New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 11 - 20 of 92
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Explorer and system issues with 5.2 Beta 2 under Vista 64-bit , Windows Explorer still hangs when AWM settings are saved, and more. » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 199117

Martyn Kenyon
Advanced user

Posted: 09/25/2008 03:01:10

Jeff,

I have had the problem of explorer.exe becoming unresponsive, but it does not seem to be tied to saving AWM settings.  It just seems to happen from time to time when AWM 5.2b2 is running.

Regards

Martyn

Jeffrey R. Broido

Bona fide, old fart, retro hippie.

Posted: 09/25/2008 08:48:32

Martyn,

If you have some time, please try this: Make sure that Taskinfo is running and that its tray icon isn't disabled.  On any tracked window, click the wrench title bar icon, hit modify applied settings, change something, hit the Save button, change it back, hit save, and so on.  Do this, perhaps, five or six times in a row and see if your shell hangs to the point that explorer.ext must be restarted.  If it doesn't hang your shell, perhaps it is a 64-bit issue after all.

Jeff

Martyn Kenyon
Advanced user

Posted: 09/25/2008 12:04:50

Jeff,

I tried that.  Saved settings about 10 times.  Explorer.exe kept working OK but I got a Microsoft Windows dialogue box which says:

Actual Windows Manager has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Regards

Martyn

Martyn Kenyon
Advanced user

Posted: 09/25/2008 12:12:38

Jeff,

I've just noticed that although I clicked the close program button, in fact AWM was still there and I was able to make a change and save it OK.

I made changes and saved them about 20 times and no problem.

Another strange thing:

I run EarthSunX which minimises to a small bar at the top of the screen.

When I was making changes to AWM settings and saving them at first the minimised bar expanded down the screen every time (the window was the width of the bar, not the width of the window which appears when I mouse over the bar and the window content was black - not the normal display of world time).

However, since I got the "stopped working" message the EarthsunX bar does not expand when I save AWM settings

Regards

Martyn

Martyn Kenyon
Advanced user

Posted: 09/26/2008 03:21:05

Jeff,

A further update.

After running the tests on saving AWM settings I exited AWM.   My system seemed to be running as normal.  I left it running overnight.  When I came in this morning all my normal applications were still running and I could interact with them (e.g. firefox).  However, I noticed that the clock on my Windows Sidebar appeared to have stopped.   The system time settings shown from the control panel were correct but the clock gadget in my sidebar was stopped.

I clicked on the sidebar and got a Windows message to say it was unresponsive.  At this point the shell crashed and the only way forward was a reboot.

Regards

Martyn

Jeffrey R. Broido

Posted: 09/26/2008 06:26:44

Martyn,

Yes, I've seen that one, too, and I find that the sidebar crashes often along with the shell.  And I've also seen the system misbehave when AWM is shutdown, though by the time I'm trying to shut it down, things have generally already deteriorated.

Jeff

Jeffrey R. Broido

Posted: 09/26/2008 13:47:37

Alex,

Now that we have a clue as to what has been causing my severe problems, and now that we have a couple of other Actual Window Manager customers using Vista who have been suffering some or all of the same problems, can you suggest a course of action?

Regards,
Jeff

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 09/30/2008 05:24:28

Jeff, Martyn, Gerard, Matt,

Thank you, gentlemen, for a fruitful discussion! It gave us plenty of new information (though it looks a bit uncoordinated).

We have checked the issue with the primary suspect - IARSN TaskInfo 8.1.0.270 - on our test machine (a clean installation of Vista x64 SP1). Unfortunately, all our attempts reveal nothing similar to all described issues (such as Explorer hangup after saving configuration or making system sluggish) - either with TaskInfo or without it.

It's quite possible that the described problems depend on a certain hardware so here is the 1st question to clarify:

Please specify (of course, if you know) what actual architecture your Xeon processor is based on: Conroe, Wolfdale, Kentsfield, etc., as specified here.

In addition, it would be nice if you check do you have the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) technology turned on in your system: Control Panel -> System -> Advanced tab -> Performance Settings button -> Data Execution Prevention tab. Please report here this option's state.

Another fine point which relates mostly to you, Jeff, is the following:

Please specify does your Explorer hang when you change ITS particular specific settings or when you change ANY settings with no relation to Explorer at all.

Thank you all for your invaluable help!

Martyn Kenyon
Advanced user

Posted: 09/30/2008 05:59:07

Alex,

My system is set with DEP turned on for essential Windows programs and services only.

I get the explorer hang if I run AWM.  I don't need to change any settings to force it to hang - just leave AWM running for a while.

I will email you a Belarc output from my machine so you can see exactly what hardware and software I have installed

Martyn

Martyn

Jeffrey R. Broido

Posted: 10/01/2008 13:00:22

Alexey,

In answer to your questions: 1) My CPU is a Clovertown, X5355 (quad, 2.66GHz, 1333MHz FSB).  2) DEP is on with specific exceptions.  3) Saving parameters for ANY window causes the shell failure, not just saving parameters for shell windows.  Changing global parameters also often causes this, as does stopping and restarting Actual Window Manager, etc.  I'll e-mail you a Belarc report, too.

Regards,
Jeff

Messages 11 - 20 of 92
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login