New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 14
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Virtual Desktop 'automagically' switches » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 23496

Matt Rasmussen
Advanced user

Posted: 11/17/2009 09:04:36

Something I've noticed for a while (I'm just posting here because I'm running Beta 2) is that if you are performing an action that has a dialog box that shows status and some type of other dialog box pops up to show completion of the task, and you switch desktops during this action but before the action is complete, when the dialog box does pop up on the 1st desktop and you're currently viewing the 2nd desktop, the virtual desktops wildly change back and forth...and quite quickly.

I'll try to recap

1)  Initiate an action on first desktop
2)  Switch to 2nd desktop
3)  action completes on first desktop and dialog pops up
4)  Desktops wildly switch between themselves.

eventually it settles down, but not sure if it's my wildly random clicking that 'fixes' it or if I was just patient it would settle down by itself.

Mark Fuss

Posted: 11/17/2009 10:00:22

I have noticed this same behavior. I cannot remember the applications involved, but I did not think that the wild switching of desktops would ever stop.

Alexander Belyakov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 11/17/2009 10:37:06

Matt, in what applications, and with which of their dialogs does this "repeated" switching occur?

Matt Rasmussen
Advanced user

Posted: 11/18/2009 08:13:30

I've noticed mostly with a suite of programs from Crestron, an automation company.  They are protected programs so you can't just freely download them, and I cannot give them to you.

But, I think I've noticed it with Outlook as well.  I have it happen several times a day, but am having a hard time nailing down a reproducible event.

I'll keep working on it and once I nail it I'll get the process to you.

EDIT:  I do notice that if you have a process running in any sort of dialog box on desktop 1 and you switch to desktop 2 during that process.  When the process is done on desktop 1 it switches to desktop 1 automatically, and then sometimes back to desktop 2 quickly after.  It seems that occasionally it gets 'stuck' knowing what desktop it should be on, some sort of logic loop.

It would be nice if you start a process on one desktop and switch to another...that a notification window on the first desktop does not cause a desktop switch.

Jolly Wykoff

Posted: 11/18/2009 14:24:32

I have noticed a similar behavior. It can by any apps that have a process going. It seems to happen when a process completes in another window. The switching can be 2 or more times before it settles down.
I didn't notice it is beta1. It is not reproducible at this point.
It would be preferable in my view to NOT have AWM switch automatically to a window unless we set a flag telling it to do so.

Matt Rasmussen
Advanced user

Posted: 11/19/2009 19:03:19

I think I may have found something that can be repeated, not sure with other programs, but with my system as I use it on a daily basis.

Initiate a process that has a dialog box and a completion notification dialog box (in my case it's the Crestron tools that I use everyday in my job).  When that process is 'in motion' and before the completion dialog pops up, switch desktops by using  a double click to the tool bar to an application that's only assigned to the second desktop, to initiate the auto switch (in my case it does it with Outlook 2007), if that notification dialog is on the same display as the 'switched to' program from the tool bar click (Outlook 2007), the 'wackiness' happens when the completion notification finishes on the first desktop, but you're on the second.

Does that make any sense at all??!!  Anyway, I could probably do a video of the actions if you think it would help figure out a solution.

Programs like AWM are such a huge challenge, I can't even imagine the complexities that are involved.  Again, kudos to Actual Tools for even attempting such a program, and having it work 99.9% of the time (seriously, I mean that as a HUGE compliment)

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 11/20/2009 13:34:48

Matt, first of all - thank you for your high appreciation of our efforts!

Secondly, I'd like to notify you that in the just released beta 3 we have tried to fix the irritating subject issue: now Virtual Desktops facility will make a 1 sec pause after each automatic switching so that there should be no uninterruptable cyclic switches at all.

Please report how do you like this fix. Thanks!

Matt Rasmussen
Advanced user

Posted: 11/23/2009 17:10:10

I'll do a bit more testing over the days, but it no longer switches on a toolbar click, so that's good.  

But I still notice that it switches desktops when a process completes on a desktop that you're currently not on....

Alexander Belyakov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 11/23/2009 18:34:57

Matt, we haven't disabled the automatic switching itself (though we are thinking about making a new option for it), we've just tried to prevent those "crazy" repeated switches.

Matt Rasmussen
Advanced user

Posted: 11/24/2009 10:13:18

Ok...I still notice one thing though.

When the desktop switches from the active one to the one with the process running, the notification windows don't automatically close like they normally do.

So, if you start the process and stay on the desktop you started the process on, when the process is complete the notification window disappears automatically.

If you switch to desktop two after the process starts, once the process on desktop one completes, the desktop switch takes place, but the notification windows is still open and you have to close it manually.

Big deal, probably not, but just something I noticed.

If you need screenshots or a video of the action, I'll be happy to help out that way.

Messages 1 - 10 of 14
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register