Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «AWM 5 beta 3 and NVidia graphic card move to second monitor problems » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 12118

Ernst Fueloep

Posted: 11/09/2007 02:36:06

Hi,

I moved to a new PC. This PC has a NVidia Quadro FX 1500 graphics adapter with two monitors attached.
After I installed AWM I noticed that several applications, like Lotus Notes, PCOMM, Notepad2 simply die without any notification.
There seems to be a problem with AWM and the NVidia drivers. I have installed NVidia drivers version 162.62.

I have configured AWM to use the title button "move to other monitor" on the apps Notepad2, PCOMM and Notes. Now when I start for example Notepad2 and click on the title button "move to other monitor" nothing happens. When I click again on it nothing happens. When I now click on it several times the Notepad2 window may move to the second monitor or it simply dies.
So, "move to other monitor" sometimes works, sometimes does nothing or sometimes makes the application die.

The worst thing happens to Lotus Notes:

I have configured AWM to move a Notes Window automatically to the second monitor and reposition it to the upper left position some pixels away from the left. Now when I start this Lotus Notes Window Notes crashes immediately without any error message when AWM is activ.

So, it looks to me like there is a big problem with AWM and the NVidia graphics drivers. Is this probably known?

I worked previously with a Matrox graphic adapter and everything worked fine there.

BTW: the same problems happen with AWM 4.5. I simply tried the newest beta in hope it will work better but alas this is not the case.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Ernst

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 11/09/2007 04:51:32

Ernst,

Could you please specify the settings of your NVidia drivers? If the option is turned on "Desktop manager" try to turn it off.

Ernst Fueloep

Posted: 11/09/2007 10:03:00

Hi Michael,

Unfortunately this doesn't help.
I have set the nView Desktop Manager to disabled but nothing changes.
Apps are still dieing when AWM is active. The "move to monitor" title button works sometimes but often doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Ernst

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 11/11/2007 23:40:30

Ernst,

Please specify:

- What OS do you have on your new PC?
- Were NVidia drivers v162.62 provided by default or you downloaded them?
FYI the latest version tested with AWM was 91.31, everything worked as expected.
- Do the error messages appear when Notepad2 crashes? Or it happens only with Lotus Notes? It could be great if you could send us techinical details provided in these error messages (screenshots preferable).

Thanks in advance.      

Ernst Fueloep

Posted: 11/13/2007 10:20:29

Hi Michael,

I have downloaded NVidia drivers 162.62 from www.nvidia.com web site. They have currently version 162.65 available.

Shipped with the PC was version 91.36.

I have now reverted back to driver 91.36 and AWM works fine now.

With version 162.62 the apps crashed without any error message. They simply "vanished" without a trace.
This is true for all apps I tried (Notepad2, PCOMM = Personal Communication, Lotus Notes).

Regards,
Ernst

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 11/13/2007 22:22:52

Ernst,

We will have to reproduce the situation with 162.62. Please specify what OS do you have?  

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 11/13/2007 23:14:29

FYI we tried to reproduce the situation with GeFofce video card (unfortunately Quadro is not available). The matter is that drivers for Quadro and GeForce differ greatly (since version 100.65). So under XP we tried to reproduce the situation with v 162.18, no bug detected. We can also try to detect the bug under Vista with v 163.69 - but still it will be just GeForce.

I can suggest you stay at 91.36 and wait for a new version of drivers, the situation might improve there.

Ernst Fueloep

Posted: 11/14/2007 02:31:55

Hi Michael,

Sorry, forgot to mention the OS I use: WinXP Professional with SP2

I think I will stay at 91.36. The reason why I installed the latest driver version I got from the nVidia home page was that driver 91.36 has a small bug: dragging a window from monitor 1 to monitor 2 distorts this window.
But with AWM I can simply click on the "move to other monitor" button and all is well.

Regards,
Ernst

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register