New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 13
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Monitor (or any, really) sound settings simply do nothing. » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 19488

Extremity

Posted: 07/02/2020 13:13:05

I'm currently using the software's trial to determine if I'm interested in purchasing it. It has a lot of cool features, but I want it mainly for two things - I have four monitors hooked up, one of which is across the room over my work bench (and the others are at my main desk) and I'd like the sound to swap over manually when a window is there. The task bar on all monitors is nice, too, but the sound device swap is the main feature I'm interested in with the task bar being a nice, coincidental second.

I have everything set up properly, I've done tons of googling and have read any other related issues I could find on this forum are elsewhere. The monitors are set up to the proper audio devices, and when I open the Application Audio Manager mini window it does show the "Selected Device" changing when I move the window in question (a chrome window, but I've tested many others) to the other monitor. When I move it back, it changes back. It seems that on the application's end it's doing what it's supposed to do but that change is simply not actually happening. Sound continues to come out of my primary speakers. I can manually change to the second set in the task bar and it works fine, but even a manual change in the app, in the small sound icon placed in the window's title bar by the app, or anything else related to the app does nothing. It's as if everything in the app works but it just can't force Windows to actually comply.

If anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated. I assure you that it's not a simple configuration issue (in the app, I mean) and must be some other conflict or something. If you need screenshots I can provide them, but beforehand - I have the proper audio device selected under each monitor in the app under where you can do so, and as I said the Application Audio Manager window DOES show the output device changing as it properly should - it just doesn't actually happen.

Thank you!

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 07/02/2020 16:05:03

Thank you for your request.

Have you found and read this forum topic? If not then it should solve the described issue.

Otherwise, specifying the title and version of the Actual Tools product you're evaluating, the exact version and build of your Windows, and the exact version of the Chrome browser would be great for further investigation.

Extremity

Posted: 07/03/2020 17:15:12

I didn't find that topic, maybe my search keywords weren't good enough. I downloaded and checked the registry file within the linked zip. There wasn't an existing key, or even enclosing folder, beforehand but I ran it to ins ert the null val ue and it's currently active. I made sure Chrome was completely closed beforehand. Still not working. The device still shows as switching within the app itself but isn't actually happening. Starting to feel like just manually switching my output isn't that big of a deal since this doesn't seem to want to work.

I'm using:
Windows 10 (10.0.19041 Build 19041)
Google Chrome (Version 83.0.4103.116 (Official Build) (64-bit))
Actual Multiple Monitors (Version 8.14.3)

AMM tells me it's the latest version, along with Chrome.

FYI, in AMM's "About" page you guys forgot to update the copyright date to 2020, it still shows as 2002-2019.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/07/2020 20:43:22

Hello, Extremity

There wasn't an existing key, or even enclosing folder, beforehand but I ran it to insert the null value and it's currently active.
I guess, the AudioSandboxEnabled registry parameter can absent in some cases. As the Chrome Enterprise page for the Audio​Sandbox​Enabled policy says: "If this policy is not set, the default configuration for the audio sandbox will be used, which may differ per platform", and this means the audio process still can be sandboxed.

But I was unable to reproduce the problem with the same version of Chrome that you've specified: As soon as I execute the .reg file and start Chrome, the Audio Switcher feature starts to work correctly.

Do you start Chrome under the same Windows user account that you're currently logged in to?

Could you also make sure the AudioSandboxEnabled registry parameter is in the registry, start Chrome and enter "chrome://policy/" without quotes in the address bar. See whether the AudioSandboxEnabled policy value is specified as false. Let us know the results.

Best regards.

Extremity

Posted: 07/14/2020 11:51:42

Polcies page shows AudioSandboxEnabled set to Policy value of "false".

Chrome should be under the same user account, yes. I haven't messed with anything nor do I run it with any flags so I don't see why it wouldn't be. I also only have one account, the one I'm using. This is a relatively fresh installation of Windows 10 on a hand-built desktop. Chrome was installed as anybody typically would, nothing messed with. I see no user conflicts.

I'm sorry you can't replicate, issues like this are the most frustrating especially when nobody else can get the same one and the assumption is that I just must be missing something stupid. I mean, hell, I hope it's that easy but I really have gone through everything I can think of and I'm certainly more tech-literate than the average bear.

So, to reiterate, the registry entry was set properly. Obviously I've reset since then. The app (AMM) seems to be running properly aside from this issue, although I don't really use it for much - just to have taskbar on all three screens with minor modifications to it.

Also, both audio devices are configured properly. Just in case maybe there's some conflict with what I've gotten set up, my main audio output is via "Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)". The second set of speakers go through "Realtek HD Audio 2nd output (Realtek High Definition Audio)". Both work totally fine and as of right now I'm just manually switching between the two via my taskbar sound icon. Everything's good. The main speakers are plugged in via the standard sound jack on the back of the computer, and the second set of speakers are connected to the headphone jack on the front panel, which has been reconfigured (via an option in Realtek HD Audio Manager, nothing crazy) to act as a standard audio output rather than a headphone jack. The only thing the setting changes is that I can configure the sound output/quality settings as I would for any other sound device rather than being restricted to the headphone settings.

AMM detects both sound devices, and as I've previously said is swapping between them within its own UI - it does so perfectly exactly when it should according to the display, it just never actually happens at the OS level.

Not sure what else to do. There's got to be some sort of logging in the application, right? Can I enable some sort of advanced/verbose logging that I can look at and/or provide here to you guys?

Thanks for the help so far. I'm really hoping to get this resolved before my trial expires because while I'm leaning towards purchasing I simply can't justify it while I don't know if it'll ever actually work for me or not, you know?

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/15/2020 02:16:00

Extremity,

Could you clarify, you have this problem with all applications that have audio or only with Chrome? Check for sure whether the problem persists for several other applications.

Extremity

Posted: 07/15/2020 12:35:31

Just tried with a video in VLC and it works fine. Looks like it's just Chrome.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/16/2020 11:00:29

Could you open the AMM application audio manager (AMM tray icon context menu > Show application audio manager) and see what mode and selected device are displayed for Chorme when you're trying to switch the device via the Chrome window? Does switching the device via the Chrome entry in the application audio manager also doesn't work?

Extremity

Posted: 07/20/2020 09:41:39

I had already done that in the very first post. As previously stated, the AMM shows the proper audio device and shows it switching as the window moves between monitors - it just doesn't actually happen. It's confusing. At this point all I can think to do is try to enable some form of advanced logging or something, I'm lost.

Extremity

Posted: 07/25/2020 23:14:05

Are we giving up on this, then?

Messages 1 - 10 of 13
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help