Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Sample custom button skin with images? » on forum: General   Views: 3680

Stephen Kunkel

Posted: 01/22/2022 23:46:38

Hi there,
I'm thinking about trying to make my own button skin.

Are there any sample ones?  If not, please consider posting one... What I mean is  that I'd like to see is an ActualTools sample button image for each of the button types in the list here:
https://www.actualtools.com/windowmanager/help/howto/skin.php

I see the list here:
https://www.actualtools.com/windowmanager/help/features/titlebuttons.php

And I also see the list in the Options, where you change skins.  None of the lists seem to correspond to each other though.  Also, the one of the howto page seems to have more buttons than the other lists. There are 107 items -- though I see that almost half are "_Small" ones.  I'm not sure abouth the last five though?
CaptionButtonBackground
CaptionButtonBackground_Down
CaptionButtonBackground_Hot
CaptionButtonBackground_Inactive
CaptionButtonBackground_Inactive_hot
What should those look like?  

Anyway... I tried unzipping one of the folders here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Actual Window Manager\Skins\
but of course that didn't have the BMP files that I was expecting to see.  

So yeah, please consider zipping up a sample custom skin and posting it.  Or even a screenshot of an image like the one below would be fine.  But please include all of the images (big and small) that are in the howto XML list.  And please have them in the same order (not alpha).  

Thanks for considering this.  8)

User added an image

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/15/2022 00:39:55

Hello, Stephen

Sorry for the delay in replying to you.

Are there any sample ones?  If not, please consider posting one...
I've posted it already in the other topic but I'm posting the default skin you can use as a sample here too.

And I also see the list in the Options, where you change skins.  None of the lists seem to correspond to each other though.
The lists don't correspond because they have different purposes. On the Title Buttons page all available title buttons are listed (except Run Keyboard Macro) and the same set of title buttons is represented in the configuration module section (Window Settings > Clobal Options > Title Buttons), but with their "inner" program names. On the "How to Create Your Own Skin..." page the .bmp files for all possible states of all title buttons are listed (although the list is a little bit outdated).

I'm not sure abouth the last five though?
CaptionButtonBackground
<...>
What should those look like?
There are no .bmp files in the sample DefaultSkin.zip file for any of the "CaptionButtonBackground" items, but you don't need to change them.

CaptionButtonBackground items with the suffix "_DWM" are used in the standard skin for Windows 10 (for example "CaptionButtonBackground_Down_DWM"). And you need to base your custom skin on the standard skin for Windows 10. In this case all the CaptionButtonBackground items used in the Windows 10 skin will be inherited by your custom skin. Also, depictions of title buttons for which you don't specify your custom .bmp files will be inherited from the Default Skin (as your skin is based on the standard skin for Windows 10, and this skin in turn utilizes the icons depiction of the default skin, the same I've provided to you as a sample).

To base your custom skin on some other skin you need to use the <include> tag. In case of the standard Windows 10 skin the tag should look like this: <include>Aero_NormalColor_100</include>

The whole SKIN.XML file should look like this:

Code
<skin>
  <skininfo>My skin</skininfo>
  <include>Aero_NormalColor_100</include>
  <caption_buttons>
    <buttons>
      <button name="operation name">image file name.bmp</button>
      <button name="operation name_Small">image file name_Small.bmp</button>
    </buttons>
  </caption_buttons>
</skin>

Please pay attention that the tag <caption_buttons> is used here. You should use it too. For some reason it's not in the "How to..." instruction page.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register