New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 12
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Alt+Tab stops working , Alt+Tab stops working when Actual Window Manager is running and the co » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 7859

Josh Jeppson

Posted: 02/07/2013 15:38:04

Alt+Tab stops working when Actual Window Manager is running and the computer is locked. After logging back in, Alt+Tab no longer switches windows or brings up the task switcher window with running apps. Win+Tab still works and displays a 3D task switcher.

A complete log off or reboot is needed to restore Alt+Tab functionality.

As long as the computer is not locked, Alt+Tab works just fine with AWM.

Actual Window Manager 7.4.2
Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 x64

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/07/2013 19:58:30

Hello Josh

Thank you for the post.

The problem has been confirmed.

We'll fix it.

Best regards.

Josh Jeppson

Posted: 02/07/2013 23:23:02

Awesome!

Gotta say... As a software developer myself, I appreciate how quickly you respond to and fix issues discovered in your tools.
I've paid for and been using Actual Window Manager for 4 or 5 versions now. I think this is the 2nd or 3rd bug that I've reported and all have been repro'ed and fixed very quickly.

Thanks Again! Love the tool!

~ Josh

Josh Jeppson

Posted: 02/07/2013 23:25:13

Btw,

This should probably go somewhere else but... a feature I would like to see is a send to bottom on deactivation with optional timeout, similar to the automatic close, minimize and rollup features.
Also, it would be nice if the pin to desktop feature didn't remove the Aero styling of the window. I don't know if that is possible though.

~ Josh

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/08/2013 04:06:57

Josh, the subject issue has been already fixed.

The installation file has been refreshed.

Please, download the new installation file and check whether the problem has gone.

We'll consider your requests.

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 02/08/2013 04:55:45

Hello Bogdan,

Thank you for the quick fix! I just spent many, many hours trying to find the cause and when I concluded it was the latest release of AWM I immediately went to the forum and saw this post. Because I had installed/upd ated many programs it unfortunately was not clear to me right away that the issue was associated with AWM. Usually, if a problem is related to AWM I can check that by stopping AWM. If the problem then stops too, it must be related. In this case however, if I stopped AWM the problem persisted. So I thought it had nothing to do with AWM. Moreover, I only encountered the issue if I had confirmed admin rights for any program via UAC. I had however been experimenting with UAC programs, so my first inclination was to look there for the cause. Yes, sh.. happens. Anyway, I am glad it is solved now.

May I make one suggestion however? I think it would be better to increase the version number by 0.0.1 if a change has been made to the installation file, even if it is just one (small) bug fix. In this case the latest version would have become 7.4.3. I think this differentiates the versions with and without a bug and avoids confusion. Moreover and even more importantly, I would get an upd ate notification! I did not get that this time, even though I have se t AWM to check for updates on a daily basis. This might have helped me track the cause (much) quicker with less effort :!:  I honestly only see drawbacks if you keep the same version number if there is a new bug fix added. Therefore, I really want to urge you to increase the version number next time if the installation file is refreshed! By doing that you might save a lot of clients time (and money)!

Best regards.

S B

Posted: 02/08/2013 08:47:35

Hi,

I just want to add a vote to Pim Joosten suggestion to generate a new version number when a fix is applied. I searched a lot of things to make my alt+tab work again... didn't think about AMM until this morning and figure out that the update might have cause the problem.

Thanks anyway for this forum so now I know that I have to re-install the same version to fix the problem and thanks for the quick fix.

Your product is awesome by the way!  ;)

Simon

Josh Jeppson

Posted: 02/08/2013 11:15:04

The original issue appears to be fixed with the new version.

Thank you very much!

~ Josh

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/12/2013 04:32:57

Hello gentlemen

We'll consider your remarks about the version number.

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 02/24/2013 04:12:48

Hello Bogdan,

Please do not consider our request about the version number, but do it. This is the first time I am this persistent, but it is for a good reason. I am an entrepreneur, just like Actual Tools, and time is valuable to me. In this case I have spent many hours trying to solve an issue which I very likely would not have had to spend if there had been a new version number associated with the refreshed installation file, because, as I said, I have AWM set to check for updates daily. I have been and most likely will be testing betas of AWM because, as I have stated before, I think AWM is a great program and communication with Actual Tools is just as great. However, if I have to spend time which could have been avoided easily, it frustrates me, as I could have spent it (much) better. I volunteer being a beta tester, and the risk that the beta contains a bug is a risk I consciously take. If I am very busy with my business I sometimes skip a beta, because at that moment I just cannot take the risk of losing time if there were a bug. However, with regard to the refreshed installation file and the version number I do not have a choice.

I do not know of any other program where two slightly different versions have the same version number. Fixes are always published with a new version number. AWM is the only program I know (and I use many) of which sometimes a refreshed installation file is published with the same version number as the version containing the bug. It is also in contradiction with the methodology of version numbers, IMO. Also, and then I am going to finish my argument, with AMM 5.0.2 you did exactly what I propose. There was a small but annoying bug (registration codes for version 4.x did not get accepted as correct codes for version 5.x) and you did increase the version number from 5.0.1 to 5.0.2.

So again, please increase the version number by 0.0.1 every time you refresh an installation file. I think you will be doing your users a great service if you make that standard practice.

I hope I have made my point  ;)
Looking forward to work with Actual Tools as well as always.

Best regards.

Messages 1 - 10 of 12
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register