Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «FEATURE REQUEST for AWM 6.8. beta 1 » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 8684

Bertram Vogel
Advanced user

Posted: 01/14/2012 10:53:12

Hello,

the last couple of days i tested different softwares for using multiple monitors and improving the window management and i think i will stick to Actual Window Manager, because it has so many great features!

I am using Windows XP SP3 and the latest BETA of AWM (AWM 6.8. Beta 1).

Features that i really need:
1) No title buttons in dialog windows
I use a lot title Buttons, but i do not need them in dialog windows. For example if i change something in the AWM configuration, but do not save and try to close the window i am prompted with a dialog window "Do you want to save the changes?". In this dialog window i cannot read the window caption because it is filled with buttons (that i also just not need in a dialog window).

2) Sub-Menu for window commands
I love the commands in the window menu. But there are commands that i use regulary and there are commands that i use very rarely and i don't want my window menu to be spammed with entries. It would be great if i could specifiy which commands should be directly in the window menu and which commands should be in the "Actual Window Manager"-Submenu (which is already there!).
So for example i want to have "Minimze to Tray" and "Rollup" directly in the window menu, but "Ghost" and "Priority" in the "Actual Window Manager"-Submenu (ABOVE the "Modify applied settings"-entry).
Note: I also want to specifiy this for the "Options"-Submenu which is created automatically.

3) Startup-Setting for taskbar entries
Under "Window Settings" -> "Startup" it would be great to have the following two options:
"Always show taskbar entry on ALL taskbars": The window-button is always shown on all taskbars no matter on which monitor the window is.
"Always show taskbar entry on the primary taskbar": The window-button is shown on the taskbar on which the window is AND additional always also on the primary taskbar.

4) Icon and WindowMenu-Entry for "Lock mouse in this window"
There is already a hotkey to lock the mouse in the focused window ("Lock mouse"). But i think a window menu entry and/or TitleButton for this function would be more convenient.

5) WindowMenu-Entry for "Ignore deactivation in this window"
There is already a hotkey to do it, but i would really love a WindowMenu-Entry for it, so i can check if the hotkey worked and this mode is activated!

Features that would be nice:
6) Move maximized windows per drag and drop to another monitor
Yes, i know i can do this with a Title-Button, but i think especially with more than 2 monitors this is just a more convenient way.

7) AltMin
I don't understand why there is a AltMin-Button, but not two independent Buttons: "Minimize to Tray" and "Minimize to Screen".
I mean at the moment i have to exactly specifiy what function "AltMin" does: Tray or Screen. So this is nothing else than saying: I want a "Minimize to Tray"-Button or I want a "Minimize to Screen"-Button.
If we had actually two buttons, we also could add BOTH functions to a window (would love this!).

You don't need to replace the "AltMin"-Button, but maybe you could add the option to add a "Minimize to Tray" and Minimize to Screen" Title-Button independent from the "AltMin"-Button (So in theory one could have 3 Buttons: "AltMin", "Tray", "Screen").
The same should be possible for the Window Menu.

8 ) Window Snapping
I use the "Classic window snapping", but not all the time. So instead of the possibiliy to "Suspend snapping on" certain modifier keys i would like to have an option to snap "Only while the following keys are being pressed".

9) MDI-Snapping
It would be great if i could snap child-windows to the edges of the parent window in MDI-Applications (like Excel 2003).

10) Allow/Disallow Snapping
With enabled "Classic Window Snapping" i can allow/disallow snapping for a certain window via the WindowMenu ("Snap"). I have an application i want to NEVER snap, so everytime i start this application i have to manually disallow it via the WindowMenu.
Could you add an option under "Window Settings" -> "Specific Settings" -> "Positions": "Allow/Enable Snapping for this Application"?

11) Minimze All Hotkey
Could you add a Hotkey to "Minimize All Windows on the active Monitor only"?

Thanks for this great program, hope i could help and keep up the good work  :)

Bertram Vogel
Advanced user

Posted: 01/18/2012 15:53:16

I use a lot title Buttons, but i do not need them in dialog windows. For example if i change something in the AWM configuration, but do not save and try to close the window i am prompted with a dialog window "Do you want to save the changes?". In this dialog window i cannot read the window caption because it is filled with buttons (that i also just not need in a dialog window).

I found out a way to do that by myself:
I just set an Exclusion for the Window class "#32770". Until now this seems to work fine :).

3) Startup-Setting for taskbar entries
Under "Window Settings" -> "Startup" it would be great to have the following two options:
"Always show taskbar entry on ALL taskbars": The window-button is always shown on all taskbars no matter on which monitor the window is.
"Always show taskbar entry on the primary taskbar": The window-button is shown on the taskbar on which the window is AND additional always also on the primary taskbar.
I just want to specify this request a little bit:
These two settings would allow to emulate all 3 different behaviors of the windows 8 native taskbar, but with the advantage to change this behavior for single applications!

"Always show taskbar entry on ALL taskbars": This is like the windows 8 "Mirror mode - windows appear duplicated on all taskbars".
"Always show taskbar entry on the primary taskbar": This is like the windows 8 "Individual Secondary mode - windows appear unique to each taskbar and on main taskbar as well".
And no setting, that means the AWM default is like the windows 8 "Individual mode - windows appear unique on each taskbar".

I know that for the "Mirror Mode" there is a global option in AWM ("Mirror the primary Taskbar"). But i like the option to change this behavior for only some applications and not all (This would also be another cool feature that makes AWM better than the native Windows 8 taskbars!).

However, if this is not possible, it would be great if you could implement the missing "Individual Secondary mode" (as a global option like "Mirror the primary Taskbar").

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 01/18/2012 23:51:20

Hello Bertram,

Thanks for the post.

6) Move maximized windows per drag and drop to another monitor
Yes, i know i can do this with a Title-Button, but i think especially with more than 2 monitors this is just a more convenient way.
- This feature works with Aero Snap feature enabled (Actual Window Manager -> Actions -> Options -> Window Snapping).

We'll consider all your other requests.

Best regards.

Bertram Vogel
Advanced user

Posted: 01/19/2012 07:44:53

This feature works with Aero Snap feature enabled (Actual Window Manager -> Actions -> Options -> Window Snapping).
I tried it and it works. But it would be nice, if this was a standalone-option, like "Enable Dragging of Maximized Windows": Restores a Maximized Window to its original size by dragging it. I don't think this should be coupled with (de-)activating AeroSnap.

Best Regards

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 01/19/2012 12:42:42

I found out a way to do that by myself:
I just set an Exclusion for the Window class "#32770". Until now this seems to work fine
For me it would not work as I have a couple of specific settings for #32770 class items and also because I want to be able to move some of these windows to the other monitor quickly by clicking a title button. Some months ago, I proposed a different approach. Personally, I think that would be a better suggestion.

Bertram Vogel
Advanced user

Posted: 01/19/2012 14:17:55

For me it would not work as I have a couple of specific settings for #32770 class items and also because I want to be able to move some of these windows to the other monitor quickly by clicking a title button. Some months ago, I proposed a different approach. Personally, I think that would be a better suggestion.

Your approach led me to the following: Instead of an Exclusion for the window class #32770 I made a new specific setting for the window class #32770 (with only "Window class" selected so it works on dialog windows fr om all applications). I then removed almost all Title Buttons but "Move to Monitor". This results in dialog windows with only one additional Title Button ("Move to Monitor"), but all the other functions (like the extended window menu) from AWM work. This is exactly what i wanted!

From your text above I guess you have done the same, so I'm not sure for what you need the "extra buttons on small windows"-setting as described in your link?

EDIT: After using this new Setting a little bit, I have to admit it has a big disadvantage: there are just sooo many different dialog windows (window class #32770). I thought dialog windows are only these small windows wh ere you confirm something etc. But also file-properties, printer dialogs and setting windows in general are of the dialog window class. So your approach would be really a good idea!

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 01/20/2012 10:32:23

EDIT: After using this new Setting a little bit, I have to admit it has a big disadvantage: there are just sooo many different dialog windows (window class #32770). I thought dialog windows are only these small windows wh ere you confirm something etc. But also file-properties, printer dialogs and setting windows in general are of the dialog window class. So your approach would be really a good idea!
I was just about to reply with a similar answer. I hope Actual Tools picks up this idea. Maybe it would help if you also reply to my suggestion in the Feature Requests forum? I don't know, but maybe it helps.
BTW: I got this idea when reading a review on AWM, where the buttons in small windows was mentioned as a con for AWM, next to many pros. So other people also think this is a drawback of AWM!

David P
Advanced user

Posted: 06/21/2012 09:05:38

9) MDI-Snapping
It would be great if i could snap child-windows to the edges of the parent window in MDI-Applications (like Excel 2003).

+1 for MDI-Snapping (in my case, especially needed for Adobe Acrobat v7)

Regards David.P

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/21/2012 21:02:48

Hello David.

We'll take it into account.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list