New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 20
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Feedback on Align Hotspots in Monitor Selector dialog , In AWM 8.0 beta 1 » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 14870

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 05/29/2013 22:08:47

I want to drop a quick note about the new Align Hotspots in the Monitor Selector dialog. I really like this idea, but I would prefer if there was an option to switch the Align Hotspots off and on in the settings. The reason is that if I want to move a window to a certain monitor keeping its position as it was (the way it worked in previous versions, i.e. not aligning it to a hotspot), I now have less space to target my mouse. This is especially true for monitors with a lower resolution, as the hotspots take the same absolute space on each monitor in the Monitor Selector dialog. If I do not want to use the hotspots I now have to be more careful where I drop the window in the Monitor Selector dialog. There is a chance of making an error if I work fast and just want to quickly drop the window on another monitor (which is my situation regularly).

Another option might be not to have an option to switch the Hotspots on and off, but to size the Align Hotspots in the Monitor Selector dialog proportionally to the monitor size. I find the size of the Hotspots fine for my 1680 x 1050 monitor, OK for my 1280 x 768 monitor, but too big for my 1024 x 768 monitor.

P.S. I will be giving more feedback on other options of the latest beta, but because I am working hard on meeting a couple of very important deadlines in the next 2 weeks that feedback will be coming somewhat later than I normally would.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/17/2013 10:47:09

Hello Pim

I'm glad to notify you that this feature are being significantly reworked now, you'll see the result in the next version, it will differ from the existing feature and i think it will suit your needs.

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 07/04/2013 02:03:50

Hello Bogdan,

The new way the Align Hotspots work as included in beta 2 is indeed much better! My problem as described in my first post has disappeared...

Best regards.

Larry Hess

Posted: 07/04/2013 03:45:42

I can't seem to find the Monitor Selector dialog referred to in the statement "Numerous fixes and improvements in the Monitor Selector dialog." I other terminology used in the product?

Larry Hess CPA
Albuquerque, NM USA

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 07/04/2013 14:11:16

Hello Larry,

The Monitor Selector dialog is only displayed if one has 3 or more monitors, by right clicking the Move to Monitor button or the application's taskbar button on an AWM taskbar and then selecting "Move to". Maybe you have less than 3 monitors?

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 07/07/2013 03:12:06

Hello Bogdan,

Now that I have been working with the Align Hotspots for a little while I have some more feedback:
1. Could you make the darkening effect that shows where the window will be placed a bit less dark? Especially if the displayed windows/items on the monitor where I want to move the window is also somewhat dark, it is difficult to see what I will be covering by moving the window.
2. I think it would be a good idea to add snapping to the left and right half of the monitor and maximizing a window to the options when moving. I think this is a very useful addition which could be done by using the blue border of the Align Hotspots. The upper and lower horizontal blue bar could then be used for maximizing a window when moving, the left and right vertical blue bar could be used for snapping to the left and right half of the monitor. Then all areas of the Align Hotspots have their own meaning: the dots to to select a hotspot, the regular monitor area to just move the window, the horizontal blue border to maximize a window and the vertical blue border to snap a window. It would then also be a good idea to give the vertical and horizontal bars a somewhat different color, to indicate that there is a difference in behavior.

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 07/07/2013 17:07:01

Hello Larry,

I can't seem to find the Monitor Selector dialog referred to in the statement "Numerous fixes and improvements in the Monitor Selector dialog." I other terminology used in the product?
I have to correct my previous response that the Monitor Selector dialog is only shown on systems with more than 2 monitors. That used to be the case, but starting with this beta you can also access the Monitor Selector dialog on a 2 monitor system by right clicking the Move to monitor title button.

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 07/07/2013 17:44:42

Hello Bogdan,

1. Could you make the darkening effect that shows where the window will be placed a bit less dark?
I think it would be a good idea to use the preview color settings for Aero Snap (Options > Windows snapping > Aero snap) for the Monitor Selector dialog too. I have changed that setting to a color to my liking (Red: 64,  Green: 128, Blue: 128) and I like that color much better than the standard color for the Monitor Selector dialog.

Best regards.

Larry Hess

Posted: 07/17/2013 05:06:51

I have to correct my previous response that the Monitor Selector dialog is only shown on systems with more than 2 monitors. That used to be the case, but starting with this beta you can also access the Monitor Selector dialog on a 2 monitor system by right clicking the Move to monitor title button.

Larry Hess CPA
Albuquerque, NM USA

Larry Hess

Posted: 07/17/2013 05:09:58

That doesn't seem to work in AMM. When I right-click "Move to ..." the window just moves to the other monitor.

Larry Hess CPA
Albuquerque, NM USA

Messages 1 - 10 of 20
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login