Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Failing to apply window rules , AWM 8.2b2 on Windows 8.1 Pro » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 9609

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 06/06/2014 17:00:20

I'm pretty sure this only started with Beta 2, but I haven't been back to Beta 1 to double check yet.

I have a window rule defined on PuTTY Session Manager to close the window when inactive. I had a linkticket about this some time ago, but the rule as stopped working under certain conditions. I suspect this might be permissions-related, but not entirely sure how this all works on Win 8 yet. It's a pretty convoluted path, so please bear with me.

I'm using Startup Delayer (http://www.r2.com.au/page/products/show/startup-delayer/), which then launches Rocket Dock, fr om where I launch PuTTY Session Manager. The net result of this is that the window rule won't now close the PSM window. I can replicate this using a manual launch method (assuming nothing is running at the start other than AWM):

1. Start Rocket Dock via start menu
2. Start PSM from Rocket Dock

All is fine - AWM rule works as defined.

1. Start Rocket Dock via start menu, but Run As Administrator
2. Start PSM from Rocket Dock

Now AWM rule will fail.

It seems that Startup Delayer is running Rocket Dock with elevated privileges for some reason - I haven't figured out why, and have raised a ticket with the developer.

But in any case, I would expect AWM to be able to manage windows of applications which are started 'as administrator'. And it used to work, but just stopped, so something must have changed recently.

Perhaps AWM needs to be run with elevated privileges now? But this seems like an arms race - I've already had the problem wh ere I couldn't drag files onto other apps because of this privileges problem (see here: http://superuser.com/questions/477761/windows-8-cant-drag-files-from-explorer-and-drop-on-applications).

Since AWM is started from Startup Delayer too, I wonder if that's the root cause? Although, as I said, it used to work until very recently...

Tx,

Dave.

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 06/07/2014 18:08:17

David,

Unfortunately, the support of administrative tools was accidentally broken in beta 2. That's why programs running under Adminstrator fail to apply the rules. The issue is fixed, the fix will be available in the next update (either beta or final release).

Sorry for the inconvenience.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register