you send us your configuration along with document samples? Thanks!

tranglos

Posted: 11/05/2009 12:17:09

I'm happy to report that in AWM 5.5. beta 2 the issues I had with version 5.4 no longer appear:

1. AWM works correctly with Adobe Reader when I use the "compatibility" option

2. The strange interaction between AWM and Logitech mouse driver no longer occurs.

(I've found another problem, specific to 5.5 b2 however, please see my post in the Beta forum).

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register