Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Features for a long time user , Monitor sides use relative mouse pixels, different resolution fixes, new defaults and more » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 14437

Martin Spierings

Posted: 03/12/2019 05:37:47

So I've been using AMM and AWM for a few years now and thought it was time to put in a few Feature Requests. Stuff that has either been bugging me about AMM or Windows that I think we can improve on.

So here goes:

Different resolutions:
1) When using a monitor that has a different resolution (like 2x 1080p and 1x 4k, you run into the problem that one monitor can trap the mouse. Having a relative and not absolute handling of the mouse when you move fr om one monitor to the other, will make it easier to drag windows, and give better expectations where it will end up when you move it across. Right now you can set in windows where the monitor should be located and can drag windows up or down next to each other, but when you move a mouse in the point that is not connected, it will just remain stuck. When it is 1080p vs 4k, you have 50% of the monitor which can trap your mouse.

2) There are also some annoyances when windows have different resolutions on monitors that when moved makes it seem like there is no end to it. When dragging fr om 4k to 1080p, sometimes the window is 200% the size of the 1080p monitor, making it pretty unusable to see where I want to place it. I'm not sure if this can be done (probably relates to driver/windows) but some progress would be nice.

3) Related to the above but actually a bug: when a window is too small, it makes windows/AMM handle it wrongly and tries to do something over and over. Say a window is 100x100 pixels, drag that on the bigger monitor and it goes bad. I often have this with the File Explorer window and it makes the explorer.exe crash. I then need to resize it on a different monitor, before placing it on the other.

Gaming on one monitor:
4) When I'm playing games on my xbox or playstation, my monitor (connected via Displayport) will remain active so when I'm doing some browsing or whatever, my mouse gets trapped and it makes it hard to switch between monitors. A way to temporarily disable/enable a monitor would be nice. I found a tool called "MultiMonitorTool" that is able to do this. A few shortcuts to trigger monitor 1, 2 or 3, etc would be very nice.

5) Default setting for new taskbars. When setting my multiple monitor taskbars, it sets them at some default value that I always have to change. I don't use search as a button, or the trash (I also find the icons to be a bit unfitting) and also some other icons in tray. I also always lose my pins (like my browser, explorer, etc) that I would like to keep. When you insert a HDMI cable to the monitor, somehow it seems to reset that and its annoying. Having at least a default setting or some profile for how many monitors I connect, would be very nice. I also have this problem at times on my work laptop that I connect at the office to various workplace docking stations and each time I need to redo some stuff to get working

6) Reading Notifications of the notification pane on every monitor. Right now when you click the notifications button on secondary monitors, it only pops up on other monitors.

7) Installation and (admin) system popups only appear on primary monitor. When installing, sometimes the installer only appears on my primary monitor. When you expect items to follow the mouse cursor it defeats your expectations on wh ere it pops up.

8) Maximizing windows when they switch monitor. When connecting/disconnecting monitors, they switch around and while I get that they don't know wh ere to go when the amount of monitors changes, they do switch to their non-maximized state for at least some of the applications I use (Whatsapp and Chrome often do this). Most often they are sized bigger than my resolution, making it look very weird.

9) Options and right click menus should be adapted for 4k and easily adapt for different resolutions. Using it on a 4k screen makes it all very small if the primary monitor is a 1080p screen. If the 4k is default, everything gets really big on 1080p monitors.

10) Dark mode. Can we get one for the application?

11) Remember favorite application window sizes. I always like my chrome, explorer, whatsapp, etc to be full screen. I like my skype to be a smaller window, etc. Can we get a setting (or group) that remembers how we want applications to start up? We can now do relative sizing after it moves to a monitor, but not on startup.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 03/12/2019 18:40:17

Hello, Martin

What OS you're running (version, 32- or 64-bit)?

What version of AWM and AMM you're running?

1) When using a monitor that has a different resolution (like 2x 1080p and 1x 4k, you run into the problem that one monitor can trap the mouse. Having a relative and not absolute handling of the mouse when you move fr om one monitor to the other, will make it easier to drag windows,
We'll consider your request.

2) There are also some annoyances when windows have different resolutions on monitors that when moved makes it seem like there is no end to it. When dragging fr om 4k to 1080p, sometimes the window is 200% the size of the 1080p monitor, making it pretty unusable to see where I want to place it

3) Related to the above but actually a bug: when a window is too small, it makes windows/AMM handle it wrongly and tries to do something over and over.
Could you describe this more detailed? What exactly happens? Are you always able to reproduce the problem?

4) When I'm playing games on my xbox or playstation, my monitor (connected via Displayport) will remain active so when I'm doing some browsing or whatever, my mouse gets trapped and it makes it hard to switch between monitors.
Could you describe your monitors setup and tell what monitors you use for what tasks? Do you mean you play xbox on one monitor of your computer setup and change it's input to xbox but still use the computer for browsing and the mouse pointer ends up in the monitor you use for xbox, therefore you don't see it? Do you mean you're not able to return the mosue pointer to the "PC" monitor?

A way to temporarily disable/enable a monitor would be nice.
Actually, there is the ability to disable/enable monitors. You can do this either via Desktop Profiles feature or using the Manage Secondary tray icon context menu item.

5) Default setting for new taskbars. When setting my multiple monitor taskbars, it sets them at some default value that I always have to change.
Do you mean this happens when you connect the monitors that you already connected previoulsy to your computer and adjusted the taskbar settings for them?

Does it happen only after you connect a monitor via HDMI to the computer? Is it some particular monitor or any HDMI monitor?

6) Reading Notifications of the notification pane on every monitor. Right now when you click the notifications button on secondary monitors, it only pops up on other monitors.
This is a known problem. We'll post in this topic if it's fixed.

7) Installation and (admin) system popups only appear on primary monitor. When installing, sometimes the installer only appears on my primary monitor. When you expect items to follow the mouse cursor it defeats your expectations on wh ere it pops up.
Unfortunately, it's not possible to move User Account Control window to other monitors. As for installation windows – they should follow the defined rules if they are affected by our programs. They may be not affected if the they are open in the "Run as administrator" mode (UAC window appears when you start them) and the "Support system utilities and administrative tools" option wasn't enabled during the installation of our programs. You can reinstall the program enabling the option and see whether it solves the problem.

8) Maximizing windows when they switch monitor.

9) Options and right click menus should be adapted for 4k and easily adapt for different resolutions. Using it on a 4k screen makes it all very small if the primary monitor is a 1080p screen. If the 4k is default, everything gets really big on 1080p monitors.
What are your DPI settings for each of your monitors (text size percentage in the system display settings)?

10) Dark mode. Can we get one for the application?

11) Remember favorite application window sizes. I always like my chrome, explorer, whatsapp, etc to be full screen.
Have you tried to use the "Resize" and "Open as > Maximized" actions at startup in specific settings for these applications in configuration module of our program?

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 05/17/2019 04:52:37

Hello, Martin

I'm glad to notify you that the subject issue has been fixed and the fix is available in the latest version of Actual Window Manager 8.14.0 and our other products as well.

You can install the latest version and confirm the fix.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register