New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 11
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «AWM 5.5b4 window snapping problems » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 22095

Rocky

Posted: 12/14/2009 18:39:05

I'm so glad that you've added the classic window snapping, i've been looking for a good app to do this for ages. I've been using WindowSpace for the past few months which works well but now it's built into AWM I don't need to run another app :)

However, there's some weird behaviour with your current implementation. I'm running Windows 7 and the most common problem I have is accidentally triggering Aero Snap when moving to the edge of the screen. Normally you just get the preview come up but AWM causes it to instantly resize which can be quite annoying.

Another problem is sometimes when snapping, Aero Shake is triggered (where you shake a window and all but that one minimises). It doesn't happen very often but there must be specific cases that are causing it. Maybe when 2 windows are close together and the window you're moving bounces between them.

Something else i've noticed is the mouse cursor moves from the point on the window where you first clicked after the window snaps. I have 3 monitors and just dragging a window across them makes the cursor move about an inch from where it started on the title bar. I keep having to let go and click again to move windows into place because the cursor is off the window and hits the edge of the screen.

I imagine most of the problems can be fixed by disabling the aero features, but I don't have any problems with WindowSpace so it must be possible to make them both play nice together.

Tatiana Jack
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 12/17/2009 03:29:10

Dear Rocky,

Please, describe how it should work?

We installed WindowSpace on our test machine and didn't find the different with AWM Classic snap work.

Thank you for help!

E-mail: support@actualtools.com

Rocky

Posted: 12/17/2009 07:31:34

I found out that Aero Shake is triggered by WindowSpace too, I had just never noticed before. I guess there's nothing you can do about that as Windows is just interpreting the snapping and unsnapping of windows as a shake.

I've made a couple of videos to show you the other problems.

AWM video | AWM cursor video
First of all I touch the edges of the screen with the cursor, you can see the window resizing to full width or height depending on which edge I touch. After that I move the window across all my monitors and back, you can see the cursor moving away from the original point each time and the second time it's nowhere near the window anymore. The second video is just to show the cursor moving even just on a single screen with a few windows for it to snap to.

WindowSpace video
This video is to demonstrate that neither of problems happen with WindowSpace

I actually found another problem while making these videos. I'm on 64bit Windows 7 and the windows of 64bit apps don't snap to other windows, although they do snap to the edge of the screen.
AWM 64bit video
Sublime Text is 32bit and Notepad is 64bit.

Hope that helps

Tatiana Jack
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 12/18/2009 04:04:34

Dear Rocky,

Thank you very much for your explanations.

All problems were confirmed. We'll fix it.

E-mail: support@actualtools.com

Rocky

Posted: 12/18/2009 07:42:53

I've found another couple of oddities.

The first is when a window is snapped to the edge of the screen on one side and you resize the window from the opposite edge, the whole window moves over a little bit. Video

The second is when a window is snapped to 2 edges and you resize horizontally, it acts like it's snapping to a grid. Video

I think both of these are caused by the same thing because if you snap a window to the right side of the screen, both can happen in certain cases. Video

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 12/19/2009 01:39:51

Rocky,

Thank you for such a thorough testing and vivid problem explanations!

Thanks to your reports, all problems have been localized and fixed. Classic snapping will work correctly in the final version 5.5. Please keep informing us about any other inconsistencies you may notice.

Thanks again!

Rocky

Posted: 12/22/2009 21:01:36

I've noticed a couple of minor things with the quick settings dialog.

When snapping, it always uses the inside edge of the window frame. I've not noticed this happening on any other windows, but it's worth mentioning anyway.

The other problem is not related to snapping, but more of an annoyance. When opening the quick settings, either from the context menu or middle clicking, it always appears behind the window it's opened from so you have to click it to bring it to focus. For big windows it's hidden completely so you have to minimise to see it.

Video showing both problems :)

Rocky

Posted: 01/15/2010 05:39:34

Most of the snapping problems are gone in 6.0b1 which is great, thanks :D

However, the drifting cursor and both the quick settings problems are still there.

Rocky

Posted: 01/15/2010 12:57:01

Found some more :)

1) When a window is snapped to an edge and another window is within the snap distance on the opposite edge, trying to move the window can get it "stuck" as it's fighting to snap to both edges. Video
At the start i'm dragging to the left and you can see the cursor jumping back as the window is stuck. The cursor slowly moves right also which i presume is caused by the drifting cursor bug i've shown before.

2) When a window uses the "Fix maximal size to" setting and is at its maximum size, doing an Aero Snap preview causes the window to jump to where the preview shows. It doesn't happen when only 1 or no sides are at the maximum. Video

3) When a window is maximised and it is moved by dragging the title bar, the window doesn't snap to anything until you let go. Video

4) When a window that is snapped to the edge of the screen is resized to the other edge, it snaps back to its original size. Video.
Trying to resize it twice makes the window remember that size, so when you unsnap it it jumps to the full height of the desktop.

5) This is a weird one I found while making the above videos. There is an invisible 300x200px box in the top left corner of the screen which windows are snapping to. Video
I've tried a couple of apps that find windows (as well as the target window finder in AWM) and nothing picks it up as a window. It only shows up on my #1 monitor (which isn't set as my primary monitor)

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 01/30/2010 02:32:52

Rocky, thanks again for such a scrupulous testing and thorough reporting! :) I'd like to notify you that most of the reported problems have been confirmed and fixed so that the release version will be free of them.

We didn't find a proper solution for the issue #2 yet so it's possible it will remain a "known issue" in the new version.

As for the issue #5, we failed to reproduce it on our test machines. Is it reliably reproducible on your machine or it was an intermittent bug?

Messages 1 - 10 of 11
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register