Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Reserve desktop space , Reserve desktop space to simulate "docked" window. » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 2190

David Fields

Posted: 05/15/2015 23:14:01

Our company recently upgraded fr om Microsoft Office Communicator to Microsoft Lync as the corporate messaging solution.  When we were using OCS I was able to use a different client, Pidgin, with a plugin to connect to the OCS server.  One of the many reasons I used Pidgin over the native client was it's ability to "dock" the contact list to the side of a monitor/desktop, and it would than reserve the space it used so that if you try to maximize any other windows, they wouldn't overlap the contact list.  Unfortunately, I can't get Pidgin and the plugin to work with Lync, so I have to start using native client, which doesn't have the ability to "dock" it's contact list or reserve desktop space.  

I've tried to simulate a reserved desktop space with Desktop Dividers, but that doesn't really do what I want either.  When you use the Windows 7 AeroSnap feature to maximize a window by dragging it to the top of the screen, it ignores the divider and still maximizes across the entire monitor.  I've also tried to simulate this by setting a default "maximum size" for a window, but those settings aren't aware of dividers either (ie, you can't say "maximize to 100% of DividerX").  I also work from  home and the office, and I have monitors with different resolutions, so I can't use pixels or percentages to lim it the maximum size of windows.  

So, I would like to suggest a few feature requests options that might allow me to reserve desktop space:

1.  For a specific target window, allow it to be moved into  a specific location, and then "reserve" that space for just that application.  There is another application called desktop corral that can kind of do this, but I don't want to have to run another program.
2.  For desktop dividers, allow a specific region to reserve it's space from the rest of the desktop.  This would probably only work for dividers that are at the edges of the monitors though.
3.  For maximum size settings, either in default settings or for target windows, make them aware of dividers so that you can use a percentages of a specific divider.

Option would would be the preferable solution for me since I would prefer to not have to use dividers.

Thanks,

David

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 05/19/2015 11:29:04

Hello David,

Thanks for the post.

Please try the following steps and inform us if they suit your needs or not:
1. Add Specific Settings for the Lync window with its size and position adjusted on the Startup tab;
2. Adjust the "Restrict placement" option for other windows: Actual Window Manager -> Window Settings -> Default Settings -> Position tab -> Restrict placement (it cant be adjusted in pixels, % of current monitor and % of desktop).

Best regards.

David Fields

Posted: 05/21/2015 03:11:02

Vasiliy,

Thanks, this seems to be working, although for some reason the first time I turned it on it behaved differently.  

I had to disable the placement settings for the Lync contacts window, otherwise it was also offset from based on the placement restriction.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register