New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 41 - 50 of 69
First | Prev. | 3 4 5 6 7 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Desktop divider questions , Using AWM 7.0 beta 1 » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 86279

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 03/29/2012 20:58:40

Hello gentlemen,

Sorry for the late response.

Pim, could you update a list of questions you would get answers for?

Bertram,

1. Window Size is not always calculated correctly:
Steps to reproduce:
a) Make and activate a 2x2 tile layout.
b) Open notepad.exe (or any other window)
c) Left-Click on the put-into-divider-tile button
-> the window is correctly put into this tile
d) Right-Click on the put-into-divider-tile button and select the tile the window is already in (!)
-> the window is resized a little bit (gets a little bit smaller, you can see this especially when looking at the screen edges)
- I was unable to reproduce this. Could you check whether the problem still persists in the 7.0 version of Actual Window Manager or not?

2. Problems with the new "stretch over adjacent tiles" feature with inaccurate layouts:
Steps to reproduce:
a) Make a 2x2 tile layout
b) make sure all the tiles have exactly the size 50% - 50%
c) now move the border separating tile 3 and 4 just a little bit to the left, so tile 3 is 49,9% wide and tile 4 is 50,1% wide.
d) Open notepad.exe (or any other window)
e) Right-Click on the put-into-divider-tile button
f) starting in tile 1 (!) try to drag to tile 4 -> it is not possible !?
g) starting in tile 2 (!) try to drag to tile 3 -> works fine !
This should be fixed. To avoid inaccurate layouts i think it would help if the tile-borders would snap to each other in the "edit tiles"-dialog like i desribed in my second post on January 25.

But here is a way to reproduce it. It also shows another problem:
1. Make sure you have no open notepad window (notepad.exe)
2. Open the "Desktop Divider Pane" in the AWM-Configuration
3. Set DD to be active "Always"
4. Delete all layouts you have
5. SAVE the configuration
6. Open a new notepad-window (i will call it window A in the following)
7. Add a new layout
8. Activate this layout
9. Open a second notepad-window (window B)
10. Move window A --> Desktop Divider is active (you can see this by the red area at the top of the monitor), but the taskbar area IS included!
11. Move window B --> Desktop Divider is NOT working
12. SAVE the configuration
13. Desktop Divider is working with BOTH window A and window B, and the taskbar area is not included!
14. Add another layout and activate it
15. Desktop Divider is working with BOTH windows, but again the taskbar area is included.

This problem with the included taskbar-area described in my first post on January 25 still exists and it is now much easier to reproduce it!
1. Just make sure you have at least two different tile-layouts in the desktop divider pane and DD is set to be active "always".
2. Activate the first layout.
3. Open a new window (no mather what)
4. Activate the second layout.
-> The taskbar-area is included! (also see the attached screenshot)
The problem does not occur if you change the layout via the desktop right-click menu.
- These problems have been confirmed. We'll try to fix them.

4. The ideas i mentioned in my second post on January 25 should still be considered.
To emphasize the problem with the hierarchy also look at the following example:
Make a 2x2 tile layout (so you have 4 tiles of equal size). Now you want to move only the border between the tiles 3 and 4 (leaving the border between tiles 1 and 2 unchanged). It depends on the order in which you clicked the buttons whether you can achieve this or not (!).
In my opinion this may be confusing for a "normal" user. The hierarchy should be "more visible".
- This behaviour cannot be changed.

5. Under "Options" -> "Window Snapping" -> "Classic Snapping" please add an entry "To the desktop divider tile borders" so you can switch on and off the snapping to the borders of the desktop divider tiles. This would be consistent, because you can switch on and off all the other snapping features here.
- We'll consider this request.

Best regards.

Bertram Vogel
Advanced user

Posted: 03/31/2012 11:31:58

Hello Vasiliy,

thanks for you response :)

1. Window Size is not always calculated correctly:
Steps to reproduce:
a) Make and activate a 2x2 tile layout.
b) Open notepad.exe (or any other window)
c) Left-Click on the put-into-divider-tile button
-> the window is correctly put into this tile
d) Right-Click on the put-into-divider-tile button and sel ect the tile the window is already in (!)
-> the window is resized a little bit (gets a little bit smaller, you can see this especially when looking at the screen edges)

- I was unable to reproduce this. Could you check whether the problem still persists in the 7.0 version of Actual Window Manager or not?
This seems to be fixed in AWM 7.0.

Have you thought about these ideas i posted earlier?

In the edit tiles dialog:
1. different colors for the borders so you can see the hirarchy of the tiles
2. snapping of lines in different columns/rows
3. Double Clicking on a line distributes all lines in the same column/row equally.
4. Copy a layout fr om one monitor to another(!)

In the configuration pane:
5. Copy a whole layout(!)

Best regards.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 04/02/2012 01:50:15

Hello Bertram,

Thanks for the response.

3. Double Clicking on a line distributes all lines in the same column/row equally.
- Could you clarify this? We'll consider your other ideas.

Best regards.

Bertram Vogel
Advanced user

Posted: 04/03/2012 10:52:13

- Could you clarify this? We'll consider your other ideas.
Consider an empty layout.
I now add 2 horizontal borders (rows).
If I now doubleclick on one of these two borders, they are moved so that i have 3 tiles using each 33,33% of the total height.

I now add 2 vertical borders (columns) in the upper tile.
If I now doubleclick on one of these borders, they are moved so that i have 3 tiles (in the upper tile) using each 33,33% of the total width.

I don't know how easy this is to implement because of the hierarchy, but it would be a nice tool to create symmetric and precise layouts (especially with a lot of small tiles).

Best regards.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 04/03/2012 23:46:03

Hello Bertram,

Thanks for the response.

We'll consider this request.

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 04/06/2012 13:32:14

Hello Vasiliy,

Pim, could you upd ate a list of questions you would get answers for?
Of course. Here we go.

The desktop divider buttons are a little bit different from what you wrote it would be. It seems like an omission in the latest beta. In the attached picture at the end of this post the left picture is what you proposed and the right picture is what it currently is in beta 2. Especially the I in the horizontal bar bugs me a bit, as the info is not consistent: a horizontal bar with a vertical line. Your original suggestion was better!

Another thing: AWM allows snapping windows to the desktop/monitor borders and to other windows also when RESIZING the window. So (optional) the desktop divider tile borders should also be shown when resizing a window (and not only when moving).

3. I also thought I had posted the next question somewhere, but I can't seem to find it anymore. Maybe I had it in my mind, but never wrote a post. Anyway, this is my request: to have a possibility to add in a specific setting to move the window to a specific desktop tile when opening the program associated with the specific setting. Currently, it is possible to move a program upon opening to a specific monitor. Because desktop tiles are supposed to be like virtual monitors, I think adding such an option would make sense.

Best regards.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 04/08/2012 21:51:28

Hello Pim,

The desktop divider buttons are a little bit different from what you wrote it would be. It seems like an omission in the latest beta. In the attached picture at the end of this post the left picture is what you proposed and the right picture is what it currently is in beta 2. Especially the I in the horizontal bar bugs me a bit, as the info is not consistent: a horizontal bar with a vertical line. Your original suggestion was better!
- The problem has been fixed. The fix will be available in the next update.

Another thing: AWM allows snapping windows to the desktop/monitor borders and to other windows also when RESIZING the window. So (optional) the desktop divider tile borders should also be shown when resizing a window (and not only when moving).

I also thought I had posted the next question somewhere, but I can't seem to find it anymore. Maybe I had it in my mind, but never wrote a post. Anyway, this is my request: to have a possibility to add in a specific setting to move the window to a specific desktop tile when opening the program associated with the specific setting. Currently, it is possible to move a program upon opening to a specific monitor. Because desktop tiles are supposed to be like virtual monitors, I think adding such an option would make sense.
- We'll cosider these requests.

Best regards.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 04/12/2012 03:41:13

Hello gentlemen,

We are conducting researches about the Desktop Divider feature.

Could you answer these questions:
1. What purposes are you using the Desktop Divider feature?
2. What use cases of the Desktop Divider could use suggest?

Best regards.

TabSel
Advanced user

Posted: 04/12/2012 04:16:14

Hello Vasiliy,

What purposes are you using the Desktop Divider feature?

I'm using a Laptop primary Display 1920x1200 plus a secondary Matrox Dualhead2Go which enables me to use TWO physical screens á 1600x1200, seen by the system as ONE screen á 3200x1200, in addition to the primary screen.

Maximizing a window on the secondary screen always streches the window across BOTH monitors, as it's ONE Monitor to the system, for example.

I divided the desktop space 5120x1200 into 6 tiles horizontally and two tiles vertically. This way, I basically use the desktop dividers to easily move/maximize a window to any of the 3 physical screens, even though there are only two screens visible to the system.

It became a quite common task for me to move overlapping windows to any desktop tile/monitor by right clicking the "put into..." title bar icon an drag the window size where I want it to be.

I'll still have to try 7.1ß1, had not found time yet, to have mutiple "put into..." title bar icons to move/maximize windows to any of the 3 phyiscal screens...

What use cases of the Desktop Divider could use suggest?

Instead of maximizing a window into a tile/multiple tiles by "put into...", I'd like to have a "move into..." option, to reposition the top left edge of a window into a desktop tile/mutiple tiles, relative to the current top-left position in the current tile, keeping the windows width and height.

This would allow me to not only maximize a window to any of my 3 physical screens, but to move a window to any of my 3 physical screens. (The "move to..."-function does only see 2 physical screens, so I can't use it...)

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 04/17/2012 01:34:18

TabSel, thanks for your response.

Best regards.

Messages 41 - 50 of 69
First | Prev. | 3 4 5 6 7 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics