Register

Messages 11 - 20 of 27
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Tooltips flashing in 6.5 beta 2 » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 21469

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 03/13/2013 07:07:44

Hello Bogdan and Gerard,

Gerard, thanks for chiming in. If you hadn't I probably would have asked you to. It is "sort of good" to get confirmed that I am not the only one with this issue. Are you using Windows 8 32 or 64-bit?

Bogdan, I usually get text boxes that are empty most of the time (see attached picture). The text always flickers and only appears for a very short time, even too short to read it. As said, most of the time the box is empty though. There is no difference between moving my cursor or not.

Best regards.

Gerard Booth
Advanced user

Posted: 03/13/2013 12:34:02

Pim Joosten wrote:
Gerard, thanks for chiming in. If you hadn't I probably would have asked you to. It is "sort of good" to get confirmed that I am not the only one with this issue. Are you using Windows 8 32 or 64-bit?

At the moment I have AWM beta installed with Windows 8 32bit.  I am in the process of setting up a 64bit system so I cannot test it at the moment.  
Under Win 8 32bit the text is visible in the tooltips but they are rapidly flickering on and off, as per my original post.  However I have been able to test again under Vista 32bit and all works fine.
The tooltips show and are stable, no flickering at all.

Whatever the outcome, I think it would be a good idea to have an option to enable/disable the tooltips. Once a user becomes familiar with the different options, they are not needed and they do become a nuisance after a while.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 03/13/2013 13:43:16

Gerard wrote:
At the moment I have AWM beta installed with Windows 8 32bit. I am in the process of setting up a 64bit system so I cannot test it at the moment.
Unfortunately my 64-bit Vista Ultimate machine is broken at this moment, so I can also only observe that the error is present on a 32-bit system (my laptop with Vista Ultimate).

Under Win 8 32bit the text is visible in the tooltips but they are rapidly flickering on and off
Is this a new installation, or is it upgraded fr om the Vista machine wh ere you previously experienced the issue too? It seems rather strange that you see a difference in behaviour between your Win 8 and Vista machines.

Whatever the outcome, I think it would be a good idea to have an option to enable/disable the tooltips. Once a user becomes familiar with the different options, they are not needed and they do become a nuisance after a while.
I completely agree.

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 03/13/2013 23:51:31

Hello Gentlemen

Gerard, do you mean that you hover the pointer over the element, then it stands still, you don't move it and the tooltip keeps on flickering?

Best regards.

Gerard Booth
Advanced user

Posted: 03/14/2013 13:38:05

My apologies for not responding sooner, but I have been out on site all day today.

Pim Joosten wrote:
Is this a new installation, or is it upgraded fr om the Vista machine wh ere you previously experienced the issue too? It seems rather strange that you see a difference in behaviour between your Win 8 and Vista machines.

The PC I had the previous problem with still has Vista installed (I am updating this to WIN 8 64bit). 7.5 beta 1 has never exhibited the flickering tooltips on this machine.

The problem machine is a low spec laptop, which I have just done a fresh install of Windows 8 32 bit. AWM has never been installed previously on this PC. So every thing is fresh. Now this is the strange bit. Up until I switched the laptop off last night the tooltips flickered rapidly every time I placed the cursor over any element. Tonight when I try the tooltips work perfectly as per the Vista Machine.  Now I have not been on either of these two pc's at all today, so I have not changed or updated anything at all. Both machines have simply been booted up and AWM tested for the flickering tooltips.  I have no idea whats happened but tonight I cannot reproduce the problem at all on the Win 8 PC.

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
Gerard, do you mean that you hover the pointer over the element, then it stands still, you don't move it and the tooltip keeps on flickering?

Yes up until tonight that's exactly what was happening.

If I can reproduce this effect again, I will email a video capture of it.

Gerard Booth
Advanced user

Posted: 03/16/2013 04:13:54

After further use I don't think this is solely a AWM problem. When I checked out the laptop, it seems windows 8 had auto downloaded and installed 24 updates without informing me. Now it could be coincidence but the flickering tooltips stopped right after these updates.

Also I have another unconnected software exhibiting similar issues witn tooltips. i.e working fine on the Win 8 Machine but not on the Vista machine.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 03/16/2013 04:30:25

Thanks Gerard for the update. It is with these issues that I regret that my x64 Vista machine is broken and cannot test the issue on that machine nor in various (fresh) virtual machines, as they run on my broken Vista x64 desktop  :(  Once I have my desktop running and the issue has not been solved I will check those situations, but it may take quite while because I do have deadlines for my regular business work which come first and then I still need to select a bunch of new hardware components, like a new motherboard... Until then I only have my Vista Ultimate 32-bit laptop.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 03/18/2013 05:51:28

Hello gentlemen

Pim, what about updates in your Vista Ultimate 32-bit system? Does it have all updates installed?

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 03/19/2013 12:57:32

Hello Bogdan,

Pim, what about updates in your Vista Ultimate 32-bit system? Does it have all updates installed?
Yes, I always have updates installed within 24 hours after publication and usually within 1 hour on Patch Tuesdays :)  Despite that, the issue has always been present.

After my last post I have taken it upon me to reactivate my virtual machines on my laptop. After having done that I have tested the issue on 4 fresh VM's: Vista Ultimate 32-bit, Vista Ultimate 64-bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit and Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. In none of these VM's does the issue occur. It seems that I am the only one at present having this issue. I thought it was a more widespread issue because Gerard also experienced it, and Vasiliy had confirmed it. Is there anything recorded somewhere Bogdan from when Vasiliy confirmed the issue? If not and I am indeed the only one, I suggest that we do not go on trying to solve it any further. It is a minor issue and chances are that when I migrate to Windows 7 the issue will solve itself.

However Bogdan, what about Gerard's suggestion to be able to switch off the tooltips? Would you please consider that as a feature request?

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 03/20/2013 19:59:36

Hello Gentlemen

Does the flashing appear when the program not launched, just Configuration Window?

However Bogdan, what about Gerard's suggestion to be able to switch off the tooltips? Would you please consider that as a feature request?
Do you need it even if the problem with flashing is solved?

Best regards.

Messages 11 - 20 of 27
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register