Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Your "How to Upgrade" process » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 3950

cliff neville
Advanced user

Posted: 12/24/2012 03:59:42

Every time I see the 'new version available' pop-up I wonder what's new.  Then I click on the link and go to the upgrade page: http://www.actualtools.com/support/how_to_upgrade.php
and I think OH MY GOD, NOT THIS AGAIN!  I have to freakin solve a puzzle instead of just downloading it like every other product I own.  

I don't know the date I bought it, and I don't know the name of the product I paid for.  I have to go dig up the date and the product name, so I put if off for weeks.  This is a huge nuisance!  Where is AWM in your upgrade chart?!

Every time I see this upgrade page I think I should not have bought your product.  You really need to get rid of this.  Both the chart and the idea of paying for upgrades.  

On top of it, I paid a lot extra for AWM to get rid of the opening flash and it didn't get rid of it.  The windows still flash in one monitor then open in another.  I hate it.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 01/20/2013 23:50:05

Hello cliff.

We will consider your suggestions.

AWM is in the first group in the upgrade chart [Main product line (all programs except for Actual Virtual Desktops and Actual Multiple Monitors)].

Use the "Block premature appearance of window" option (Specific Settings > Startup) to remove the flashing of the particular window.

Best regards.

cliff neville
Advanced user

Posted: 02/21/2013 05:29:15

I am very impressed that you added the upgrade button, thank you Bogdan and ActualTools!

I do have the "Block premature appearance of window" checked for all my applications.  

I have mistakenly deleted code, ruined documents and lost backups because of the flash.  When I see the flash, I go to that window, start typing or clicking, then realize the NEW window is two monitors over and I just screwed up the original.  I have learned the hard way, to stop and look at all the  monitors to make sure I am working in the correct windows now, but that is not something I should have to do.  That is a trap that should not exist.  This flashing should not be there.  I guess I understand that MS-Windows stores the location when the app window closes, then upon opening the window, MS-Windows puts the window back where it was, then AWM grabs it and moves it.  But whatever the reason, it's a horrible result.  

Can you instead intercept the window when it's closing and change the saved location so it opens directly in the right place.  If the window jumps around when it's closing it's not so bad.  Or, do you have any idea why "block premature" is not working?  

A couple months ago I had to reload the machine.  It took a while to decide what to do about the multiple monitor manager.  AWM or Dispay Fusion or Ultramon.  I have licenses for all three.  This flash is by far your biggest negative, but I still went with you guys.  The control panel could be simplified, and I would prefer apps open where the mouse *WAS* when the icon was clicked, not where the mouse *IS* when the window opens because I often have to open 3 or 4 windows quickly, and I've had to learn to leave the mouse there until the app is opened while I could be moving around and opening my other apps.  

But I love the split screen setting where I can divide a screen up.  I love the your toolbars.  It's great you gave us the "restore all" from the icon.  Now you even have and 'upgrade' button.  

If you have any thoughts on why "block premature" isn't working ... I have Win 7 pro, four 24" monitors.  An i5 CPU, 8 gig Ram, and a hybid SSD/HD for the system drive, Comodo Firewall, Malwarebytes, and G-data AV.  Three monitors are in portrait, one is landscape.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/26/2013 00:37:33

It looks like for some reason the default settings, which have no "Block premature appearance of window" option are applied to your flickering windows.

What exactly windows do you have the problem with?

Make sure that the proper Settings are applied to these windows (window titlebar right click > Actual Window Manager item > Modify applied settings: % NAME OF THE SETTINGS %)

Also in some cases you have to use the Compatibility mode sub-option of the "Block premature appearance of window" option to make window displayed properly at startup.

Best regards.

cliff neville
Advanced user

Posted: 03/10/2013 16:39:40

I've been trying to take note of the windows, to answer your question.  

Skype.  I click the icon, the splash pops up on monitor 1, then the splash jumps to monitor 2, then the final app opens in monitor 3.  

In Firefox I do a 'save as'.  The 'save as' window opens in one window then seems to always jump to a different window.  The 'downloads' window does the same thing.  

Windows explorer.  I frequently need two WinEx windows up in two monitors for dragging files back and forth.  No matter how many times I try to remember, when I am concentrating on 15 things plus which files I need to move I click to open one WinEx window, then go to the next monitor to open the second WinEx and they both pop up in the same monitor.  Argh.  This one would be fixed if the app opened where the start up click happened, not where the mouse is 2 or 3 seconds later.

Notepad.  Wordpad.  jump around.  

Maybe the paradigm needs to be shifted or adjusted.  You guys wrote the program and know how it works inside and out.  But we are just dumb users, so if the paradigm were that each monitor acts as a separate computer, I would not have to try to figure out which settings needed to be tweaked.  You guys really did put together the most powerful multi-monitor manager, but I think it needs a simpler paradigm, or maybe just more hover help.  If you were sitting here next to me, and I opened Skype and it jumped fr om screen to screen, you might say "just click this box", but on my own don't know where to begin.  I've spent hours testing the settings and just have too much work to do to keep playing with it.  So, back to the paradigm.  I don't even know or remember exactly what Windows does without a multi-monitor manager.  But maybe you could let us declare a monitor as a stand-alone PC for opening apps. ... I don't know, just an idea.  I love AWM except for these couple rough edges.

I'm sure some of this would be fixed if you had a "open in monitor wh ere clicked" instead of "having mouse pointer" (2 or 3 seconds later).  

Okay, so I just looked in the settings.  I'll try turning off the default "move to monitor having mouse pointer".  We'll see how that affects things.  

thanks again Bogdan

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 03/20/2013 04:14:43

Hello cliff

i wrote:
Make sure that the proper Settings are applied to these windows (window titlebar right click > Actual Window Manager item > Modify applied settings: % NAME OF THE SETTINGS %)

What version of AWM are you running?

What OS are you running (version, 32 or 64-bit)?

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register