Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Outlook/Lync 2013 running into GUI Issues/Crashes » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 6642

Steve Liu

Posted: 12/10/2013 00:09:00

Hi,

I am using Actual Multiple Monitors v 8.0.3 and have been noticing that Outlook 2013/Lync 2013 will either crash or the GUI will basically be "frozen", as in I can move the actual Window and click on the the functioning buttons, but everything in the GUI is frozen from the last shown picture. In addition, sometimes the program will also crash. The only resolution is to restart the program - Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 12/11/2013 17:22:34

Hello Steve,

Thanks for the post.

Could you specify your OS (version, 32 or 64-bit)?
Could you also provide me a step by step description of how to reproduce the problem with some screenshots illustrated the problem?

Best regards.

David Sax

Posted: 06/07/2016 03:32:02

I've Recently encountered the same/similar issue in Outlook 2016. Currently running Office 2016 Pro Plus 64-bit but I've tried running in outlook 32-Bit as well with the same experience. When leaving outlook open for a period of 1 hour or so unused (connecting to a local exchange (cached mode), outlook will freeze on the current screen. When I navigate to any other section of the application, contacts, mail, calendar etc., outlook will make the change, and if i randomly click i can open an item of appropriate type relative to the section, but the GIU of what i see is mostly blank. Closing AMM version 8.8.3 will allow outlook to respond normally after 4-5 seconds (while clicking through sections, to force a refresh). Platform is Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. I've also tried disabling unnecessary animations in windows and disabling hardware acceleration in outlook.

thanks

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/07/2016 21:11:37

Hello, David

but the GIU of what i see is mostly blank
Could you provide a screenshot depicting this?

Could you send us your configuration files using the Send to Tech Support tool (Configuration module > Tools > Configuration > Send to Tech Support). Add a link to this topic to the email.

Corneliu GIURGIU
Advanced user

Posted: 07/29/2016 15:58:19

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that this sounds similar to http://www.actualtools.com/forum/read.php?FID=10&TID=3970. Pasting below my quote from the linked post:

I can also confirm this behaviour after waking the PC from sleep or unlocking it. Also, once in a while after a night when I left the PC sleeping, AWM seems to stop working and the apps behave weird: explorer does not open, windows enhanced by AWM (not excluded) have flickering buttons in the title-bar, etc.

Once AWM is forcefully killed, everything begins to behave normally. Btw, I'm on windows 10 with AWM 8.8.3

Kind regards

Robert Fedorowicz

Posted: 08/03/2016 14:47:17

I have a similar issue. When I recover from a locked screen my Outlook (Outlook 2013) freezes for 30 seconds and so does my Lync/Skype (Skype for Business 2015). I'm currently using a Windows Surface Pro 2 256GB running Windows 8.1 64-bit Operating System with 8GB RAM.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jonathan Z

Posted: 08/12/2016 03:02:37

Unfortunately I am having this exact issue and was hoping there might be a fix for it in the time since this was posted.

I'm currently running Windows 10 and Office 2013 (x64). I notice it with Excel/Word/Outlook, just as Steve described above. My version of AMM is 8.9

Any help out there for this? I'd hate to stop using AMM, but it's really disruptive to work :(

Mark

Posted: 08/12/2016 03:20:36

Just my two bits:  I have had this problem as well, but having worked with Bogdan in some detail earlier this year, I'm not sure AWM is the culprit -- Outlook 2013 or 2016 (or any Office app, including Skype) will routinely do this to me even on a fresh Windows 10 installation without AWM installed.  Force-closing DWM.exe (Windows' desktop window manager) will correct the issue faster, as the shell requires DWM and so will immediately restart it, refreshing your desktop layout.  AWM (and DisplayFusion, for that matter) do seem to make it worse, but the problem exists for me whether or not I have an alternative window manager installed.

Office, et al are drawing their windows on the display in some really squirrely way in what appears to be defiance of how everyone who isn't Microsoft is using the Windows API.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/16/2017 14:56:02

Hello, gentlemen

Sorry for the delay in replying, we're investigating this issue now.

Mark
, thank you for the information, i hope it will help us to figure out what causes the issue.

Gentlemen,

Could you check whether the issue depends on the time the system works without restart: reset the computer, launch AWM and the application you have the problem with (Otlook, Lync or other) and right after that try to reproduce the issue and see whether it appears this time.

If it's possible to reproduce the problem right after the system restart, then try to reproduce it several times and check whether it happens every time.

If the problem doesn't appear the first time you try to reproduce it, then see after what time of the system work without restarts the problem appears.

Could you also pay attention whether the problem depend on the time the computer stays in the Locked/Sleep mode if the problem appears on going back from these modes in your case?

Does the issue start to appear every time after it appears once?

Could you also when the issue appears go to the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) > Processes tab (or Details tab in Windows 8 and 10) and end the dwm.exe process and see whether the issue stops immediately.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register