Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «AMM 4.1 and Desktop Divider (taskbar and general behavior) » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 3553

kvitso

Posted: 07/19/2012 05:17:37

I have just upgraded my AMM fr om 3.x to 4.x, ebcause there was one feature that particulary interested me. I often connect to my work computer via terminal server (being Windows, i am using mstsc). I have a dual screen setup (or even tripple somewhere) on all computers, but with mstsc I need to use span mode in order to utilise all screens. That means that my local computer serves as having one big screen that covers both my remote screens.

AMM now has the feature Desktop Divider, which in theory seems perfect for this. I can divide my local screen so it fits my remote screen layout. However, I was slightly disappointed about this feature (I have been using SplitView for this purpose up until now). It seems like the Desktop Divider settings are ignored when maximizing a window  (it still expands to the entire screen surface intead of the sub-area that it currently sits in). I was expecting AMM to handle window maximization as if there was actual multiple monitors. The only feature I have been able to see from activating Desktop Divider is that when I drag a window to the edge of either of my 2 surfaces, it will resize to that exact area. That is of course not totally useless - but with only 2 screens you get exactly the same feature by using the win-button and your left and right arrows.

Also, I was expecting the screen division to apply to the taskbar as well. THe main reason I started using AMM in first place, was that it is the best option (fits my requirements best) for taskbar management; it gives me a Start-button on each screen, and the labels get moved to the correct taskbar (depending on which screen the windows are put in). With other products, I usually get either taskbar only on primary screen or a stretched taskbar that spans over all my screens (which always feels weired, especially in the border between screens). By using Desktop Divider, I am stuck with that spanning taskbar unfortunately.

Is there anything here that I am missing regarding the setup, or is the feature of Desktop Divider currently a bit lim ited?

*Regarding local and remote computers: I refer to my work computer with AMM installed as "local", while the computers using mstsc to connect to my work computer as "remote"

Relevant specs:
Windows 7 Professional SP1 on all computers
Actual Multiple Monitor 4.1 on local computer

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/23/2012 04:08:03

Hello kvitso

First of all, Desktop Divider isn't limited, it rather answers it's purpose.

Furthermore, you can enable the option of maximizing to Desktop Divider's tile (Mouse > Actions > Maximize to Desktop Divider's tile).

BTW, what version of mstsc are you running? Windows 7 provides version 7.0 which let you use true multimonitor support and you don't have to use span mode.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register