New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 81 - 90 of 92
First | Prev. | 6 7 8 9 10 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Explorer and system issues with 5.2 Beta 2 under Vista 64-bit , Windows Explorer still hangs when AWM settings are saved, and more. » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 199128

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 10/09/2008 10:44:36

Martyn, thanks for the fast (and good) report! :) Waiting for further reports... (hope they will be good as well)

Martyn Kenyon
Advanced user

Posted: 10/09/2008 11:44:23

Alex,

Been running just over 1 hour now, and absolutely no sign of any slowdown.  Looks like you've fixed the problem.

I'll be out of the office tomorrow so I won't get the chance to report progress until next week.

Martyn

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 10/09/2008 13:03:40

Martyn, that's the great news! You've done more than enough this week, thanks! :)

Gerard Booth
Advanced user

Posted: 10/09/2008 15:21:14

Alexey, Been running now for several hours, no problems at all, no slowdown and you have cured the quick settings problem with Nuance Paperport software.

Regards

Gerard

Gerard Booth
Advanced user

Posted: 10/10/2008 02:56:04

Alexey,  Been running RC2 now since yesterday non stop normal working conditions, all options enabled no problems,crashes or slow-down.  everything seems fine.

I look forward to installing the final release.

Excellent work. superb piece of software.

Regards

Gerard

One question, how can I disable the title buttons from appearing on the quick settings dialog without also disabling them on the program window they relate.

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 10/10/2008 04:58:52

Gerard, that's another great news! Please accept our gratitude for your active participation in this beta-testing!

As for disabling title buttons on the Quick Settings dialog, please try to create specific settings for them with the following Target Window values:

Code
Window class: [b]#32770[/b]
Window caption: [b]Quick settings[/b] (substring match)
Program: [b]\ActualWindowManagerCenter.exe[/b]

Then disable the title buttons in these settings.

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 10/10/2008 04:59:59

Jeffrey, we are eagerly waiting for your report! ;)

Jeffrey R. Broido

Bona fide, old fart, retro hippie.

Posted: 10/10/2008 09:50:42

Alex,

I'm sorry this took so long, but I just now noticed that you'd made RC2 available.

And you'll be delighted to learn that I have very, very good news, indeed.

For I installed RC2 and, when I was about to disable the 64-bit module and turn off all options, I just decided to transfer routing for our servers, risk a crash and start-up RC2 with all of my customary options enabled and the 64-bit module left active.

This was about five minutes ago and my system is still running just fine!

I'll report back in an hour or two to let you know if there are any issues, performance or otherwise, and I'll continue to save settings on a random basis.

Now, can you satisfy our curiousity, feed our glee and tell us what you found?  I think I know how you feel, for I've worked on many tough bug and the elation of solving the problem, especially if it's just a couple of lines of code, is nearly unmatched!

And even if there are still problems, Actual Window Manager is now clearly on the right track!

Regards,
Jeff

Jeffrey R. Broido

Bona fide, old fart, retro hippie.

Posted: 10/10/2008 10:52:28

Alex,

So far, so good.  All is well, no crashes, no performance problems, no trouble saving parms, etc.  Now that the core functionality seems fine, I'll start playing around with virtual desktops, console support, etc.  I only have a one-headed video card, or I'd try multiple monitor support as well.

Regards,
Jeff

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 10/10/2008 12:31:29

Jeffrey,

I'd like to thank you as for the most great news in this thread (it's quite a relief to get them!! :!:  :!: ) as for your patience and assistance on this long efforts-taking way. We are quite happy to know that our software has no unexplained idiosyncrasy to x64 platform in whole and to your personal workstation in particular.

Jeffrey R. Broido wrote:

Now, can you satisfy our curiousity, feed our glee and tell us what you found? I think I know how you feel, for I've worked on many tough bug and the elation of solving the problem, especially if it's just a couple of lines of code, is nearly unmatched!

Sure, it's just a little payback for all your help. :)

The overall system slow-down was caused by a simple stupid memory leak in the code that draws our extra buttons under Vista Aero. Thanks to Martyn Kenyon's long test run (Martyn, our respects! :!: ), we succeeded to localize the problem component and relatively quickly fixed this over-annoying bug.

The hang-up on x64 systems was caused by the tricky implementation of system hooks on Windows x64 platform (AWM uses those hooks to embed its services into other applications). After some research, our lead programmer found an approach that seemed reliable but we were not confident in it until your success report.

Jeffrey R. Broido wrote:

And even if there are still problems, Actual Window Manager is now clearly on the right track!

Yes, now it looks like we can finally go ahead! :)

Messages 81 - 90 of 92
First | Prev. | 6 7 8 9 10 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register