Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 13
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Top window issues » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 19906

G F

Posted: 11/19/2020 18:19:24

Issues again

I think it's related to the fact, that I minimized my windows explorer toolbar. Now any window I maximize in my main monitor has the top part as white. AMW is becoming a joke - I'm tired of jumping around bugs that it introduces. The point of AMW is to make it more convenient to use windows, but it's coming to the point, where it's more of a nuisance. Very disappointed.

User added an image

G F

Posted: 11/19/2020 18:20:33

Can anyone maybe recommend some other software, that is actually maintained and does something similar like AMW?

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/20/2020 14:45:21

Hello, G F

Thank you for contacting us.

I'm tired of jumping around bugs that it introduces.
What bugs you've personally encountered except this one, the one with the taskbar over full-screen Chromium-based apps (which was actually a Chromium bug and it's fixed now) and the problem with videos in Chrome (which is not a common problem, as I can see, and also you stopped providing the information about this problem that would let us investigate it)?

Regarding the subject: Could you send us your current AWM configuration files using the Send to Tech Support tool (AWM configuration module > Tools > Configuration > Send to Tech Support)? Change the "To..." address to bogdan@actualtools.com and add a link to this topic in the email.

I think it's related to the fact, that I minimized my windows explorer toolbar.
Could you clarify what you mean by "minimized my windows explorer toolbar"? Are you talking about the Autohide option for the Windows taskbar?

Could you specify the exact number of your Windows build (type winver in the Search field of the Windows Start menu, press Enter. The Window containing the build number will appear).

Best regards.

G F

Posted: 11/20/2020 20:24:39

* I also get this https://www.actualtools.com/forum/read.php?FID=10&TID=5537

* Also the FileExplorer Search feature does not work most of the time - I click it, the selection history flashes briefly and it's unselected again - I can't enter the search text.

* I often get random leftover bits of window fragment - like part of a border of an application - left on my screen, which only disappear after I restart my computer.

* Visual Studio sometimes crashes for no good reason, other than AWM doing it's thing - mostly when trying to display new windows when debugging. Stops crashing when AWM is turned off.

* When I try to give control to my computer using MS Teams, if AWM is running, the popup for giving control does not appear.

This list is just from the top of my head, I'm most likely forgetting other stuff.

End users are not your BetaTesters.

Rocco

Posted: 12/03/2020 14:08:49

G F wrote:
* Also the FileExplorer Search feature does not work most of the time - I click it, the selection history flashes briefly and it's unselected again - I can't enter the search text.

I've first purchased AWM about 14 years ago and purchased many updates over the years. I was especially excited when they added multi tabs to Explorer but this bug is making that feature unusable. This is top priority fix request for me. I have to have tabs in Explorer please.

I can't really add anything to G Fs description except it's unpredictable when it happens, and I usually have to pause AWM to use the search box. If you need any info from me let me know.

ps. I recently updated my subscription in the hopes that an updated version would fix it but it is still happening.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/07/2020 08:17:37

Hello, everyone

G F,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Actual Window Manager is a complex program and, of course, problems of compatibility with other software are inevitable, because it's impossible to consider all possible interaction scenarios with such great variety of software.
The problems you've encountered are peculiar problems. Many of the users of our programs don't encounter even a single of the listed problems. We're sorry that you have all these problems at once and we understand why you got such impression of AWM.

As for the subject problem: could you disable the Tabbed Explorer feature and see whether it solves the problem (AWM configuration module > Files and Folders > Tabbed Explorer > Group Explorer windows...)?

I also get this https://www.actualtools.com/forum/read.php?FID=10&TID=5537
I've mentioned this problem in my previous message. We're ready to investigate it further, but you've stopped replying in that topic.

Also the FileExplorer Search feature does not work most of the time
This is a known problem but this problem is not consistent and it's hard to track it down. We'll try to fix it and will post in this topic if it's fixed.

I often get random leftover bits of window fragment - like part of a border of an application - left on my screen, which only disappear after I restart my computer.
As well as the subject problem and the problem with YouTube videos in Chrome it seems to be associated with your particular graphics card model or graphics card driver. Could you specify the graphics card model and the version of the graphics card driver installed in your system?
You can try to run AWM on some other computer – most likely these problems won't appear on that computer.

* Visual Studio sometimes crashes for no good reason, other than AWM doing it's thing - mostly when trying to display new windows when debugging. Stops crashing when AWM is turned off.

* When I try to give control to my computer using MS Teams, if AWM is running, the popup for giving control does not appear.

If you want us to try to solve these problems could you create separate topics for each problem and provide more detailed information about them with step-by-step description of how to reproduce the problems.

Rocco

I can't really add anything to G Fs description except it's unpredictable when it happens, and I usually have to pause AWM to use the search box.

As I wrote in my reply to G F, this is a known problem, but this problem is not consistent and it's hard to track it down. We'll try to fix it and will post in this topic if it's fixed.

Best regards.

Rocco

Posted: 12/07/2020 11:32:37

Actually, at the time of my last post I happen to change my virus program from Avira to another one and I haven't seen the problem with Explorer search bar, since. Maybe it was Avira? It would be interesting to know if G F is using Avira too. I'm currently using AVG antivirus.

G F

Posted: 12/08/2020 15:02:29

The random leftovers are not because of my graphics card - I've had ~5 different GPU's in the time I've used AWM - all of them had this issue. Visual studio was a particular cause of these - I think AWM isn't able to recognize all of the borders and whatnot that VS draws. It's not a GPU artifact - sometimes it's an indent, but sometimes it's a black block that I can actually move around.

G F

Posted: 12/11/2020 15:42:01

This is not a graphics card issue. It's obviously a shadow not being recognized as part of the window and being left there as an indent.

User added an image

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/16/2020 01:27:06

G F,

I'm not saying it's a solely graphics card problem. I'm saying the problem may be a result of combination of using of AWM and of some property of your particular PC/system.

Could you next time a similar object appears, open the AWM configuration module > Window Settings > Exclusions. Create a new Exclusion and use the Crosshair element from the Exclusion window to point to the object. Please pay attention whether the Target Window criteria values change in the Exclusion window as you point to the object as opposed to when you point to a blank desktop space. If the object has its own paramaters, could you send us a screenshot of the Excluson window containing the parameters.

Messages 1 - 10 of 13
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 2, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register