Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Independent resolutions for extended desktop stopped working » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 4638

Lupin-III

Posted: 09/28/2011 06:33:56

Hello, this one has me frustrated...

I'm trying to use dual display extended mode, using a CRT monitor and a plasma tv.  I had struggled with this before AMM, and couldn't get it set independent resolutions, so I couldn't use extended display mode, and could only use either the tv or monitor separately, or cloned using one of the few resolutions that both displays share, which was 1280x1024.  Whenever I would activate the plasma tv in either the windows display or the nvidia control panel, I would lose access to almost all the resolutions that the monitor supports, and it would only let me change the monitor's resolution to ones that the tv supports (and of course there are very few of those, since the monitor is 4:3 and the tv is 16:9).  

So I struggled through that, never could get extended display working at all, and couldn't get cloned displays working with a decent resolution for either display.  So research led me to AMM, and as soon as I installed it, I was able to set the resolutions of the monitor and tv independently of each other, and turn on extended mode.  It worked beautifully.  I could switch it between all of the modes, extended, cloned, tv or monitor only, and everything was working perfectly.  Had my monitor at 1920x1440 and the tv at 1920x1080.

BUT...
A few days later I had to reboot...

Now if I try turning on extended mode, through windows, through the nvidia control panel, or through AMM, I'm getting the original results... maybe even a bit worse results.  At this point, if I set it to extended mode, the tv display turns on, but the monitor turns off, and gets set to inactive (unchecked in the nvidia control panel, greyed out in windows display and in AMM).  Once that happens, I'm right back to only having the resolutions for the tv available to the monitor.  Even if I try to set it to use extended mode, it just deactivates the monitor and switches solely to the tv.

I'm using a nvidia gtx 470, samsung syncmaster 997df, and panasonic 42" plasma, windows 7 pro x64.  Nvidia driver version 280.26.

Any clues?

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 09/28/2011 22:07:59

Hello Lupin,

Thansk for the post.

Have you updated your video card drivers or Actual Multiple Monitors recently?

Could you send me your configuration files (Actual Multiple Monitors -> Send your configuration files to the Actual Tools technical support)?

Best regards.

Lupin-III

Posted: 09/28/2011 23:38:39

Hi Vasiliy,

I haven't updated either.  I've only had AMM installed since the 24th, still in the trial period for the pro version, and the only things that have been installed since then are a couple of windows updates... a definition upd ate for windows defender (1.113.359.0) and an update for the windows malicious software removal tool x64.  Neither of those things should affect AMM though.

I'm really not even sure what's causing the problem, it could very well be the nvidia control panel or the windows display se ttings that are overriding things.

Configuration files have been sent.

Thanks

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 09/29/2011 23:59:40

Hello Lupin,

Thanks for the response.

What version of Actual Multiple Monitors do you use?

Could you try to install a previous version of Actual Multiple Monitors ( http://actualtools.com/multiplemonitors/download/#archive ) and check whether the problem still persists or not?

Best regards.

Lupin-III

Posted: 09/30/2011 05:19:37

I was using 3.3, then I tried all of the 3.x versions, they all do the same thing.  Then I tried the last of the 2.x versions and it wont detect the tv at all, so I stopped with that one.

At this point, I really don't think this is a problem with AMM.  Since I was getting the exact same behavior before installing AMM, I'm pretty sure that it's either windows 7's display controls or nvidia's that causes the problem.  It was probably a fluke that I had it working that first time after installing AMM.

I'll uninstall nvidia's drivers and use the native windows driver for my video card and see what happens then.  If that works, it won't be a viable solution since it would cripple my video card, but at least it will narrow down the problem.

Lupin-III

Posted: 09/30/2011 09:04:30

Without the nvidia drivers installed, windows couldn't detect the tv at all, so I couldn't even try setting them up as dual monitors.

Oh well, I give up.  I think it will depend on a windows or nvidia driver update for me to get this working again.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register