Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Feedback on Save Idle Screens , In AWM 8.0 beta 1 » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 3530

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 05/30/2013 02:27:28

I like that you have picked up the idea of an idle time screen saver. Does it perhaps have something to do with this feature request?

What I would love to have though, and that is why the current implementation of the Save Idle Screens feature does not suit me, is to have it switch on automatically. As I wrote in the thread I referred to, I sometimes forget to switch off a monitor when working on one or two of my 3 monitors. Of course, if I have to use the save idle screens feature I will also forget it....  :o  Is it feasible to detect where the mouse is and if it has not been on a monitor for a certain time, then show the selected screen saver? That would be the solution I was looking for!

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/17/2013 11:05:00

Hello Pim

In fact, there are two kind of requests in the thread that you've specified. One of them has been implemented, the other one is that you need - ability to work automatically. We don't plan to implement such ability for now, because of its possible great load on the system.

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 07/04/2013 01:59:36

Hello Bogdan,

I am indeed aware that there are two requests in that thread. I understand your reluctance to implement my idea, now that I know that my idea could cause great load on the system.

However, I do want to give some feedback to the request you have implemented (Save Idle Screens). I would like there to be an option to start the Save Idle Screens feature with the mouse, e.g. right click the desktop or AWM tray icon and then switch the Idle Screen saver on. That way I do not have to leave my mouse and go to the keyboard if I am currently working with the mouse, Also, I always regard hotkeys as useful when I use a function very often. It usually takes some time memorize hotkeys. If I do not know the hotkey anymore or I just do not use the function very often I always look whether there is a possibility to access the option by right clicking the mouse.

Moreover, for the Save Idle screen the monitor for which it is set has to be chosen beforehand. It would be great if I can switch on and off the Save Idle screen my monitors individually. I think that would make this function (much) more useful and also easier and faster to use.

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/11/2013 17:40:40

Hello Pim

Thanks for your suggestions, we'll consider them.

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 07/11/2013 17:49:13

Hello Bogdan,

Good to see you back! Thanks for considering my ideas.

Best regards.

Michael Plant

Posted: 07/12/2013 23:17:17

Hmmm - posted in another thread about this same request (automatic screen saver on idle monitors) before I read this thread. Interesting discussion, and I like Pim's idea about having a context menu shortcut to activate the screen saver on a given screen. I've been playing with the feature and as far as I can tell, the keyboard shortcut is configured to start the screensaver on all monitors, not just the one that has focus, so would also like to add my voice to this request (also from Pim):

Moreover, for the Save Idle screen the monitor for which it is set has to be chosen beforehand. It would be great if I can switch on and off the Save Idle screen my monitors individually. I think that would make this function (much) more useful and also easier and faster to use.

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 07/13/2013 08:30:24

@Michael

You can set the feature so that it only activates on certain monitors -- it doesn't require all monitors to be blanked. Just click each monitor on the setup page and select the respective screen saver, and select "None" for the monitor that you don't want screensaved.

But I think I understand what you're saying about the feature being bound to a static selection of monitors. I agree -- it would be helpful to have some sort of dynamic ability of screensaving screens.

Perhaps adding the ability to set more than one shortcut for more than one arrangement of screensaved screens? Similar to the Virtual Desktop switching ability, e.g., I set CTRL-WIN-1 to activate screensavers on monitors #2 and #3, I set CTRL-WIN-2 to activate screensavers on monitors #1 and #3, and I set CTRL-WIN-A to activate screensaver on "All" monitors at once.

Although I use keyboard shortcuts more than mouse clicking, an option for mouse activation could either be like the "Gather windows here fr om ____" function, or a sub-menu could display miniature pictures or icons of the monitors, with a mouse click on any respective monitor activating or deactivating the screensaver.

Or, a mouse shortcut could be set to activate the option based on mouse cursor location -- e.g., dragging the mouse cursor up to the top left corner of the screen activates the screensaver on monitor #X, the bottom left corner of the screen activates screensaver #2, the bottom right corner activates screensavers 1 and 3, etc.

In fact, here's an idea -- perhaps allow for a keyboard shortcut to dynamically activate the screensavers on the current monitors that are currently out of focus. So if I'm currently using a program on monitor #2, and I press the keyboard shortcut, it activates the screensaver on monitors 1 and 3; if I'm on monitor 3, it activates on monitors 1 and 2.

Anyway, just throwing some ideas out on the table. Above all else, I'm utmost grateful for the implementation of the feature in the first place, even in its current state. So thanks again, ActualTools.

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/17/2013 19:34:02

Hello Gentlemen

Thanks for your suggestions.

We'll consider them.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list