Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «AWM and Virtualbox Guest windows , No AWM 'extras' available » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 11827

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 05/04/2017 22:42:18

I'm guessing Virtualbox does something odd for its Guest OS windows, but they don't seem to register with AWM at all - no title buttons or extra menu options.

I can create a specific rule and target the window, but none of the AWM functionality is applied to that window.

Is it a lost cause?

For info:

Host: Windows 10 64-bit
Virtualbox: 5.1.22 r115126 (Qt5.6.2)

Corneliu GIURGIU
Advanced user

Posted: 05/05/2017 18:37:08

Just to make everything clear, you installed AWM under the guest Windows OS, correct? It's not installed under the host OS and you'd like it to also apply the rules to the guest, right?

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 05/05/2017 18:51:49

No, AWM is running on the Host (Win 10), but the windows that Virtualbox creates to display the Guest OS (in this case, CentOS) do not get any AWM 'decoration' or functionality. So, for example, I can't minimise the Guest Os window to the tray, etc.

Note that the main Virtualbox _application_ window is managed by AWM fine - it's just the windows for Guest VMs that aren't.

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 05/11/2017 20:24:07

David,

It's very likely that VirtualBox runs guest OSes in some kind of sandbox with limited or no access from outside. Do those windows appear in the Log window? If not then you can try either to run AWM with admin rights or re-install AWM with the "Support of system utilities" enabled.

J S

Posted: 09/25/2017 22:44:23

Unfortunately I have tried both of these things, running as administrator and re-installing with support of system utilities enabled, and it's not working. I realize that maybe you can't do things like apply transparency and so on to guest OS windows for programs like VirtualBox, but it should be possible to write the ability to at least reposition these windows at the very least. In other words, you can't effect the _contents_ of the window, but the position and size are within your control. The window caption can be seen and copied by AWM when I use the target crosshair and select the Guest OS window, so AWM does know that it's there.

Incidentally, this did work on older OS versions (Win 7 I think?), it's just not working on Windows 10. Also this is not just with VirtualBox, but also with VMWare windows. I think it's a general issue with any VM Guest OS window. Can you look into this, and at least allow us to be able to reposition these windows and lock them into place at a specific desktop location?

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 09/26/2017 13:57:46

Hello J S,

Unfortunately, we can't do anything with protected windows where AWM's libraries can't be loaded. You could try to check if there is a "Safe mode" or "Run in a sandbox" option in VirtualBox's and VMWare's properties.

J S

Posted: 09/26/2017 18:29:51

Vasiliy Ivachev wrote:
Hello J S,

Unfortunately, we can't do anything with protected windows where AWM's libraries can't be loaded. You could try to check if there is a "Safe mode" or "Run in a sandbox" option in VirtualBox's and VMWare's properties.

Thanks for the response... actually I found another program that can serve my needs for now, called AutoHotKey. It allows me to write some script code to select a window and resize/move it. In theory you guys could still have this functionality yourself, if you're willing to build a section of code that only loads a "lite" portion of your library that loads only for these special kinds of windows, but I realize that you might not want to write code only for this specific edge case. In any case, it is theoretically possible FYI if you decide to do it...  thanks!

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 09/27/2017 14:41:08

J S,

I've just tried to reproduce the behavior with VMWare Workstation's Guest OS (version 12.5.3 pro) and Actual Window Manager (version 8.11.1) on my Windows 10 64-bit machine and was unable to do this. Could you specify your VMWare product and its version? Please also specify your version of VirtualBox and send us your configuration files (Actual Window Manager -> Tools -> Configuration -> Send to Tech Support).

J S

Posted: 09/29/2017 06:49:53

Vasiliy Ivachev wrote:
J S,

I've just tried to reproduce the behavior with VMWare Workstation's Guest OS (version 12.5.3 pro) and Actual Window Manager (version 8.11.1) on my Windows 10 64-bit machine and was unable to do this. Could you specify your VMWare product and its version? Please also specify your version of VirtualBox and send us your configuration files (Actual Window Manager -> Tools -> Configuration -> Send to Tech Support).

Both VMWare and VB are the latest versions downloaded from their sites, on a brand-new Windows 10 installation, as I just put both those programs on there. I am using the latest verison of AWM on trial license. I have sent in my config files as requested via email, referencing this thread.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 10/02/2017 18:01:10

Hello, J S

Could you clarify, what VMWare product you're running: Workstation Pro or Workstation Player.

Could you send us a screenshot of the Workstation product guest OS window?

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register