Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Minor bugs in AWM 6.0 beta 1 » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 8267

tranglos

Posted: 01/21/2010 14:26:59

I love the new 6.0, with all the recently added features - thanks! Here's just a few minor issues I'm seeing on Windows XP SP2 and SP3, with two monitors.

1. When the option "Enable multi-monitor taskbar" is turned on, the secondary taskbar disappears after changing certain unrelated settings in AWM main screen.

Steps:
- open AWM, click the Multiple Monitors tab. "Enable multi-monitor taskbar" should be checked.
- Click "Virtual desktops" tab, then check or uncheck "Enable virtual desktops" (doesn't matter which way).
- Save the settings.
- Result: when changed settings are saved, the secondary taskbar disappears, even though the checkbox to enable it is still checked.

To restore the secondary taskbar, one must *un*-check "Enable multi-monitor taskbar", save settings, then check "Enable multi-monitor taskbar" and save again.

Changing options on the Multiple Monitors - Taskbar tab does not result in the loss of the secondary taskbar. However, changing and saving other settings does - for example, changing screen-saver settings also causes the secondary taskbar to disappear.

2. Same problem as above, but the secondary taskbar disappears when applying settings in Actions -> Options dialog box. To reproduce, open the Options dialog box and change some settings, e.g. on the Hotkeys" panel, then click Apply.

Interesting difference: in this case, to restore the secondary taskbar, AWM must be restarted. The un-check / re-check workaround doesn't seem to work in this case.

3. Options dialog box, Hotkeys panel. Under "Enable quick window alignment" and "Enable quick window stretching", the hotkey combinations seem to work only with With NumLock key ON. If NumLock is OFF, these key combinations seem to have no effect at all. I suppose this is by design, since the numpad keys send different scancodes with numlock off. Perhaps include a numlock key state indicator next to the "numpad group"?

4. Options dialog box, Hotkeys panel. Under "Enable quick window alignment" and "Enable quick window stretching", combinations of modifier keys including Shift do not work at all or sometimes work incorrectly. For example:

Win+Shift:
- some combinations work as if Shift was not pressed. Win+Shift+2 (Down arrow) minimizes the window instead of stretching it. Other combinations have no effect, e.g. Win+Shift+4 (left arrow) or Win+Shift+6 (right arrow) are ignored.

Shift + Alt:
- no effect (Alt by itself is fine)

Shift + Ctrl:
- no effect (Ctrl by itself is fine)

Shift + Ctrl + Alt
- no effect (Ctrl + Alt works, though, so Shift seems to be causing the problem).

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need any more details.

chgoguy7
Advanced user

Posted: 01/21/2010 15:44:54

In response to tranglos' posting:

Items 1 & 2 sound very similar to the problems I reported some time back. Whenever I made a change in AWM options and clicked Apply, my secondary monitor taskbar would disappear. I had to stop and restart AWM for it to return. Oddly, I am unable to reproduce that issue now. For me, the secondary monitor taskbar no longer disappears.

Item 3. What tranglos reports is true but I would add that the number keys above the letters do not work in key combinations either for the "Enable quick window alignment" and "Enable quick window stretching" functions. Is there some reason that these number keys would be excluded from the key combinations for these functions? I don't personally use them but some users may want to.

Item 4. I am able to reproduce this issue as well. When Shift is used in any key combination, it does not work as expected. All other key combinations do work as expected.

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 01/21/2010 23:33:54

tranglos, thank you for keeping informing us about the issues you encounter.

Here are my comments on these issues:
    1, 2. These issues were fixed in the hotfix. Try to re-download 6.0 beta 1.
    3. You're right - it's not a bug but the feature. Adding an indicator is a good point, thanks.
    4. The issue is confirmed, we'll investigate it.

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 01/21/2010 23:37:25

chgoguy7 wrote:
What tranglos reports is true but I would add that the number keys above the letters do not work in key combinations either for the "Enable quick window alignment" and "Enable quick window stretching" functions.

chgoguy7, thank you for providing us additional feedback. Please could you specify the quoted? I've checked the number keys on my machine - they work fine (whether including the Shift into the combinations or not).

Alexander Belyakov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 01/21/2010 23:46:04

A "small" addition to what Alexey just said :)

First of all, thank you for your testing and reports!
To be frank, we've never tried to use the "Quick window alignment" and "Quick window stretching" with Shift. So the results were surprising for us.

A bit of background info:
The main confusion with both "Quick window alignment" and "Quick window stretching" hotkeys' settings is their edit boxes correctly distinguish between normal numpad keys, and the same keys pressed in "num-lock" mode. But currently they display the same labels for both modes (say, "Num 1" for both "Num 1", and "End"). This is rather confusing, and we'll try to change this in the future versions.
Please note that by default, all the Num-keys are recorded in "Num-lock" mode.

Real problems start when one tries to use those default numpad keys with Shift. I haven't yet found out what's going on, but it seems that when numlock mode in on, and Shift is held, the numpad keys send some completely different scan codes.

To solve this issue, please re-type all those numpad keys with numlock turned off. Visually, nothing would change, but in fact now AWM would react to different set of keys, and this set should correctly work with Shift.
(Unfortunately, if you then decide to switch back to "Num-locked" verions of keys, you'd have to turn on the numlock, and re-type all the keys once again.)

We'll think about how to add a new "Num-lock" checkbox to avoid this non-obvious way of making things work.

As for the "normal" number keys (ones above the letters), there's no limitation on their usage.
I've just checked them in a clean WinXP, and they work just fine. Of course, I had to enter them manually, since those "Num 1,2 etc" differ from "1,2 etc".
It's possible that some of the combinations with these numeber keys are already used by some software, of the system itself (for instance, Win+1, Win+2 etc are reserved by Win7 for keyboard access to the currently running and pinned applicaions).

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register