New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 21
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Actual Window Manager causing screen to go crazy? , When low on memory and High CPU usage! » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 38639

Michael Mason

Posted: 07/18/2010 17:07:59

Actual Window Manager may be causing open windows and icons on taskbar to disappear when computer is slowed down because of low memory.

I wish I could explain this better but here goes.

But basically if I really push my computer to the limits like having 50+ tabs open in IE8 and at the same time having a few programs running in the backround like PS3 Media Server and others for example i notice that at random times all of a sudden when say clicking on a picture on a web page that opens in a new window all my open windows lose the Aero look become strange looking. Like some of the open windows become black. I am talking about the whole window not just the border. Also when this happens icons start disappearing fr om the bottom taskbar. My screen gets so messed up that I can not even move the cursor. The desttop basically is frozen and the only way out of it is to hit the reset bottom on the computer case.

Now I relize when memeory runs low and the cpu is working hard crazy things can happen like this. But the reason I think Actual Window Manager is casuing the Black windows and disappearing icons is because when I am not running Actual Window Manager and still working my computer hard with low memory and high cpu usage my open windows do not become black and no icon disappear. And desktop still works like normal maybe just slower. Which of course would be normal because of low memory and high CPU usage.

So i am not sure if this is a bug in Actual Window Manager or if this is just the results of what happens when running Actual Window Manager and computer is running on low memory and high cpu usage.

Like I said this is very very hard for me to explain. But I guess the best way for you to test this to have Actual Window Manager running and then really work you computer to the lim it. And see if your desktop goes crazy.

So what I am basiclly saying is my desktop even when running low on memory and cpu usage is high my desktop still runs like normal for the most part. Only when Actual Window Manager is running do I see this craziness happen.

My spces

Intel Core 2 Duo 6700 2.66GHz
4GB of Memory
Lots of hard drive space
Windows 7 Home 64 Bit

And currently running Actual Window Manager 6.2 Beta 1 But I have seen this craziness happen with Actual Window Manager 6.1 also.

Any ideas why this happens?

I guess there is also always the possibility that something got corrupted on my computer? And maybe a format and clean install of Windows 7 is in order?

Thanks for your time
Michael

zegames zegames
Advanced user

Posted: 07/19/2010 07:52:05

You explained very well, this problem occur at least one time per week in my system.

:(

Michael Mason

Posted: 07/20/2010 15:03:07

zegames zegames wrote:
You explained very well, this problem occur at least one time per week in my system.

zegames zegames wrote:

So what can we do about it?

Tatiana Jack
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 07/21/2010 05:02:26

Gentlemen,

We failed to reproduce he situation on our test machines. Could you make a screen shot of Task Manager processes list with Handles, USER Objects, GDI Objects columns when the problem is appearing?

E-mail: support@actualtools.com

Michael Mason

Posted: 07/21/2010 06:03:24

Tatiana Jack wrote:
Gentlemen,

We failed to reproduce he situation on our test machines. Could you make a screen shot of Task Manager processes list with Handles, USER Objects, GDI Objects columns when the problem is appearing?

I will try however when this craziness happens I am not sure if Windows Task Manager will even open.

Michael Mason

Posted: 07/21/2010 11:52:30

Tatiana Jack wrote:
Gentlemen,

I was able to reproduce the issue! And also have a screenshot of the messed up desktop and also taskbar manager info.  

User added an imageUser added an imageUser added an image

Notest in the screenshots how Aero is turnned off and and the windows are all missing? Also see how the taskbar looks messed up? Also you can see my wallpaper turned black.

Its just crazy!!

zegames zegames is this what happens to you also?

Michael Mason

Posted: 07/21/2010 11:58:44

So far I have not yet been able to reproduce this issue when Actual Window Manager is "not" running!

Since the Windows are missing in the screenshots because of the issue I just wanted to let you know that the Handles, USER Objects, and GDI Objects columns are right after the memory info.

Michael Mason

Posted: 07/21/2010 13:48:06

Also just to add I reformated and did a clean install of Windows 7 and still get this bug!

Michael Mason

Posted: 07/21/2010 14:13:55

Also when this bug happens if you drag a window on the desktop it move really slow and like paints the desktop. If that makes sense. Dragging things make other things disappear.

Its nuts! :(

Michael Mason

Posted: 07/22/2010 09:21:18

Since disabling Actual Window Manager I ran my computer to the MAX now for over 24 hours and have and have yet to see this bug apear again.

I am 100% sure it has something to do with Actual Window Manager!!!

To test this what you need to do is again have Actual Window Manager running and then load up a ton of software and also open lots and lots of tabs in IE8.

This should cause the bug to re apear again.

Messages 1 - 10 of 21
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register