New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 31 - 40 of 69
First | Prev. | 2 3 4 5 6 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Desktop divider questions , Using AWM 7.0 beta 1 » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 86338

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 02/11/2012 13:12:29

Picking up where we left off. After the release of AWM 7.0 beta 2 a number of ideas & issues have been addressed. Here's my line up of the results, as well as some reminders.

The desktop divider buttons are a little bit different from what you wrote it would be. It seems like an omission in the latest beta. In the attached picture at the end of this post the left picture is what you proposed and the right picture is what it currently is in beta 2. Especially the I in the horizontal bar bugs me a bit, as the info is not consistent: a horizontal bar with a vertical line. Your original suggestion was better!

The following bugs have been confirmed and now is being fixed:

button lost its picture after the first click

button does not appear on some newly opened windows, even if it's enabled in the configuration

button does not react on switching the Desktop Divider on/off (does not disappear if the Divider was on and does not appear if it was off; both cases consider that button itself is enabled)
Confirming that these bugs have been solved in beta 2.

Bertram: If you have not selected a layout and click the "Activate the layout"-Button you get an error message.

Confirmed.

Bertram: In "Window Settings" -> "Window Menu" the entry "Put into..." has no text.

Confirmed.
Confirming the fixes for these bugs in beta 2.

Furthermore, I am also looking forward to a response to Bertram's posts from January 25 and point 3 of the overlooked items in my post from January 26 (points 1 and 2 are not relevant anymore: point 1 has been added to beta 2, and point 2 is clear to me now that the right-click menu on the desktop works in beta 2).

Best regards.

Gerard Booth
Advanced user

Posted: 02/12/2012 16:49:00

Apologies for the lack of activity lately, but I am still sorting my system after a severe failure. In fact I am posting from my Ipad.

Anyway i was able to try out the latest beta for a short while before the lights went out.

i also thought the desktop divider buttons were to be modified to show a vertical and a horizontal bar. This would be the most logical way to show the function of each button.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 02/13/2012 00:56:55

Good luck with restoring your system Gerard :!:

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 02/13/2012 01:51:38

Working with desktop dividers I have found another feature request: on the startup tab of a specific window setting I would like to be able to move the window automatically to a specified desktop tile, similar to being able to automatically move a newly opened window to a specified monitor or virtual desktop.

Gerard Booth
Advanced user

Posted: 02/16/2012 13:44:35

Thank you Pim  :D

Just about got every working now, just running a little slowly for some reason.

We had a power surge for some reason, and it took out a couple of internal hard drives.

Bertram Vogel
Advanced user

Posted: 02/21/2012 11:19:29

I like the changes made to the desktop divider feature in the latest beta very much :)

Some notes:

1. Window Size is not always calculated correctly:
Steps to reproduce:
a) Make and activate a 2x2 tile layout.
b) Open notepad.exe (or any other window)
c) Left-Click on the put-into-divider-tile button
   -> the window is correctly put into this tile
d) Right-Click on the put-into-divider-tile button and select the tile the window is already in (!)
   -> the window is resized a little bit (gets a little bit smaller, you can see this especially when looking at the screen edges)

2. Problems with the new "stretch over adjacent tiles" feature with inaccurate layouts:
Steps to reproduce:
a) Make a 2x2 tile layout
b) make sure all the tiles have exactly the size 50% - 50%
c) now move the border separating tile 3 and 4 just a little bit to the left, so tile 3 is 49,9% wide and tile 4 is 50,1% wide.
d) Open notepad.exe (or any other window)
e) Right-Click on the put-into-divider-tile button
f) starting in tile 1 (!) try to drag to tile 4 -> it is not possible !?
g) starting in tile 2 (!) try to drag to tile 3 -> works fine !
This should be fixed. To avoid inaccurate layouts i think it would help if the tile-borders would snap to each other in the "edit tiles"-dialog like i desribed in my second post on January 25.

But here is a way to reproduce it. It also shows another problem:
1. Make sure you have no open notepad window (notepad.exe)
2. Open the "Desktop Divider Pane" in the AWM-Configuration
3. Set DD to be active "Always"
4. Delete all layouts you have
5. SAVE the configuration
6. Open a new notepad-window (i will call it window A in the following)
7. Add a new layout
8. Activate this layout
9. Open a second notepad-window (window B)
10. Move window A --> Desktop Divider is active (you can see this by the red area at the top of the monitor), but the taskbar area IS included!
11. Move window B --> Desktop Divider is NOT working
12. SAVE the configuration
13. Desktop Divider is working with BOTH window A and window B, and the taskbar area is not included!
14. Add another layout and activate it
15. Desktop Divider is working with BOTH windows, but again the taskbar area is included.
This problem with the included taskbar-area described in my first post on January 25 still exists and it is now much easier to reproduce it!
1. Just make sure you have at least two different tile-layouts in the desktop divider pane and DD is set to be active "always".
2. Activate the first layout.
3. Open a new window (no mather what)
4. Activate the second layout.
  -> The taskbar-area is included! (also see the attached screenshot)
The problem does not occur if you change the layout via the desktop right-click menu.

4. The ideas i mentioned in my second post on January 25 should still be considered.
To emphasize the problem with the hierarchy also look at the following example:
Make a 2x2 tile layout (so you have 4 tiles of equal size). Now you want to move only the border between the tiles 3 and 4 (leaving the border between tiles 1 and 2 unchanged). It depends on the order in which you clicked the buttons whether you can achieve this or not (!).
In my opinion this may be confusing for a "normal" user. The hierarchy should be "more visible".

Best Regards.

Bertram Vogel
Advanced user

Posted: 02/22/2012 09:15:03

Just forgot something:

5. Under "Options" -> "Window Snapping" -> "Classic Snapping" please add an entry "To the desktop divider tile borders" so you can switch on and off the snapping to the borders of the desktop divider tiles. This would be consistent, because you can switch on and off all the other snapping features here.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 03/04/2012 03:07:08

Hello Vasiliy and Alex,

I (and I also think Bertram, Gerard and others) am curious about your response(s) to our posts since January 25th. I know that this thread is probably dealt with by Alex, and that you are all very busy with the new version, so maybe that is why we have not heard from you yet. But could you please give a response? Even a response like "we will answer you within the next two weeks" or similar will be OK for me, because I understand you are busy and this thread is rather extensive. I am however curious about the various topics that we have discussed. And maybe your response will then lead to new questions/clarifications/ideas from us which can then benefit the new release!

Thank you.
Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 03/05/2012 04:47:29

I have found another bug. Auto-spanning to the right half of the desktop does not work when there are at least 2 horizontal desktop tiles at that side. The right half of the desktop does turn blue (the color that I selected manually) as an indication that the window will be spanned to the right half, but it is moved to the corresponding desktop tile. Strangely, this does not happen at the left half of the desktop. It happens with AWM 7.0 beta 2 on both Vista Ultimate 32-bit and Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 03/15/2012 13:24:42

Auto-spanning to the right half of the desktop does not work when there are at least 2 horizontal desktop tiles at that side.
Confirming the fix for this issue in AWM 7.0 final.

But how about the other questions?? I did notice f.i. that the desktop divider buttons still display vertical lines instead of a vertical and a horizontal line respectively (see my post above). Another example: i still think that snapping a window to the tile borders should active the desktop tile indicator. I just had some doubt whether you had perhaps deactivated that snapping option, because it was very difficult for me to tell that a window snapped to a desktop tile border, when changing the size of a window . Please, let's continue the discussion we have here  :(

Messages 31 - 40 of 69
First | Prev. | 2 3 4 5 6 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register