Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Three Monitor Setup , How is it possible to achieve a particular setup with three monitors » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 2828

Miltiadis Karamanlis

Posted: 01/08/2013 05:59:41

Hi there.
I am interested in buying one of Actual Tools products but I am not sure how I can achieve a particular setting which I will describe bellow and which of the products will do the job.

The setup will have three monitors M1, M2 and M3 and the main focus is on three apps Ap1 Ap2 and Ap3. I wish to be able to have M1 as the main monitor in which all the apps will be visible and not maximized. I need M2 to show AP1 or Ap2 ( not both at the same time ) at full screen mode and M3 to show AP2 or Ap3 again in full screen mode.

My questions are these:

• Can I achieve this setting?
  • How?
  • The switch between the different modes (for example Ap1 in M2 and Ap 2 in M3 --> Ap2 in M2 and Ap2 in M3) will be complicated or is there a quick way for example by assigning profiles?
  • From the graphics card point of view will every graphic card which supports three or more monitors do the job and if so is there any special setting I must do? For example the monitor will have to be in extended mode or something else?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post these questions.

Rob Steward

Posted: 01/08/2013 10:17:27

Just an idea but you could use the "MIRROR" function to replicate Ap2 and Ap3 onto the desired monitors. You would then just setup rules to move those windows to the appropriate Monitors.  If you'd like a little more help on the specifics let me know.

I run 3 monitors at work with much success.  Monitor1 is my laptop screen.  Mon2 is a monitor connected through VGA and Mon3 is connected through USB2DVI/VGA.  On PCs you can add addition video cards for the additional monitors.  There are some video cards that have multiple vga/dvi connections and can support more than one monitor.

Miltiadis Karamanlis

Posted: 01/10/2013 08:29:06

Thank you for your quick reply! I still haven't got neither the hardware neither the software but this idea about rules to move the windows seems promising. I will post here again if I need some help.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 01/15/2013 02:09:12

Hello gentlemen.

Rob, thank you for your response.

Miltiadis, for now the idea with mirrors seems to be the most reasonable. Have you succeed in setting the wanted behavior?

Best regards.

Miltiadis Karamanlis

Posted: 01/15/2013 03:28:42

Hello,

No but I still haven't got neither the hardware nor Actual Manager. I am planning to setup multiple monitors in a bridge club and I am waiting the "ok" to buy the required materials. As I see it mirrors must do the job, the only thing I am worrying about (and that's probably because I am not familiar with actual tools yet) is the degree of automatization I could achieve to make things as simple as possible for the user.  

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 01/15/2013 05:10:39

You can manage the mirrors with the hotkeys for each of them. Good luck with this!

Jim McClintock

Posted: 01/16/2013 16:18:46

Use Multiplicity (from Stardock) in combination with AWM.

I use AWM for my primary desktop PC, which has two monitors attached to it. I have two other PC's connected to a single monitor with via an HDMI switch arrangement, as well as another laptop. With Multiplicity installed on all those machines, using a single mouse I can easily move from one PC to another, can copy/paste from any one to any other, can drag/drop and transfer files between any two, etc. This arrangement is the BOMB for managing/interfacing to multiple monitors and machines with a single mouse/keyboard. Note: Multiplicity does not compete with AWM, as it is a tool for managing screens/machines with single mouse/keyboard. It does not enable/facilitate managing multiple monitors on a single machine, which is AWM's forte.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register