Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Need help with a dual monitor issue , Have actual window manager, not sure it can help » on forum: General   Views: 6926

Jim Tapp

Posted: 04/07/2010 19:58:16

I have a Nvidia GT220 video card in a Dell Optiplex GX620 SFF PC, as an HTPC.  I have it connected via HDMI, to my HK AVR254 receiver, which is then connected to my projector via HDMI as well.   This has been working great, turn off my AVR and my PJ and turn them back on, switch to the right inputs, and I get video off the HTPC every time.

I have now added a SECONDARY display to the HTPC - a small LCD hooked up to the VGA port of the same GT220 video card.  I have it setup as the secondary monitor in Windows, with the PJ on HDMI as Primary, like it was before.  And this also works great.

UNTIL I turn off my PJ and AVR (I tend to leave the HTPC on at all times).   Pretty much right after, Windows flags my AVR via HDMI as no longer "attached" in the display properties, and automatically makes the secondary display, the small LCD on VGA, the primary monitor.  This moves all the icons over, task bar, any programs on the primary to secondary, etc. To get the primary via HDMI working again, I gotta go into display properties, mark it as "attached", set resolution, set it primary, etc... a huge PITA!  

I want to avoid having to do that...  figure that means either making Windows ignore, the "attached" status of the HDMI connection, OR telling it no matter what, to keep the HDMI connection the primary one.  Or something else, I'm not sure, but that's why I'm here... I've lost a lot of hair and time trying to find a solution.  If it takes buying software to allow this i'm ok with that, but I would definitely prefer NOT to change OS, or add or change any hardware....  Seems so simple, but I guess not!

Thanks very much in advance!

Tatiana Jack
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 04/14/2010 05:05:12

Dear Jim,

We are thinking that your problem is actually in drivers for NVidia video card. Our software isn't able to help you. We are working on a user level.

We'd advice you to contact with Nvidia support.

E-mail: support@actualtools.com

Jim

Posted: 06/03/2010 11:42:48

I "fixed" this. I had a mini HDMI switchbox from here:
http://www.meritline.com/hdmi-v1-3-hdcp-3-...---p-33053.aspx
that is normally powered by HDMI. However it does have an optional 5 volt DC connector - that I got a power supply for (off ebay). I put the switchbox with power between my receiver and the HTPC and... it's fixed. The constant power from the switchbox seems to satisfy Windows that there is a monitor connected and it "solves" this problem.

If I had to point fingers... I'd say H/K for not making my receiver keep the HDMI ports energized when turned off, or Windows for not having a "ignore EDID polling" option or Nvidia for not having an option in their drivers for "ignore EDID polling" or "over ride EDID" or something to that effect. For now this works well enough other then adding more clutter behind my A/V rack and an extra cable and power cord.

Jim

Posted: 06/03/2010 11:43:17

Protonus,

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register