New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 11 - 12 of 12
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Home vs Office with Multiple Monitors » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 20347

Robert Hall

Posted: 04/01/2022 03:53:27

Bogdan,
Thank you for reaching out. I've been meaning to upd ate everyone here, but I've just been so busy these past few days. Anyway, the short answer is yes, I have se t up successfully the specific settings for the sub-windows in Outlook. There's been some nuance between home and office as to which type of specific settings work best (ie 'restricted placement vs aligning and resizing), but I'm 99% there.

However, I'm not running this batch file process you mention, but I'd like to explore it more, I think.
Right now what I'm doing is this. I open AWM as my first application each morning. I'm presented with the attached screen. I've created a keyboard macro (fr om AWM>Hotkeys>Custom) that includes the series of commands '<Space><Down>' repeated 24 times. This essentially toggles off and on the two 'sets' of settings between home and office. This works well, but will require maintenance if I choose to add more specific settings. What do you think of this process?

I have one issue with this process - at the end of running the keyboard macro, my 'Ctrl' and 'Alt' keys act as if they remain engaged once the macro is done running. I have to manually press the keys on my keyboard to disengage them; otherwise my mouse clicks or keystrokes in other programs are all wonky because my computer thinks I'm clicking the mouse or typing while also holding Ctrl and Alt. It might be worth mentioning that the keys I use to trigger the macro are 'Ctrl + Alt + r' - So I'm guessing this is related.

Anyway, this is what I'm doing now. I don't understand the batch process you mention above. So if you think it's still a better option, please reply back and elaborate more on how it would work. Specifically, what are these lines of code you've provided in earlier? Where would this code be stored, and how would I call it? Would I have two different calls, one for home and one for office? It sounds like I'll have to upgrade the software as well. Let me know wh ere to go from there.

Finally, I'm going to start another thread soon for some odd behavior I've been having with AWM and Chrome, so please be on the lookout for that. Thanks again for your time!

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/13/2022 10:17:44

Robert,

This essentially toggles off and on the two 'sets' of settings between home and office. This works well, but will require maintenance if I choose to add more specific settings. What do you think of this process?
I think this is a creative solution. It's not what we would suggest in this situation. But as long as it works for you - I don't see why you shouldn't use it. Except the problem with sticking modifier keys there should be no problems with this solution. And yes, it will require maintenance. But the script solution also requires maintenance in a way - you'll have to create new configuration backup file after changing the configuration.

I have one issue with this process - at the end of running the keyboard macro, my 'Ctrl' and 'Alt' keys act as if they remain engaged once the macro is done running.
This problem has been confirmed. We'll try to fix it and will post here when it's fixed.

Does this problem happen every time you use the Run keyboard macro or it happens only sometimes?

I don't understand the batch process you mention above. So if you think it's still a better option, please reply back and elaborate more on how it would work.
A batch file is a special text file that includes one or multiple commands that run in sequence to perform various actions with Command Prompt. To create a batch file you need to create a text file, then type the commands into the file and save it. Then change the file extension from .txt to .cmd. And the batch file is ready. You can execute the file and the commands of this file will be performed.

The file should contain the following commands:

Code
PUSHD "C:\Program Files (x86)\Actual Window Manager"

START /WAIT ActualWindowManagerCenter.exe restore <backup_file_name.zip>

START ActualWindowManagerCenter.exe

POPD

PUSHD "C:\Program Files (x86)\Actual Window Manager"
This command temporarily navigates to the installation folder of Actual Window Manager. In the quotes you need to specify the path to the installation folder on your computer.

START /WAIT ActualWindowManagerCenter.exe restore <backup_file_name.zip>
The restore command is one of the Actual Window Manager commands. It restores the AWM configuration from the previously saved configuration backup file.
START command with /WAIT option pause the script execution until the restoration process finishes.
<backup_file_name.zip> is the full path and name of the .zip file with respective configuration.

START ActualWindowManagerCenter.exe
This command just starts Actual Window Manager. START here is used in order for the Command Line window to close automatically. If you don't use START here the Command Line window will stay open until you exit Actual Window Manager.

POPD
Cancels the PUSHD command and navigates from the installation folder of Actual Window Manager back to the initial directory of Command Line.

Where would this code be stored, and how would I call it?
You can store anywhere you want and call it any name. For example they can have names HOME.cmd and OFFICE.cmd. Probably, the desktop is a good place to store these files.

Would I have two different calls, one for home and one for office?
Yes, one file should restore the configuration for home and the other one for office.

It sounds like I'll have to upgrade the software as well.
Could you tell why you thought so? Such solution is available since old versions.

Messages 11 - 12 of 12
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register