New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 11
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Program crashes with AIM 5.2 Beta 1 under Vista Ultimate 64-bit , Changing AIM parameters crashes explorer.exe, at least. » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 27955

Jeffrey R. Broido

Bona fide, old fart, retro hippie.

Posted: 07/16/2008 11:22:08

Folks,

I just eagerly downloaded Actual Window Manager 5.2 Beta 1, installed it and rebooted.  I'm sorry to report that the only truly severe problem I've had since first installing this product still exists.  To wit, whenever any AIM settings are saved, or when AIM is stopped or unloaded, explorer.exe crashes and, often, other open applications crash as well.  The first time I tested this with 5.2b1 this morning, explorer.exe crashed, the Vista sidebar crashed and IE became unresponsive.

I have no other window managers that I know of installed on this system.  The only system level software I have installed that I can think of is realvnc.com's VNC Personal Edition 4.4.2 (though when I shut-down or even unregister its service, the AIM 5.2b1 crashes still occur) and the NOD32 anti-virus system from eset.com.  If I disable all of NOD32's hooks temporarily, the AIM 5.2b1 crashes still occur.

The way I've been using AIM since first installing it on this system (and it's a purchased, licensed copy, I might add) is as follows: If I want to make a change to any AIM settings, I first save any work, copy all web content to a backup system, login to my router to reroute http requests to that system, make the AIM setting change, respond to any and all Vista crash reports and tell Vista to restart my shell and any other crashed software.  Then, if my system recovers (and about a third of the time I have to give-up and reboot), I login to the router to move the http server route back to this system.  As you can see, I'd really like to see this problem go away.  And, while it is distinctly possible that an untoward interaction with another software package might be part of the cause, it is my interactions with AIM which trigger the crashes.  I respectfully request that you work with me to find and solve the problem.

Of the Actual Window Manager user community, I ask if you've ever experienced problems with program crashes, especially the shell, when Actual Window Manager settings are saved.

Thank you for your consideration!

Your loyal and enthusiastic beta tester,
Jeff Broido

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 07/22/2008 04:42:55

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for such a detailed report. I'm sorry for the delay with this reply and for the troubles caused by AIM on your system. Please remind me what version of Vista do you use.

As for tracking down the possible reason of such crashes, I'd suggest the following:

1. Can you check AIM on any other Vista machine to make sure the described problem is general?

2. If there's no possibility to install and test AIM on other PC, you could try to disable as many AIM features as possible, trying to get rid of the described crash while saving. I'd suggest you to disable Default settings, all Specific settings, the Manage Settings options (both button and menu item) and all Control Center tools (such as Windows Layout, Virtual Desktops, Multiple Monitors and Command Prompt Windows Support). If disabling all features leads to crash disappearance, then try to activate them one-by-one and check the results of enabling the particular feature. Of course, such process is dull and time-consuming but we need something to start from.

Thank you very much for your help!

Jeffrey R. Broido

Bona fide, old fart, retro hippie.

Posted: 07/22/2008 11:17:38

Dear Mr. Fadeyev,

This will be tricky as we're talking about our main server (which is also my workstation), but I will take a block of time this weekend, move all server routes and files to my wife's system and will try your test.

As for another system, whilst we do have three other systems on our little net full-time, all are running XP.  I did test 5.0 for a time on my in-laws' system, which is 32-bit Vista on a 32-bit platform, and I did see this problem, but either the problem is worse on 64-bit systems or there is some particular problem with mine.  In other words, the problem is consistent on my 64-bit system and intermittent on my in-laws' 32-bit system.  Sorry to say, I can no longer test using their system.

The version of Vista is Ultimate, 64-bit, build 6000 with all maintenance other than SP1, which can't be installed on my system until SigmaTel comes up with a driver for my sound chipset which will work with Vista SP1.

Meanwhile, I will repeat my question to the beta tester community: have any of you seen anything like this problem?

Thanks!
Jeff

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 07/23/2008 01:47:49

Dear Mr. Fadeyev

Please call me Alex. :)

Meanwhile, I will repeat my question to the beta tester community: have any of you seen anything like this problem?

Yes, it would be nice to know if anyone has something similar?

While we are waiting for any feedback, let me give you one more tip: when you encounter the crash please open the error report and save the extended info (such as the error code, the module name, the list of currently loaded modules, stack etc.), then provide me the instances of such error reports to support@actualtools.com for deeper analyzing.

Sorry for such inconveniences.

Martyn Kenyon
Advanced user

Posted: 07/28/2008 02:25:07

Hi,

I'm using AWM 5.1 on Vista 32 bit machine with quad processor and 3 monitors. I see this problem regularly.

The machine works fine all day.  I leave it running overnight and most mornings I find Outlook, Firefox and explorer.exe not responding.  The only way to get back is reboot.

When I reboot and outlook reconnects to Exchange it usually reports that last synch occurred about 2:00 a.m.

Martyn

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 07/28/2008 09:46:20

Martyn,

Thank you for your feedback! Please answer the following questions:

1. Do you have some kind of scheduled task in any installed program, which could start everyday after 2:00am?

2. If you shut down AWM before leaving your machine for the night - does the problem disappear?

Thank you.

Martyn Kenyon
Advanced user

Posted: 07/30/2008 01:52:05

Alex,

I checked scheduled tasks and found 2 things:

1. There was a task left over from software I had uninstalled (XFiles Dialogue) which ran at log on and failed every time - I deleted this task

2. My anti virus software (ESET) performed log file maintenance at 2:00 a.m.   I changed this to run at 4:00 a.m.

I left AWM running and this morning - no problems.  I'll let you know if any problems occur over the next few days.

Martyn

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 07/30/2008 12:45:53

Martyn,

Well, please keep me updated.

Rogerio Souza

Posted: 08/02/2008 13:13:19

I don't speak and nor I write the English language correctly.

I inform that when I activate the Virtual Desktops, AIM 5.1 restraint completely my Windows XP Pro x64 Edition 2003 SP 2, v. 4045 (notebook HP6720s Intel Colors 2 Duo T5470 1.60 GHz 2 GB RAM)

Thank you for their regard...

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
Fight, fight & fight

Rogerio Souza

Posted: 08/02/2008 17:36:12

[Windows XP Pro x64 Edition 2003 SP 2, v. 4045. NoteBook HP6720s Intel Colors 2 Duo T5470 1.60 GHz 2 GB RAM]

Correcting: the version AIM 5.2b1 worked with the option [Virtual Desktops] in my Windowx XP Pro x64

Observation: The option [Enable hotkey] it was hidden in the window. I only got to see her when I maximized the window of options manually

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
Fight, fight & fight

Messages 1 - 10 of 11
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login