New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 15
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Bad icons position after switching default monitor and logoff » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 51681

Petr Vlacil
Advanced user

Posted: 12/04/2019 21:27:33

Hello,

After reinstalled AMM I maybe fixed issue witch missing folder and apps on taskbar after switching default monitor.

But now I have another issue. When I switch default monitor to secondary and then switch back. Then when I try restart system or logoff, I see that icons move on secondary monitor. After start or log in to the system icons still on secondary monitor and I must move them back manually.

This issue I didn't have before reinstall.

I have the latest version of AMM 8.14.2 on Windows 7 PRO x64bit .

Thank you in advance.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/04/2019 21:40:07

Hello, Petr

Could you see, whether the same happens if you're not running AMM, and use Windows Display Settings to switch main monitor?

Best regards.

Petr Vlacil
Advanced user

Posted: 12/04/2019 21:43:45

Without AMM, icons moving/stay correctly on default monitor.

To reproduce this issue:
1. Set secondary monitor as default
2. Set main monitor back as default
3. Then log off or restart system. You can see that desktop icons move back to secondary monitor for a 1 second before restart/log off (I have SSD, so it really short time when I see this) .

After log on or start system, icons still on the secondary monitor, not main.

I tried reinstall AMM again (totally clean profile without any changes) and I have still this issue.

Petr Vlacil
Advanced user

Posted: 12/06/2019 20:47:50

I don't know if this helps, but I know, that I reinstalled Intel video driver on version from my laptop website (Lenovo Y50-70) before reinstalled AMM. Could be this make this problem?
But as I said, without start AMM I don't have this problem with moving desktop icons to secondary monitor.

Petr Vlacil
Advanced user

Posted: 12/11/2019 13:06:13

I tried reinstalled Intel driver to previous version, but problem is still here :-/ . So, this issue is maybe in AMM.

But I know, that before reinstalling AMM this works (maybe some saved older settings/registry from previous version of AMM? ) .

Can anyone confirm this problem too?

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/13/2019 05:10:41

Petr,

As I can see, this happens because Windows itself saves the icons order in some complicated way based on what monitor is main and the size of the desktop area (it depends on the size of taskbar and may depend on other third-party toolbars). Our taskbars also change the desktop area which in combination with Windows saving the icons order leads to these weird effects. You can see that Windows can restore the icons order for some desktop configurations without AMM running. For example it can remember the icons order for combination of particular height of the taskbar + particular monitor set as main and restore it as you change both main monitor and the height of the taskbar. It seems that in your case it restores the order which you get when switch the main monitor for the first time. You can check it by arranging the icons before switching in some reconizeable way.

We haven't managed to completely figure out how exactly Windows manages the icons order, but we'll try to and see if it's possible to do anything about the problem you describe.

Also, as workaround, you can use the "Save desktop icons order" feature of AMM to save and restore the icons order. The feature is available via the desktop menu item or via the hotkey (you need to enable the hotkeys in the AMM configuration module > Hotkeys > Actions > Tools > Restore/Save desktop icons order).

Best regards.

Petr Vlacil
Advanced user

Posted: 12/13/2019 13:00:42

Yes, thank you :) ! I only unlock both taskbars and change their height, then change back to same height and now icons stay on right main monitor again after restart. I don't know what happend before.

Petr Vlacil
Advanced user

Posted: 12/13/2019 18:40:41

Hm, but on my PC now I tried connect secondary monitor and I have there same issue. Changing taskbar height did not help :-/ .

EDIT: Hm, on my laptop problem is back. I set secondary monitor as default, play some games, then switch back and after logoff or restart, icons still moving to external monitor.

I tried set different taskbar heights, set auto arrangement icons on desktop (this maybe works, but I cant moving icons when is auto arragmenet on) . Nothing helped yet.

Petr Vlacil
Advanced user

Posted: 12/20/2019 22:57:17

Yes, it doing AMM, if I try switch default monitor in AMM Control panel, icons moving on non-default monitor (even without logoff or restart) :-/ . I am using HDMI on external monitor if this helps.

Petr Vlacil
Advanced user

Posted: 01/24/2020 13:43:53

Any ideas what I can do? I tried my old laptop Lenovo G580 (with Core i5 3210M and Nvidia GT 635M 2GB, 8 GB RAM and 500GB WD Blue HDD - same Windows 7 PRO x64bit too) and there switching default monitor works perfectly (icons always are on default monitor) .

So there is maybe issue with compatibility Core i5 4210H on my Lenovo Y50-70 or laptop itself? And I very often have issue with disappearing open programs on taskbars again while switching default monitors https://www.actualtools.com/forum/read.php?FID=10&TID=5350&UID=8820 .

Messages 1 - 10 of 15
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register