New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 14
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Virtual desktop feature , Doesn't work at all for me » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 25866

Scott
Advanced user

Posted: 04/21/2008 10:38:56

AWM 5.1 beta 1
WinXP Pro SP2

I set up two virtual desktops.  When I used the tray icon to switch to desktop 2, it would appear, but the moment I clicked anywhere, AWM would instantly switch back to desktop 1.

Then I set up a hotkey for each desktop (Win+V for one, Win+W for the other).  When I'd try switching to desktop 2, what would happen is that it would switch for a split second while I pressed the hotkey, but would revert back to desktop 1 as soon as I released.

Now I've disabled the virtual desktop feature, and some of my windows are hidden.  Seems AWM does not handle the disabling of the virtual desktop feature gracefully.

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 04/21/2008 23:50:59

Scott,

Please clarify what application windows exactly did you use with virtual desktops? What windows are hidden? We need further information as we cannot reproduce the problems.

Dan D'Eramo

Posted: 04/22/2008 11:03:10

Here is what I saw:

I could create the second virtual desktop, but its name was not listed on the menu on the AWM tray icon until after I did a "stop" and restart of AWM (not an exit and restart).

Once I did that and could get to the alternate virtual desktop, things were okay except that trying to bring up an application (non AWM) menu caused a transition back to the main virtual desktop.

But after focus (which follows pointer on my Windows XP SP2 system) landed on a "cmd" command prompt window on the alternate virtual desktop, things got messed up like in the original post.  Focus going to the command prompt window would jump to the main virtual desktop.  I would go back and try again.  After doing that a few times is when I think the immediate return to main virtual desktop started.

The missing window was any application that was still on the second virtual desktop.

An AWM stop brought all windows back to the (now both non-virtual and the only) desktop.  I restarted AWM and worked on just the main virtual desktop for a while.  Later I tried to go to the empty second virtual desktop.  It succeeded and stayed there.

When I change the Desktop background on the second virtual desktop though it changes it for both virtual desktops.  (The main uses "Default" and the second uses "Custom" in the options... dialog.)

Dan

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 04/23/2008 23:10:57

Dan,

The problem when the second desktop is not listed i the menu confirmed, we will try to fix this.

As to the switching focus issue, please specify, is it a sporadic behavior or it happens everytime you follow the described procedure?

Scott
Advanced user

Posted: 04/27/2008 22:15:25

I just tried the virtual desktop feature again.  It didn't take long for me to break it.

All I had to do was setup up two desktops, each with a hotkey.  Use the hotkey a few times, click on the desktop, open AWM configuration and set one of the two desktops to use blank wallpaper, use the hotkey a few more times, then it stopped working.

What happened was that some of the applications on desktop 1 "jumped" to desktop 2.  Firefox is one of them, Directory Opus is another.  They were in desktop 1, then after a few hotkey presses, they jumped to desktop 2, and were no longer on desktop 1.

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 04/29/2008 04:12:16

Scott,

Please specify what you meant saying:
Use the hotkey a few times

Does it mean that you click one and the same hotkey several times, say Win+W, or Win+W and Win+V accordingly?

Scott
Advanced user

Posted: 04/29/2008 20:54:01

I mean I alternate between Win+W and Win+V a few times.

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 04/30/2008 01:51:31

We have finally detected the bug, now we are trying to fix it.

Dan D'Eramo

Posted: 05/03/2008 12:26:33

Firefox is my default web browser, and it is set to open new things in a new tab in its current single window -- no multiple windows.  I keep that window on the primary desktop.

An application "B" on the second virtual desktop launched an url, so the view jumped back to the primary desktop and restored Firefox from minimization and showed the url in a new tab.

Now bring that application "B" from the second virtual desktop to the primary (or to all desktops, I forget which) desktops.  Launch another url from application "B" while on the primary desktop.  Firefox gets pushed to the second virtual desktop, as if AWM had memorized that it belongs to "whichever virtual desktop is not currently displayed".

I hope this is just another symptom of the same bug that you have already found.

Thanks,
Dan

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 05/04/2008 00:40:19

Dan,  

Please specify what version of Firefox are you currently using? Does it happen with another browser, Internet Explorer, for exampe?

Messages 1 - 10 of 14
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register