Help
Login
Register

Messages 41 - 50 of 69
First | Prev. | 3 4 5 6 7 | Next | Last 

Topic: «License Expired? » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 45193

Casey Hayes

Posted: 09/30/2014 20:53:24

Using your instructions, @Alexander Mahalik, I was able to roll back to my previous version and use my original license (purchased September 2013). I wanted to test my suspicions and went to Upgrade. It presents me with this message
User added an image

I have confirmed that I'm using my original license. The URL to the page is
Code
http://www.actualtools.com/upgradecenter/?action2=submit&code=amm&version=8.1.4&reg_code22=AMM80[...]4014&s=m
I redacted part of my license key there, but you can see it's pulling the correct version and I've confirmed it's the correct license key.

This is yet another occurrence of me being told my license is good for one thing, but then I'm required to pay for another.

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 09/30/2014 22:08:12

Dear Casey,

thank you for your reply!

Please note that Upgrade Center is not a tool for validating registration codes. When you submit your code to the Upgrade Center, it is only used to identify you as a user.

You have purchased two "AMM8..." registration codes. One of them has expired by now, but it will always remain valid for Actual Multiple Monitors 8.1.4. The second one will be valid for each new version of Actual Multiple Monitors released until September 15, 2015.

After you submit any of your codes to the Upgrade Center, it tells you that the status of your Free Updates subscription is "active", because you do own the key that is currently valid for updates.

So, you can use your older registration code to register Actual Multiple Monitors 8.1.4 on one PC and at the same time use the newer one on the second PC to register Actual Multiple Monitors 8.2 and its updates.

Best regards!

support@actualtools.com

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 09/30/2014 22:41:30

Hello Alexander,

I would like to suggest that you make it a registration code test page (also or only), because, starting with version 8.0, there will be more and more situations like Casey's that people want to check a registration code. I do not think his situation is unique and you can see how easily it can lead to confusion. I would have interpreted the page the same as Casey did, thinking the registration code was validated, because I entered a registration code and not my license name. Of course, you will then need to consider that if one purchases an upgrade, that the original code becomes invalid, to avoid any confusion. Maybe you have already set up your systems to suit that purpose.

Best regards.

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 09/30/2014 22:44:12

Hello, Pim.

We will consider your suggestion, thank you!

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

Casey Hayes

Posted: 09/30/2014 23:38:56

Thank you, both Alexander and Pim, for your replies and input.

Zardoz2293
Advanced user

Posted: 09/30/2014 23:52:27

@Casey Hayes,

I'm not associated with Actual Tools whatsoever, just a customer/client like yourself.

I did you what did, using the Upgrade Center, many times prior to upgrading my license over the period from the release of version 8 and this method correctly reported the expiration date of the free update subscription period. Therefore, I know your original license was reporting the free update period correctly.

I'm confused as to why there is any confusion in the "free" updates as it was clearly posted when the version 8 product was released.

As a software developer myself I can say everyone's concerns regarding the policy change shouldn't be upset. Why? Actual Tools could have kept the free updates policy the same and just made major update releases every 12 months or less. At least this way you know you receive exactly one year for your purchase. Obviously, we all, as customers, prefer the original free update period as it tended to be considerably longer than one year. I believe this is why everyone is upset.

Most Sincerely,
Lars

Update:

If Actual Tools provides without change to the Upgrade Center the ability to validate specific license "keys" then you can expect to see lots of pirating of license keys as some wiseguy will create a bot to test the validity of keys until a current key is found. Easy to write this kind of bot. Food for thought.

Sincerely,
Lars

Casey Hayes

Posted: 10/01/2014 00:38:43

@Zardoz2293,

I'm confused as to why there is any confusion in the "free" updates as it was clearly posted when the version 8 product was released.
The confusion, as stated many times over, is the lack of communication that this license is annual. When I did my research on this product, I did not know to check in the update notes for the license stipulation. Instead, I find many occurrences of Actual Tools telling me that this license will be valid for all versions in the 8.x family. There's my information right there. I'm told one thing, so why would I think, "Hey, maybe they'll contradict these statements in the update notes and that will render my license invalid for new releases after a year."

I'm confused why you don't find that confusing. If you go to a restaurant, see a burger advertised on their menu for $15 and decide to order it, would you not be surprised when the waiter takes your burger away after 5 minutes? You're only half done, but he's requesting you give him another $15 for another 5 minutes. "But your menu didn't say anything about a time limit on enjoying my burger!" you cry.

"Oh yeah, sorry about that. A while ago, we changed our policy such that you only get to eat for 5 minute periods. After that, you have to purchase another 5 minute burger license before you can continue munching away."

You're in disbelief. This is false advertising, you think to yourself. How can they justify this? You saw your burger advertised one way and agreed to pay the amount, but now you're told the rules had changed, but they didn't bother changing the menu!

"Well, we released a newsletter letting everyone know about this change. The newsletter is posted behind the third stall in the men's restroom."

So, Lars, why didn't you think to look behind the third stall in the men's restroom for the newsletter, of which page 45 clearly indicates the change in the pricing plan before you agreed to purchase your 5-minute burger time?

Zardoz2293
Advanced user

Posted: 10/01/2014 00:56:14

@Casey Hayes,

You are being a bit heavy handed, play nice.

My point is I'm not in agreement with you whatsoever.

You come across to me as the type of person who spends a significant amount of time looking for the exception where in other places it is posted correctly. Then claim 'I had no idea', to later then say 'Well, I saw all the updated notices, but there was one which was original saying otherwise and of course there was no ambiguity.'

You are drifting from your argument stay in the lane.

Sincerely,
Lars

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 10/01/2014 01:18:55

[I was already planning on writing this response before Casey's and Lars's responses, I will not go into that discussion.]

The words in italics are important I think: when the version 8 was released. But if anybody buys after version 8 was released, he/she would probably not read the release notes. The question is then: could he/she have known up front? As stated earlier, normally if I do not find an upgrade policy I ask before buying.

If Actual Tools provides without change to the Upgrade Center the ability to validate specific license "keys" then you can expect to see lots of pirating of license keys as some wiseguy will create a bot to test the validity of keys until a current key is found. Easy to write this kind of bot. Food for thought.
This is a very good one. I had not thought of this when suggesting it. I think it might be better then to just clarify the text on the upgrade stating that the displayed validity is determined by the last license purchased.

Zardoz2293
Advanced user

Posted: 10/01/2014 01:30:55

The words in italics are important I think: when the version 8 was released. But if anybody buys after version 8 was released, he/she would probably not read the release notes. The question is then: could he/she have known up front? As stated earlier, normally if I do not find an upgrade policy I ask before buying.

I almost never read the release notes. I was notified of the upgrade/update policy changes via multiple locations posted on the Actual Tools web site (many months ago). I wasn't looking for it, just was it and thought "There goes their very liberal  (very long periods relative to other vendors) update policy." I agree, originally, there were some locations in documentation which conflicted with the new policy as those old notices were not updated all at the same time. I believe it took over a month to do so. However, was I aware of the policy change? Yes. Was the policy change implemented where it was overtly obvious? Only if you read everything and I don't and I'd expect other will not as well.

I'd like to suggest that when policy changes occur which effect customers/clients that the web site header is modified to show an obvious alert with a link to the new changes; AND/OR the software itself displays an alert to the end user which highlights critical changes in an executive summary format with a link to the full documentation/legalese and requires acknowledgement by the end-user. This might be perceived as a bit of a hassle by the end-user but it eliminates the "I didn't know" argument.

Sincerely,
Lars

Messages 41 - 50 of 69
First | Prev. | 3 4 5 6 7 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login