Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Some issues I want to ask about » on forum: General   Views: 6816

Knighthammer

Posted: 06/05/2021 01:19:26

Greetings,

I've been using the trial of Windows Manager now for about 30 days. I decided to check out other options after using Display Fusion for a while and found it just a tad lacking.

Insofar, my biggest problem with Windows Manager is responsiveness and I want to see if there is any advice around for making it more responsive.

The biggest issues I'm having is jumping between various virtual desktops. Sometimes Windows Manager is VERY responsive and other times its very sluggish. Additionally, sometimes when I am jumping between desktops Windows Manager seems to be glitchy about whats on the Virtual Desktop compared to whats on the taskbar. Sometimes programs will appear on the Desktop of the virtual desktop but not on the taskbar and vice-a-versa. These aren't programs that have these options set.

Jumping between virtual desktops using the desktop switcher seems to work "better" then switching to a desktop via hotkeys or using the Windows Switcher that comes with Windows; however, the desktop always seems to lag (A LOT) in switching like it has to figure out how fade in. It feels like if its having problems with that function the desktop wallpapers never show up when switching to different virtual desktops.

Basically, at the end of the day, Windows Manager POTENTIALLY helps me be super productive *IF* it works. I really want this thing to be more responsive though.

Is there a way to get a debug log to you guys to see if you can make some recommendations of better configurations or are there any kneejerk solutions you can suggest?

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/10/2021 06:19:50

Hello, Knighthammer

Thank you for contacting us.

We're not aware of consistent responsiveness problems with Virtual Desktops.

Sometimes Windows Manager is VERY responsive
Does it relate both to switching via Virtual Desktops Switcher and via hotkeys?

and other times its very sluggish
Could you tell how many seconds approximately it takes to switch to other desktop when the problem persists?

Does the problem depend on how many windows you have opened in the system?

Are you running any other system enhancement or desktop enhancement software along with Actual Window Manager?

Sometimes programs will appear on the Desktop of the virtual desktop but not on the taskbar and vice-a-versa.
Does it happen with some particular applications or it can happen with any application you use? What applications you've noticed this problem with?

Could you send us your Actual Window Manager configuration files using the Send to Tech Support tool (AWM configuration module > Tools > Configuration > Send to Tech Support)?

Could you also specify the exact number of your Windows build (type winver in the Search field of the Windows Start menu, press Enter. The window containing the build number will appear).

Best regards.

Knighthammer

Posted: 06/16/2021 13:36:49

Does it relate both to switching via Virtual Desktops Switcher and via hotkeys?

Generally speaking, the longer the system is active, the higher likelihood there is that the responsiveness drop dramatically. It acts almost as though there is a MASSIVE memoryleak someplace. Windows 10 doesn't have these problems when running natively, but some programs can. I DO run very resource intensive software (IE Photoshop, Media Converter).

Particularly after doing media transcodes or a lot of network calls (sending and receiving things over the network) contributes greatly to these issues. Don't get me wrong, I realize Transcodes are painful to the memory in the best case scenarios, but the system very much is hurt by running ActualTools.

Could you tell how many seconds approximately it takes to switch to other desktop when the problem persists?

Arg --- it's hard to really say, it easily starts out quick and gets slugier and slugier. When it starts getting bad, I'm strarting to get into the 10 second bracket then it gets really bad its "get up and go to the bathroom time" to attempt to curve productivity time loss. Easily over 45 seconds.

Does the problem depend on how many windows you have opened in the system?

I wouldn't say the number of windows open really "counts".

The programs my computer boots up with is:
- Discord
- FB Messenger
- Google Voice (as a Chromium App)
- Logitech Gaming Software
- Avast
- Autotask killer
- Private Internet Access
- DropBox
- Core Temp
- Process Explorer

Windows open doesn't have as much of a bearing as much as time.

I've gotten in the habit of actually NOT starting ActualTools with the PC Bootup and starting it AFTER in an attempt to curb some of the sluggishness and that helps.

When ActualTools starts getting really sluggish, the best solutions I've found so far is to restart ActualTools or Pause it and then immediately resume it. I restart it via Process Explorer if the configuration pannel for ActualTools refuses to launch.

Are you running any other system enhancement or desktop enhancement software along with Actual Window Manager?

Nope.

---

I can't seem to send you guys the configuration as I'm not an outlook user and your program is trying to launch to outlook.

I have a DXDiag pulled too.

I cant send you guys either because I'm not an outlook user and your link tries to open there. Also, your forum doesn't accept Zip formats or txt formats. Please give me an email to send it to and a case# if I need that.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/26/2021 16:52:53

Hello, Knighthammer

I have a DXDiag pulled too.
Do you mean it prevents you from starting winver? As far as I know, it shouldn't.

Also, you can see the build number in the Windows settings: Windows Settings > System > About.

You can send the configuration files to support@actualtools.com.

Could you provide your PC specifications – the CPU and graphics card models, RAM size?

Have you tried to see in the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc combination) the common CPU and Memory consumption and what processes have the highest values of CPU and Memory consumption when the problem persists?

Could you open the Task Manager, go to the Details tab, right-click on the columns titles area and select Add columns. Then enable the following columns: Handles, GDI objects, USER objects, Threads. Then reproduce the problem and make a screenshot depicting the values of these columns for the process ActualWindowManagerCenter.exe and send it to us?

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register