New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 21 - 30 of 39
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 4 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Display issues/latency + long load times Multiple Monitors 8.9.1/Win10 » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 157122

Paul

Posted: 02/13/2017 17:07:35

Both of these apps have lots of windows that open at various times especially Lync. The number of windows will impact the amount of GDI objects. So, not sure exactly what I had opened last time, however here are the numbers for Lync and Outlook for just the basic number of windows (single window of outlook and main window of Lync)

Handles: Lync = 3371 Outlook = 5755
User Objects: Lync = 196 Outlook = 1259
GDI Objects: Lync = 170 Outlook = 993

Paul

Posted: 02/14/2017 16:22:44

Something that I thought of that is very relevant to this issue, is that this...
a) Configuration
b) Application stack (Outlook and Lync 2016)

Was running fine under Windows 7. It has only been since moving to Windows 10 that I've had the issue with Actual Tools and these applications.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/16/2017 15:59:27

Gentlemen,

Could you check whether the issues with Office programs and with freezing of the system depend on the time the system works without restart: reset the computer, launch AWM and the application you have the problem with (Otlook, Lync or other) and right after that try to reproduce these issues see whether they appear this time.

If it's possible to reproduce the problems right after the system restart, then try to reproduce them several times and check whether they happen every time.

If the problems don't appear the first time you try to reproduce them, then see after what time of the system work without restarts the problems appear.

Could you also pay attention whether the problems depend on the time the computer stays in the Locked/Sleep mode?

Do the issues start to appear every time after they appear once?

Could you also when the issues appear go to the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) > Processes tab (or Details tab in Windows 8 and 10) and end the dwm.exe process and see whether the issues stop immediately.

Paul

Posted: 02/16/2017 17:18:09

Helpful to remember that there are three problems that Stefan reported in this original thread. Hence investigative steps might apply differently to each one,

1) On the issue of windows not drawing correctly or becoming non responsive.
For me, not all applications that we have mentioned will fail 100% of the time. Lync is the worst with Outlook coming in second. I can get these applicatiosn to fail on
- Resume
- Monitors going into or out of standby
- Change of resolution
If an application is going to fail, doesn't matter whether it's 5 min or 5 hours i.e. I've had lync fail when the monitor has gone into standby after 5 min or after 5 hours with the laptop down in standby
Killing dwm.exe doesn't help.

The only way I've found to get out of this situation when it happens is to kill the app and open it again. Pausing AWM.exe will not fix. Again, if AWM.exe isn't running it's not an issue.

2) On the mouse lag issue
This is far less frequent than the above issue. I can't get it to reproduce regularly based on the three scenarios. However I have been able to get it to do it sometimes by just pausing and resuming AWM. The period of mouse lag for me is about 5-10 seconds. I could barely open task manager in that time to try and kill dwm.exe

Stefan Vetter

Posted: 02/16/2017 18:56:02

Hi all,

I can commit that on Win7 everything was working properly (besides the resolution change/monitor change, but that was less slow than with Win10).

Also for me the issue with Outlook and Lync does not only appear after any action, it also appears when switching applications. From my point of view I would count on some issue with window activation/deactivation (switching windows) and probably also mouse tracking in combination with it.
That would also co-exist with the other things I saw (switching back and forth to other applications solves several issues most of the time).

Can you probably try to investigate on this?

Thanks,
Stefan

Paul

Posted: 02/17/2017 13:40:35

Like Stefan, I hope that we can progress from a generic investigation based on standard questions that I've seen in other posts to one that is more targeted around this issue. I think we've proven that there is something here,

- Multiple people have reported the issues with Win 10
- Those same people have confirmed that it wasn't an issue under Win 10
- In my case it's the same video card as the Win 7 machine I was migrating from so that isn't a variable
- Not config file related as we are using the same config files from Win 7 on our win 10 system.

(Note I did see the mouse issue on Win 7)

Additionally while we continue to discuss the issue, additional people with similar issues

Customer having similar rendering issues with Win 10 but under RDP

Mouse Cursor Lag

2013 Office Apps Freezing under Windows 10

Office 2016 has issues with Actual MM

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/18/2017 23:47:54

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the additional information, but could you please answer the questions from my previous message?

Paul,

I hope that we can progress from a generic investigation based on standard questions that I've seen in other posts to one that is more targeted around this issue.
The questions I ask users with similar problems are targeted around the issue. This exactly is the information we need to know on this phase of investigation.

I've had lync fail when the monitor has gone into standby after 5 min or after 5 hours with the laptop down in standby
Are you talking about 5 minutes after system restart or after other event (for example after going back from locked mode)? It is important for us to know what time after SYSTEM RESTART the problem appears.

Pausing AWM.exe will not fix. Again, if AWM.exe isn't running it's not an issue.
I asked to stop DWM.exe process (standard Windows Desktop Window Manager process), not AWM.exe. Could you check this?

Paul

Posted: 02/19/2017 06:08:57

AWM.exe was a typo. I meant DWM.exe. I terminated this process and it had no impact on the problem.

The indicent with the window draw (vs the mouse lag. Need to be specific because of the multiple issues we are tracking) will happen
- When a monitor goes into standby regardless of how long the monitor was previously running for and regardless of how long the monitor was in standby for
- When the laptop goes into standby and comes out of standby regardless of how long the laptop was running for or how long it was in standby for.

It's going to be very difficult to measure accurately how long after a full laptop restart that a monitor standby or a laptop standby event would cause the problem. I can tell you though that I very rarely will shut my laptop down. I'm always bringing it up after standby. So I can say that my laptop would have been running in the most case for several hours before the first monitor standby or laptop standby event.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/19/2017 11:06:20

Paul,

When you write that this problem is regardless of how long the laptop was previously running do you mean "running from the latest system restart"? OR do you mean "running from the previous going out of the standby mode"? It's important for us to know whether all the problems described in this topic depend on the time the system works without restart. Can they be reproduced right after the system restart or do they require some time in order to appear.

Is it possible for you to restart the laptop intentionally in order to check this and then try to reproduce the issues right after the restart?

If the problems don't appear right after restart, then just pay attention and tell approximately after what time of work without restarts the problems appear.

Paul

Posted: 02/19/2017 16:33:07

Bogdan,

I'll do some more testing, however at this stage I can confirm that the problem doesn't look like it's happening straight after a restart.

Test 1
Test 1 Environment:
- Docked
- Dual 1920x1080 DVI

Test 1 process:
1) Clean reboot of system
2) Open 4 outlook windows and a few Lync windows
3) Put system into Standby while docked as close as possible after start
4) Resume from Standy docked as close as possible after system powered down into standby
5) Validate windows operating correctly.

Test 1 results:
Other than a momentary jitter of the mouse lasting a few seconds, all windows were functioning OK.

Test 2
Test 2 Environment:
- Docked - Dual 1920x1080 DVI
- Undocked - Single 1920x1080

Test 2 process:
1) Clean reboot of system
2) Open 4 outlook windows and a few Lync windows
3) Put system into Standby while docked as close as possible after start
4) Resume from Standy undocked as close as possible after system powered down into standby
5) Validate windows operating correctly.

I will now leave my laptop running overnight.

Will be interesting to see if Stefan can replicate my findings.

Should I be monitoring something "leaking" over time e.g. Handles, User Objects and GDI Objects?

Messages 21 - 30 of 39
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 4 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 2, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register