Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Stacking/Cascading windows doesn't bring all of them to the top » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 2766

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 10/20/2013 00:59:16

When right-clicking a group of windows and selecting "Show windows stacked", sometimes it doesn't properly bring all of the windows to the top, for some reason.

It does seem to still properly stack the windows, even if most aren't on top, which I can see after I push other miscellaneous windows downward with the "send-to-bottom" keyboard shortcut.

This was happening in 8.0 and continues to happen in 8.1b, for reference. Testing shows that it happens with the other functions, as well -- "Cascade" and "Show windows side by side".

In my testing just now, I can't seem to find any pattern as to why AWM picks which windows to put on top. I manually pulled 11 Notepad's to the top, and then clicked my browser window so it was at the very top. I then right-clicked the Notepad icon on the taskbar to stack the Notepads. It stacks them properly, but only one of the Notepads is put on top of the browser window; the rest of them remain behind it. (And the browser is not forced to stay on top of all other windows). This happens with stacking, side-by-side'ing, and cascading.

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 10/21/2013 15:44:30

Hello Steve

We can confirm this behavior of the AWM taskbars. But aren't these commands of the native Windows taskbar work the similar way? As i can see cascade and stacked work the similar way, i.e. don't bring all the windows of the group to the top.

Best regards.

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 10/21/2013 16:25:29

Oh, I wasn't aware Windows could/would do it, as well. The current behavior seems "finicky" -- even after bringing a set of windows to the top, if I just put some other random window at top and try to stack/cascade the underlying set, it randomly puts a couple of them at the very top while the others are stacked behind others.

Is it possible to change? It seems like it'd be more useful to have the entire set brought to the top, in one grouped bunch, rather than having them stacked randomly in-between other windows, and some of them even left invisible with other windows in front. I would think that if someone wants to stack or cascade a set of windows, that they'd like to see or look through them at that point, and thus, have them all brought to the top.

At least, that's what I use the commands for. Perhaps others use them for a different purpose...?

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 10/23/2013 10:47:18

We'll consider this as a feature request.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register