Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «[SOLVED] Weird. No Hide Desktop Icons. , HideDesktopIcons.exe » on forum: General   Views: 29946

Mr Woopie

Posted: 06/05/2010 04:46:05

Got a bit of a problem with latest version of Actual Window Manager.

I have a program called:

http://www.freewaregenius.com/2010/02/23/hidedesktop-hide-and-unhide-desktop-icons-with-a-single-click/

HideDesktopIcons.exe

(Which simply toggles the desktop icons on/off).

When I installed the latest Actual Window Manager, it stopped working? Anything I can do? (Tried excluding it / explorer.exe from actual windows manager processing but no luck).

:o

Alexander Belyakov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 06/06/2010 21:43:53

Hello,

I've just tried HideDesktopIcons on Windows 7 x64 with Actual Window Manager 6.1 running, and the program worked just fine. No exclusions were necessary.

What version of Windows and Actual Window Manager do you have?

Are there any specific steps necessary to repeat the problem?

Mr Woopie

Posted: 06/07/2010 10:59:53

Actual Tools 6.1 Alex, with Windows 7 64 bit.

Oh god... I hate it when that happens.

Weird thing is, I can right on the desktop and sel ect "View / Hide Icons" and that works OK (I know that's not probably helping much).

If I stop Actual Tools from loading up on startup everything works OK. (It still doesn't work if I just select "Stop" fr om the Actual Tools right click menu).

I've tried everything I can think of (like excluding explorer.exe itself or individual parts of explorer windows using the target finder).

How could I go about finding out what's causing it Alex, any ideas?

Alexander Belyakov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 06/07/2010 11:25:12

Do you use Virtual Desktops feature of Actual Window Manager?

Please send your configuration from the Configuration module via File -> Send configuration -> Send to the Tech Support.

We'll try to reproduce the problem, but we need to know some more information about it.

Does HideDesktopIcons refuse to work just from the system start, or it simply stops after some period of time?
Do you use Win+D or any other means of window minimization before you usually run HideDesktopIcons?

Mr Woopie

Posted: 06/07/2010 14:11:50

I think I might be able to nail this.

I had preferences from way back on version 5.4, so I killed all the config (except windows rules.ini) files and went with a fresh install. All config files read version 6.1 now. Worked straight away, UNTIL, lol,

I started setting my TV / Monitor Dual monitor setup (which is a fantastic feature of Actual Window Manager BTW!).

I have a TV which is UK PAL, 1024 x 768 with 25hz refresh rate and a 1440 x 900 DVI monitor. I set up to switch between both two Desktop Profiles.

Single Monitor
Dual Monitor

I used the nVidia control panel to get it set up perfectly then used the "+" on the monitor profile config page to create a new profile with those exact options copied automatically (so cool).

I turned off the taskbar option on the TV.

Then I saved the icon orders for both profiles (no icons on TV - all my icons same as single monitor view).

Then the hide icon program stopped working (not sure at what point exactly during the dual monitor setup).

Doesn't want to hide icons on dual or single monitor views. Doesn't want to hide icons on stop, exit and re-launch of Actual Window Manager.

(Just keeping you informed, but I'm going to keep trying to nail it).

Alexander Belyakov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 06/08/2010 00:08:57

I was able to reproduce the problem.
And it's comletely un-related to Actual Window Manager.

See, in Windows 7, some relations between desktop windows has changed, but HideDesktopIcons application doesn't "know" about these changes, so it fails in about 50% of cases on my test system.

Please try to download the following file. This program also shows/hides the desktop icons, but it's based on our sources, which correctly work under Windows 7.

Please note, that this program only does the same as the original HideDesktopIcons, but it's a completely different application.
Also, Actual Tools won't provide any kind of support for this program.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register