Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Newbie In need of some initial tips , Full Screen » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 7171

Kim Pennington

Posted: 03/06/2009 15:51:08

I am sure my problems are my own, what I don't know, but I'd appreciate some fast-track tips that would restore my productivity until I learn more. I have a large/wide screen and had every application opening to a preset size with the help of settings kept by Windows XP/Pro. I never use any application full screen, but by choice often have more than one application running and in view not to mention some visible desktop. I despise programs like Sony's Vegas that insist on full screen with no choice. Anyway [1] Since installing Actual Window Manager everything wants to open full screen. I see AWM offers elaborate ways to change the size, position, etc. but that would take me many hours, many. Is there a more benign way I can begin to use AWM, one where it accepts what I already have carefully constructed as a starting point and not this full screen business? [2] I use Outlook's password facility, and the main Outlook splash window opens first. Though the password entry window (which opens next) appears on the tool bar,clicking on it doesn't move it to the front of the Splash screen where I can then enter the password and get to my e-mail. Help? [3] The Windows firewall almost never wants to tell me something, but today it's on the tool bar and the window itself is out of sight and isn't coming forward when clicking on the tool bar. [4] Microsoft's traditional ALT+Tab to toggle through open windows still toggles, but now when it gets to those windows I already can't bring forward and see, I can't get to them this way either. [5] Microsoft's Power Toys offered an add-in that lays out all the open Windows in rows on the desktop so you can get direct access that way. That power toy view was launched for me by pressing the mouse-wheel as a button, and since installing AWM that button does nothing. Again in summary, I suspect your software is fine, and what hurts is what I have yet to learn. Aside from the questions above I think the best tip you can give me is how to begin using AWM where it takes what settings I have and assumes I want those, and then lets me customize as I may from there. That benign beginning I describe needs to include leaving all my settings (particularly the many window sizes and locations) where they last were. Lastly, and I should have thought of this sooner, maybe even before the order, but [6] could you also point me to a list of other known utilities or core applications that don't play nicely with AWM so I may be advised of that and start to make my choices and work out any kinks that arise from such conflicts? Many thanks. :-)PS, I am a registered owner under this same name, but my registration to this forum contains my new e-mail address. [7] Do I need to get that e-mail address associated with the software registration too? Where? Thanks, Kim

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 03/07/2009 03:47:17

Kim,

Thank you for your choice of our software. The first step in resolving all described issues is sending us your configuration: run the Configuration, then select File -> Send Configuration -> Send to the Tech Support item in the main menu.

[1]
Can't say anything until getting your configuration.

[2]
1. What exactly do you mean saying "tool bar"?
2. What version of Outlook do you use?

[3]
Same as [1].

[4]
Same as [1].

[5]
AWM uses mouse wheel click to invoke the Quick Settings dialog. The last release version 5.2 doesn't allow to turn this off, but soon the new version 5.3 will be released where you will be able to disable mouse wheel click in AWM.

[6]
Most of problem applications are present in AWM's Exclusions list.

[7]
No, you don't.

Kim Pennington wrote:
That benign beginning I describe needs to include leaving all my settings (particularly the many window sizes and locations) where they last were.

Being just installed, AWM should does nothing with current locations/sizes of your windows until you begin to do anything with its configuration (e.g. adjust Default settings, create any Specific settings, etc.). That's why we need your current configuration before proceeding further.

Sorry for inconveniences and thank you for your patience.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register