Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «How to hide a few specified windows with hot key? , boss key for applications » on forum: Window Rules, or Tips and Tricks   Views: 4637

iiee ann

Posted: 07/30/2021 10:34:34

Hi,

I would like to use a hot key to minimize specific amount of windows, for example browser, movie player, spotify, chat etc; hide them all with 1 hot key.
If it is possible to mute the sound of those hidden windows that would be even better.

This act as emergency boss key when deadly boss suddenly appears.

Win+D is hide desktop this is not practical because I need the "work related" application windows to remain open.  

Thanks.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/05/2022 19:20:31

Hello, iiee ann

I apologize for such long delay in replying to you.

Does the deadly boss problem still concern you?  :D

I would like to use a hot key to minimize specific amount of windows
For now our software doesn't provide the ability to set individual hotkeys per application/group of applications. But I think the Virtual Desktops feature lets you accomplish what you need.
You can create two (or more) virtual desktops. Then in the Default Settings enable the "Move to virtual desktop" action and select "All desktops" for the action (AWM configuration module > Window Settings > Default Settings > Startup > Move to virtual dekstop). Then you need to create separate specific settings for each of your cool applications and change the option for the "Move to virtual desktop" action in specific settings for them to one of your virtual desktops. Thus your work applications will be displayed on all virtual desktops, but there will be also one virtual desktop which additionally will contain some cool applications. You can set hotkeys for each virtual desktop in the desktops options so that when needed you press the hotkey and voila - there are no unnecessary apps on your desktop.

Disable the virtual desktops switcher so that it doesn't arouse suspicion (AWM tray icon context menu > Show/Hide Switcher).

If it is possible to mute the sound of those hidden windows that would be even better.
Our software doesn't provide the ability to easily mute particular apps. But it provides the ability to mute volume in the system globally via the hotkey "Volume mute".

You can combine two hotkeys ("Switch to virtual desktop" and "Volume mute") into one - create a new Combo hotkey and in this hotkey add two "Run keyboard macro" hotkeys and specify the key combination of the "Volume mute" in the first and of the "Switch to the virtual desktop" in the second. It seems like this exact sequence doesn't tend to create problems. The format of the key combinations should be this: <Ctrl+Alt+X>

There are some problems with modifier keys getting stuck, but it needs deeper investigation. Be aware of such problems. If a modifier key has stuck you need to press it manually to release it.

For now I was able to make this solution work smooth by using these combinations:
The whole Combo action - Ctrl + Shift + Z
Volume mute - Ctrl + Alt + X
Switch to the second virtual desktop - Ctrl + Z

It's not necessary to use these exact combinations, you can try to change them. But I recommend to keep the sequence like this and avoid using the Windows key in the hotkeys. Please note that if you're going to change the combinations of the hotkeys in question you need to change them both in the settings of the hotkey and in the Run keyboard macro action in order for the whole Combo hotkey to work.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register