Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Long time no see! :o) I got something for you guys! , 6 Found issues / 7 Interesting suggestions » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 6921

Zack Depp

Posted: 06/23/2008 15:29:19

Hello Michael,

I have to say: in the last versions of your AWM soft, you added some really awesome features like changing the icon on startup or moving window to another monitor. I'm happy to see such great ideas coming to life! :)

Here's a little list of issues I receltly noticed:

* Note: I am using AWM 5.0, MSN 8.5.1302.1018 and "Windows Vista Business Edition" (without SP1) on a two monitor setup.

Issue #1: "Toad", a well known free sql application, does not seem to be affected by AWM; nor by the title buttons nor by hotkey actions.

Issue #2: I applyed transparency on startup of a window; but need to hit transparency toggle hotkeys two times to remove transparency.

Issue #3: There seems to be a glitch with the "align" function of the "startup" feature on a msn conversation window. I wanted it to be open to a specific location(bottom-right of the 2nd monitor; marginX: 10pixels; marginY: 10pixels) on startup. But sometimes it doesn't work; it's opening somewhere else on the screen. Same thing for the "resize" feature.

Issue #4: There's a window refresh problem occuring with msn conversation windows with transparency applied(ex: 80%). Pressing CTRL-E on it will bring up the emoticon window. The problem happens when clicking on the url located to the top-right of the emoticon window, then pressing escape. The transparent window is not redrawn correctly.

Issue #5: There seems to be a problem with the replacement icon's definition (see screenshot, first image). The screenshot is in fact the application switching window from vista (accessible using ALT-TAB). The first icon in the list is the app which has a replaced icon and the second one is the actual app I took the icon from (it's exe) for replacement. Icons are unidentical.

Issue #6: An access violation occured to me (see screenshot, second image) while trying to copy the last of my windows rules. I had to kill the process. It happened one time only and I can't seem to be able to reproduce the problem.

And here are some suggestions:

Suggestion #1: Add "Send Window to tray" feature in "Startup" feature.

Suggestion #2: While dragging the "target" over windows, hitting the escape key would reset the values(executable, caption, class) and change back the cursor. Otherwise we have to close the manager to discard the modifications.

Suggestion #3: Allow copy of multiple window rules at the time.

Suggestion #4: Add window rules "grouping" feature in "specific settings". This would help organizing rules.

Suggestion #5: Add feature: Prevent window from flashing in taskbar.

Suggestion #6: Support boolean caption matching (as an advanced feature) in "Target Window". This would avoid having plenty of rules for similar windows. Here's an example: I want my job contacts msn conversation windows to appear on my first monitor, but I want all other msn conversation windows to appear on my second one. Actually i'd have to create a rule for every contact in my msn, witch gets complicated when you have let say a hundred contacts and you want to change a simple detail for each and every one of their rules. In fact, I currently have only 10 rules for msn contacts, and I already find this annoying. In this case, the boolean string could be something like: (("Sophia" OR "Michael" OR "John Smith") AND NOT ("Jack" OR "Bob")). Note: Wildcards could also be interesting to have but might require some thinking since the '*' character is allowed in a window's caption.

Suggestion #7: Apply the startup actions (icon switching, transparency, etc...) before the window appears (if it can be done). That would avoid flickering impression. Maybe a customisable delay (in ms) before making window visible would also be usefull.

While i'm at it; I'd like to know if, besides the BetaTesting program, you offer any job opportunities or something? I might be interested in contributing more with my ideas.

Keep up the great work! :)

Sincerely,
Zack

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 06/25/2008 00:10:02

Hello Zack,

Thanks for your interest to Actual Tools.

First of all let me leave comments to the suggestions:

1) Currently at the Startup property sheet you can find the option called Open as, mark it and choose the Minimzied item in the corresponding group of controls and define the minimization mode at the Minimizing property sheet. Sounds complicated, but it's really easy to configure.
2) That's an interesting suggestion indeed, I've registered it in our to-do list.
3-4) please read about Multi-selection edit mode here  
5) We'll consider it.
6) The problem can be solved without boolean caption matching: For contacts referring to "Job", enable window caption criterion, enter "Job" there and choose substring match. Using the already known Multi-selection mode configure the required windows as you wish.
7) Unfortunately this cannot be done.

The comments on the found issues we'll leave later.

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 06/25/2008 03:16:05

Issues:

1) "Toad". Try to do the following:
[*]Stop AWM's Control Center (simply right-click its tray icon and choose "Exit").
[*]Go to Program Files->Actual Window Manager, open the folder.
[*]Find ActualWindowManagerCenter.exe, right-click it, Run as Administrator.

Does it help?

2) That's not the bug, that's how it currently works.

As to the issues concerning MSN:

3) The glitch doesn't confirm. BTW what version of AWM do you have? Is it 5.1? Please further trace the conditions under which it happens.

4) What exactly "url located to the top-right of the emoticon window" do you mean, is it More?

5) This happens only under Vista. We'll try to improve this behavior in the next version of our programs.

Zack Depp

Posted: 07/03/2008 08:54:39

Issues:

1) Nope, it dosen't. by the way I got the UAC already turned off.

2) Bummer! :( Why is that?

3) Version 5.0; it happens every now and then, I could'nt say in which conditions!

4) I guess it is! I use the french version that says "tout afficher".

By the way, have you read the whole message? Do I have to write a personnal message concerning the job opportunities?

Thanx

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register