Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Uninstalling AWM 8.2.2 doesn't work 100% » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 2883

Roar Kristensen

Posted: 11/18/2014 21:20:46

Uninstalling AWM 8.2.2 from Win 8.1 do not delete everything.

Folder ACTUAL TOOLS and register data is still on PC after uninstall from Win8.1/Program and Features

rgs
roarkr

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 11/19/2014 14:04:21

Thank you for your message, Roar.

Is there anything in this folder? Some files get deleted from this folder only after you restart your PC.

Actually, this is a common practice to keep some data on the PC after uninstall.

And why would you like to delete your registration data?

Best regards!

support@actualtools.com

aph
Advanced user

Posted: 11/20/2014 01:44:19

I've uninstalled my fair share of programs. These days I use Revo Uninstaller to make sure this common practice you mention about doesn't occur.

In fact, most commonly files are cleared completely from the installation folder. Sometimes a registry entry or two is left behind for DRM reasons as you allude to.

The only time I have seen files more often than not get left behind is for hardware drivers that have placed their files in the System32 folder.

Far less common in my experience is to have actual files left behind in the installation folder. Even when that occurs, most of the time there is a confirmation checkbox during the uninstall to "Remove user preferences and data".

For stand-alone software, it's quite uncommon to leave files behind in the installation folder without user consent. Generally it's frowned upon as a poor design choice since it passively usurps control from the user over what it stored on their computer.

Zardoz2293
Advanced user

Posted: 11/20/2014 07:27:22

@aph

For stand-alone software, it's quite uncommon to leave files behind in the installation folder without user consent. Generally it's frowned upon as a poor design choice since it passively usurps control from the user over what it stored on their computer.
I've never had a commercial product I've been managing ever leave any residue behind; that includes, files, folders, registry settings, etc. My experience is over 99.99 percent of the development community have absolutely no idea what their own programs do, how and what is modified in the registry, content modification of the System32 folder, consistency in their methodology, and more.

Sincerely,
Lars

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 11/20/2014 13:52:45

Thank you for posting, Gents!

Actual Window Manager may leave some files in its installation folder if a user marked the Additional items in the Desktop context menu while installing it. These files get deleted during the next system reboot. If any "third-party" files were copied into the installation folder, they will of course remain there after uninstalling.

Best regards!

support@actualtools.com

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register