Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Command Prompt Testing and Miscellaneous Issue and Suggestions , Command Prompt Testing and Miscellaneous Issue and Suggestions » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 9617

chgoguy7
Advanced user

Posted: 09/17/2007 16:14:32

I had a little time to kill today and decided to put AWM 5.0 beta 2 through it paces with a command prompt window. I rarely use command prompt windows and never run DOS applications, so the window I was using for my testing was only in DOS mode throughout most of my testing. Generally, all functions worked as expected but I did run into an issue and have a couple suggestions.

I tried to run an old DOS game in a command prompt window that I had set to a specific size. The application was the DOS version of DOOM, which is purported to run on Windows 95 (meaning it should run in a Windows GUI environment). The game runs in a command prompt window and by default it displays in full screen mode but I thought I would see if I could resize the window, which I was unsuccessful doing. The application continued to display in full screen mode. However, the application was also acting erratically (the graphical display was quite messed up) so I plan to try to run a different DOS application later to see if I can perform the same functions using a different DOS application. However, I was able to successfully resize and re-position a standard DOS command prompt (as well as saving the current window size and position), as well as perform many other standard functions on the window including: changing priority level, minimizing to tray and screen, roll-up and roll-down, send to the bottom, and stay on top.

One things that I find confusing is that the disabled features in command prompt windows (i.e., ghost, transparency) still allow one to set these settings in the configuration manager, which gives the false impression that these settings can be set for the command prompt window. Is it possible to perhaps remove these option tabs from command prompt window rules altogether, or "dim out" the options on these tab, or have a popup dialog box display when one visits these tabs for a command prompt window informing the user that these functions are not available in command prompt windows (which could get admittedly very annoying).

A different problem that I have recently discovered with both Windows and DOS window rules is that when I use the window finder tool that assists with automatically providing window positions and sizes, my Microsoft IntelliPoint app crashes consistently every time I use the window finder tool. Windows give me the option to restart the application every time it crashes and surprisingly it does actually fill in the window position and/or size as expected. So for me it's just more of a nuisance at this point.

More information:
The executable that crashes is "ipoint.exe". In the Microsoft IntelliPoint software log that is created during the crash, it lists the following, and I am uncertain if this will help or not: Precondition exception: .\HunterDraw.cpp (219), HunterDraw::Draw, addr = 0x0179C962, last error = 0

I can send you the memory dump for when this crash occurs if that would be helpful. I am using the latest version of the Microsoft IntelliPoint software (version 6.10) and just checked the website to ensure that I am using the latest version available. Michael, you may still have my configuration files so you might be able to reproduce this condition on your PC if you have Microsoft IntelliPoint software installed. If you need me to resent my config files, let me know. And any additional information I discover regarding this condition, I will be sure to report here.

One last general comment: when one copies a Window Rule, the focus shifts to bottom of the Window Rule list while the copied Window Rule is created just below the original Window Rule. It would be nice to have the Window Rule list refocus to where the new copied Window Rule is instead of going to the bottom of the list.

Otherwise the beta is working very solidly for me.  

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 09/18/2007 03:07:37

Hello Nick,

Thank you for your interest to our software and time spent to test it.

First of all I should say that the suggestion concerning removing disabled features should be thoroughly thought over. Because we cannot foresee what exact settings would be applied to command prompt windows, e.g. it can be Default settings (that are also applied to other windows that support Transparency, ghost etc.). IMHO we can make a Note-section that will indicate that this or that function is not provided for command prompt windows. In other words it's another food for thought  ;)  

We will have to check the problem with Microsoft IntelliPoint (keep us informed of what you will discover yourself). And yes, I still have your configuration files.  

chgoguy7
Advanced user

Posted: 12/22/2007 16:37:42

Hey Michael,

I'm afraid I haven't had much luck trying to solve this issue with the Window Finder tool crashing my Microsoft Intellipoint software. Here is a clip from the prior post regarding this issue to save you some time.

"A different problem that I have recently discovered with both Windows and DOS window rules is that when I use the window finder tool that assists with automatically providing window positions and sizes, my Microsoft IntelliPoint app crashes consistently every time I use the window finder tool. Windows give me the option to restart the application every time it crashes and surprisingly it does actually fill in the window position and/or size as expected. So for me it's just more of a nuisance at this point.

More information:
The executable that crashes is "ipoint.exe". In the Microsoft IntelliPoint software log that is created during the crash, it lists the following, and I am uncertain if this will help or not: Precondition exception: .\HunterDraw.cpp (219), HunterDraw::Draw, addr = 0x0179C962, last error = 0"

This issue has continued to occur every time I use the window finder tool. I've just grown accustomed to it but thought I would bring it back to your attention since the new version will be released shortly.

Of added note, there was a software application that I used recently (the name of which is completely escaping me), but it had a similar window finding tool and when used it, it did not cause the same crashing behavior. I will try to think of the other software app's name in case it may be of help. Anything else I can do to assist, I'd be more than happy to do. Thanks!

Nick

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 12/23/2007 09:36:20

Hi Nick,

Please specify your version of IntelliPoint. I have checked this issue with MS IP 5.0 and everything seems fine (this version does not contain the "ipoint.exe" file but has "point32.exe" instead).

chgoguy7
Advanced user

Posted: 12/24/2007 05:55:20

I have version 6.1 of Intellipoint installed. I can also verify that I began experiencing this issue at about the time I upgraded Intellipoint to version 6.1.

So it seems my options are to revert back to the earlier version or just continue to deal with the nuisance. Any other suggestions?

Nick

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 12/27/2007 23:45:41

Nick,

We have finally detected and fixed the described above issue with IntelliPoint 6.1! The fix will be available in version 5.0. final release.  

chgoguy7
Advanced user

Posted: 12/28/2007 21:35:18

That's terrific! You guys are really on a roll with getting these bugs hammered out. I hope this issue wasn't too much trouble for you. Thanks so much!

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 01/30/2008 01:35:30

The fix is available in the final release of version 5.0

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 2, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help