Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «[SOLVED] Tool tips are windows, too » on forum: General   Views: 9768

Robert Shiffman

Posted: 08/16/2006 10:18:14

Long story: I use Total Commander as a file manager (far better than Explorer). TC has optional program icons in a toolbar, and one that I use is Notepad. It happens that I have titled the icon "Notepad." Meanwhile I have designated a startup size for Notepad in Actual Window Manager. The entry identifies the program only by its partial name (Notepad). This is to distinguish vanilla Notepad from a special one that I want to start with a different size. (This trick did not work, so I intend to start with a re-load of AWM.) As my mouse traverses the TC icons, tool tips pop up showing the names. Normally small, fit to the letters. But over Notepad the tool tip window blows up to the size I designated for the program.

This is not a problem, just a curiosity. The best defense is to change the display name (to "Note pad"). The other, more general defense would be to disallow the tool tip window. However, I can't find it's identification. The tool tip disappears as soon as the mouse moves away. Can you suggest a way to identify the tool tip window?

tcebob

tcebob

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 08/16/2006 21:41:29

Robert, as for your main request, I have to say that currently AWM has no tools to identify such "evasive" windows as tool tips, popup menus etc. There are some development helper tools like Spy++, WinSight, WinSpector Spy which could help in this situation. Also we plan to include the proper tool for this task into the next version of AWM.

As for the situation in whole - I have a one minor advice: you don't need to restart AWM totally but use the "Manage Window Rule -> Re-apply rule" window menu command instead. It enforces AWM to reset window and start to search for an appropriate rule again.

And finally - we plan to fix the rule recognition while using the "Window caption" criterion (now it doesn't work properly for windows changing their captions quickly in short time at startup).

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 05/25/2007 02:04:00

The rule recognition has been fixed since the version 4.2 of Actual Tools.

The "evasive window" issue now can be solved using the Windows Monitoring tool available since the version 4.5 beta 1 of Actual Window Manager.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register