Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «[FIXED] AWM and PuTTYSessionManager , Incompatibility with automatically closing window » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 4763

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 01/07/2014 17:15:53

I've been using PuTTY for some time, but have just started using PuTTYSessionManager (PSM) alongside. It provides a small toolbox-style window with a list of available PuTTY session which can be launched. I find the menu for PSM quite cumbersome so prefer to see the expanded tree list in the window, but I want it to close once I've launched a session.

I configured AWM to close the PSM window on deactivation (with a 0.3s delay - I use XMouse and this accommodates me straying outside the window momentarily :). But PSM is a system tray app, and I suspect it has intercepted or otherwise customised the regular red cross close button, because when using AWM to close the window, it invariably crashes with a windows 'XXX has encountered a problem and needs to close'. Closing the PSM window with the red cross never produces this behaviour.

On further investigation, it seems the situation is more complicated (surprise surprise!). I've found that if I follow this process, the app crashes:

• 1. Launch PSM
  • 2. Launch a session or focus another window to deactivate PSM window
  • 3. PSM crashes when its window is closed by AWM

but if I do this, PSM works OK:

• 1. Launch PSM
  • 2. Close the PSM window using the red cross button
  • 3. Reopen the PSM window by double-clicking its system tray icon
  • 4. Launch a session or focus another window to deactivate PSM window
  • 5. PSM window now closes (by AWM) without crashing

I've looked at the logging in AWM, and the trace is identical whether I follow the first or second process - so I suspect PSM isn't actually closing its window on clicking the red cross. But cycling round that loop once prevents whatever causes the crash using the first process.

Is there anything else I can try to fix this?

Links:

PuTTY
PuTTY Session Manager

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 01/31/2014 18:17:57

Hello David,

Thanks for the post.

The problem has been confirmed.
Unfortunately, I don't able to invent a workaround.
We'll try to fix it.

Best regards.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 01/31/2014 21:14:25

Thanks - I'll attempt to contact the owner of PSM and see if they're still developing it. I suspect they're doing something on the close button click event which doesn't get done if they just receive a message to close the window (e.g. via AWM). I'll update here if I hear back.

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 02/04/2014 23:38:28

David, we have fixed the issue with PSM. The fix will be available in the nearest update.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 02/05/2014 00:32:04

Fab news - I've no response from the PSM folks, so really glad to hear we're not relying on them!

Regards,

David.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register