Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Troublesome Window Placement for an App , One app won't seem to open in the right place. » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 6496

cliff neville
Advanced user

Posted: 07/04/2012 12:40:21

I have 4 monitors.  3 x 24-inch and 1 x 20-inch

- 20 ------- 24 ------- 24 ------- 24 ---
Portrait - Portrait - Portrait - Landscape
--#4 ------- #3 ------- #2 ----- #1 Primary

Win7 x64, fully updated, running AWM.

I had to make #1 the primary.  Otherwise about half the flash videos would not open up full screen.  (it took many days to figure that out.)

I've got most everything working in AWM as I want, except one app, Syncback Pro (SBP).  

I want SBP to open up across monitors #3 and #2 (not full screen).  If I close SBP, and re-open it, it comes up like I want it to, but when I reboot the computer, SBP always opens up in monitor #1.  I've tried all the se ttings I can think of in AWM and rebooted like 20 times now.  I can't get it to work right.  

SBP needs the Windows approval box to open:
("Do you want to allow the following application to make changes to this computer".)  
Is that why it's giving me trouble?  ...

or isn't it possible to se t an app to span multiple monitors after a reboot?  (SBP always comes up like I want it to in Vista, no AWM.)

or does it matter from where I launch the app?  (icon /start menu, primary / AWM, ...?)

or does it matter how I close the app?

or do some apps only open in the primary monitor?

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/05/2012 01:18:07

Hello Cliff.

The listed conditions don't matter, the window should be processed according to the rule.

The issue seems to be associated with some specificity of Syncback.

What exactly options do you use to place the window as you want? Have you tried to use the "restrict placement" option?

Could you send us the configuration files containing the rule for Syncback using the "Send to tech support" tool?

Best regards.

cliff neville
Advanced user

Posted: 07/07/2012 20:40:42

DisplayFusion (DF) ignores the window placement for SyncbackPro too. There must be something strange about this app.  It doesn't show the titlebar buttons (other apps do), and I opened the AWM log and everything else registers a log entry when it opens, except Syncback.  

I then disabled both DF and AWM.  Even with no toolbar manager, SyncbackPro would suffer the same random reset back to monitor 1.  

I have changed the AWM settings for SyncbackPro, deleted, copied, restrict placement, align at startup to ..., nothing works.  It's like this app is invisible.  So there's really nothing to upload at this point.  

I even unchecked Window Class and Program and just left Caption (substring) of 'SyncbackPro' and still get nothing showing up in the log.  Just Program ... nothing.  I get nothing in the log.  

If I drag the bulls-eye over it comes up as:
    TfrmMain.UnicodeClass
    SyncBackPro V5.20.0.0
    \SyncBackPro.exe

no titlebar buttons show up on Syncback either
    no AWM log entries appear

Does that tell you anything?

Are some apps just unmanageable?  

I went to the app's forum and asked.  No response.
http://2brightsparks.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9374

You say it's *NOT* because of the UAC pop-up to run this app, right?

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/10/2012 01:29:01

Hello Cliff.

Actual Window Manager can't track SyncbackPro because Syncback is run under the Administrator user account (UAC pop-up is indication of it) and Actual Window Manager was installed without support of system utilities and administrative tools.

You need to re-install Actual Window Manager and enable the "Support system utilities..." option during installation.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register