New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 11 - 14 of 14
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Virtual Desktop 'automagically' switches » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 23525

Jolly Wykoff

Posted: 11/24/2009 10:36:41

the fast switching is fixed for me also. As a matter of usage, I think it would be nice to have the option of having AWM automatically switch you to a completed process or NOT. It gets annoying when you are intent on something on one desktop and suddenly in the middle of typing you are switched to another desktop.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 12/07/2009 07:56:56

Just to chip in, I haven't had the endless loop since moving to beta 3. But I do have a problem with hotkey switching whereby switching to desktop 2 quickly reverts back to desktop 1. If I use the switcher window, the problem doesn't happen, but if I use hotkeys, it does.

Currently I have the following apps open:

Desktop 1:
FreeCommander Portable
Lotus Notes Portable
MS Excel
MS Excel Visual Basic
AWM Log
Firefox Portable

Desktop 2:
MediaMonkey
Notepad++ Portable

I think the problem is to do with focus - I use TweakUI to enable XMouse so focus follows the mouse. What I've found is this:

On first switch from Desktop 1 to Desktop 2 (via hotkey), AWM switches straight back to Desktop 1. Then if I don't move the mouse, so no window on Desktop 1 gets focus, I can switch to Desktop 2 via hotkey fine. However, if I move the mouse after the flick back to Desktop 1 so that a window gets focus, then on the next press of the hotkey I get Desktop 2 and immediately a switch back to Desktop 1.

I've attached the log window for when this happened.

Cheers,

Dave.

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 12/10/2009 11:23:49

Gentlemen,

In the recently released beta 4 there is an option to turn the automatic desktop switching off. Please could you check it out to see whether it enhances the Virtual Desktops usability or not? Thanks!

Matt Rasmussen
Advanced user

Posted: 12/10/2009 14:12:18

I just installed B4 and gave it a test.

With the 'Auto-Switch desktop' unchecked it does not change desktops when an active process dialog box finishes on another desktop. YES!  But I still do have the issue that process dialog boxes that normally automatically close, do not automatically close when complete as they would if they finished while you were still on the same desktop.

It's always the small stuff that seems to make a big difference in workflow, and to me this is one of those big differences with such a tiny checkbox!

Thanks!

Messages 11 - 14 of 14
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register