Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Organize windows belonging to Administrative Tools neatly , How to create specific rules for applets in a proper way » on forum: Window Rules, or Tips and Tricks   Views: 9630

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 05/25/2007 06:12:36

Hello,

I believe everyone (very likely, more than once) used Windows Administrative Tools. Nowadays everyone, who has a grasp of system administration/tuning, knows such Control Panel applets as Computer Management, Event Viewer, Local Security Policy, Services etc.

But, being vitally important for system maintenance and therefore used frequently, they have one big drawback: they are opened in inconvenient places on your desktop with annoying dimensions and, moreover, their windows don`t remember the changes that you usually make on-the-fly to improve those windows' usability. As a result, each time you open them you have to resize/move them manually - quite a tedious procedure, isn't it?

It is much better to open windows already "prepared-for-work". Therefore you can create a specific rule for each applet, defining its size and position at startup, or just saving its size/position on exit. I`d like to suggest you a tip how to do it in a proper way.

Create a specific rule, for example, for Event Viewer with the following Target Window properties:
Code
window class - MMCMainFrame
program      - mmc.exe

I`d like to draw your attention to the fact that it is not enough, such rule will be applied to other applets as well because they all have the same Window Class and Program values. You should enable the Window Caption checkbox, specify there the Event Viewer value and then select the Exact Match radio button.

Repeat the above steps for each applet that you need to behave ordered and predictable.

Hope this will noticeably simplify your busy administrative life!

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register