Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «How to use multiple virtual desktops on single monitor » on forum: General   Views: 1306

Clayton Curtis

Posted: 02/14/2023 05:53:40

Actual Windows Manager / Actual Virtual Desktops provide several useful functions that are described in the context of multiple monitors, such as having completely different VD (desktop icons, taskbar, etc.).  However, it isn't apparent how to use multiple such VD with a single display (e.g., a laptop or a desktop with a single monitor). This leads to two questions:

1. Is what I'm after even possible / supported?
2. If so, where should I be able to find information on how to do so?  I've been unable to find coverage of this in the user manual.

I've attached a screen capture taken from the video linked to ("Watch video") on the AWM product page. The image shows two very different desktops in the context of multiple monitors.  What I want is to be able to duplicate that with a single display.

Any ideas?

Clayton Curtis

Posted: 02/14/2023 05:57:23

It seems that the image I tried to attach didn't make it. So I've attached it here. Apologies in advance if this is a duplicate.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/16/2023 02:34:49

Hello, Clayton

Thank you for contacting us.

Basically there is no big difference between using virtual desktops on a multi-monitor setup and using it with a single monitor.

The image shows two very different desktops in the context of multiple monitors.  What I want is to be able to duplicate that with a single display.
Please note that different sets of desktop icons on the monitors in this case have nothing to do with virtual desktops - the icons are just placed like this on the monitors. For now our software doesn't provide the ability to have different sets of desktop icons on different virtual desktops. We'll consider this as a feature request and will post here if such ability is added.

Actual Tools virtual desktops provide the ability to have different set of open windows on each desktop and also to have different background picture.

Could you clarify what exactly features you need to be available in the virtual desktops feature?

Best regards.

Clayton Curtis

Posted: 02/18/2023 05:04:41

Thanks very much for the rapid reply.

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
For now our software doesn't provide the ability to have different sets of desktop icons on different virtual desktops. We'll consider this as a feature request and will post here if such ability is added.

I have to say that I'm very disappointed at the lack of this feature. I have a single laptop and I'm involved in several different areas. (E.g., Python development, Virtual Reality, Photography, budget management, etc.)  As a result, my desktop has an excessive number of icons on the desktop in order to get to the applications and files / directories that I need at any given time.  My goal was to be able to set up virtual desktops that each had only the desktop items that I needed for each of my domains of activity.

I will see if I can achieve something similar by isolating my multitude of desktop icons in a single desktop folder containing one more layer of domain-specific folders and then figuring out how to make opening a specific virtual desktop open with the corresponding folder of icons. I think that should result in an approximation of what I wanted.  I'll go back to perusing the user manual; suggestions as to what sections might be relevant would be most welcome.

Thanks again.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register